PDA

View Full Version : Which book to read first?

Robert Musgrave
10-16-2007, 09:27 PM
Hi all - I am a newbie!!

After hearing so many people reference F. Scott Fitzgerald I have decided it is high time to get reading some of his work.

But I don't know where to start?

Is there a book that sums up what his style of writing is all about?

Thanks
Robert

manolia
10-17-2007, 10:02 AM
I have recently read "The great Gatsby" which is a very good book. I haven't read any other of his books but someone whose opinion i appreciate recommended me "Tender is the night". Perhaps you should consider these two.
Welcome to the forum :)

Virgil
10-17-2007, 10:21 AM
Hi all - I am a newbie!!

After hearing so many people reference F. Scott Fitzgerald I have decided it is high time to get reading some of his work.

But I don't know where to start?

Is there a book that sums up what his style of writing is all about?

Thanks
Robert

Defintely The Great Gatsby, one of the truely great American novels. I've read Tender Is The Night, a good novel, but not great. You may want to read a collection of his short stories. Some of them are outstanding.

Robert Musgrave
10-18-2007, 01:23 AM
Thanks for you help.
What sort novel should I expect the Great Gatsby to be?

stella
10-18-2007, 04:38 AM
i loved THE GREAT GATSBY so much it has all my favourite story elements .
Robert i suggest that you read a review of the book to know if it 's your kind of books.

Virgil
10-18-2007, 06:57 AM
Thanks for you help.
What sort novel should I expect the Great Gatsby to be?

I guess you can call it a tragic love affair. But it's more than that.

Sir Bartholomew
12-27-2007, 10:07 PM
it doesn't really matter which. I only read two (The Great Gatsby and Tender is the Night) both are OK but very distinct like polar opposites; examples of Fitzgerald's strict discipline, economy and reticence (Gatsby) and all out abandon (Tender is the Night).

kelby_lake
04-10-2008, 09:33 AM
If you like The Great Gatsby, read The Last Tycoon. It's unfinished but the books are very similar.