PDA

View Full Version : One of my favorite books

Lauren81492
10-20-2007, 01:24 PM
I can't believe no one's posted here! If anyone happens to come across this post, you really should read "The Innocents Abroad". It is really very funny and well worth it.

togre
04-17-2008, 12:01 PM
I don't know. I didn't enjoy Innocents Abroad all that much. Don't get me wrong, Twain's amazing gift of narrative and his ingenuity can through out this work as well as ever. It was just so bitter, dry and sarcastic. For example, when they were at Pompeii they saw a soldier who was covered in ash at his post when the eruption occurred. Twain marvels at the sense of duty this soldier has until he realizes he was probably a policeman which means he obviously had fallen asleep at his post!

It gets old after a while. I mean, I don't read (especially Twain) to find all the nit-picky faults of people and the world. I know they are there. It just, I don't know, depresses me to read a couple hundred pages of sarcasm and sniping.

DDE
07-29-2008, 03:07 AM
Well, I enjoyed reading Innocents Abroad and found it hilarious, a true Mark Twain style...

monk09
07-01-2009, 05:14 PM
I LOVED this book. It had me laughing out loud. Twain's description of his Turkish Bath adventure alone made it worth reading. I liked how he exposes the pretension of guide books and tourists who ooh and awe over something just because they're supposed to. I've been to the Louvre and I know exactly what he means when he wearies over the acres and acres of monks and saints gazing into the clouds. Exactly.

I cherished each page, as I do with almost all Twain's writing.