PDA

View Full Version : dostoevsky viewpoints...

wagnernn
10-14-2007, 11:49 PM
I've read many works of Dostoevsky and I find is very difficult for me to understand the whole viewpoints of him,so please summarize the viewpoints of Dostoevsky for me.

blazeofglory
10-15-2007, 09:16 PM
I've read many works of Dostoevsky and I find is very difficult for me to understand the whole viewpoints of him,so please summarize the viewpoints of Dostoevsky for me.

In fact Dostoevsky is a great writer, and he is indeed one of the few who remain immortal against the sands of time. He is from some perspective the greatest writer. I have not read much but one novel and a story written by him, one is Crime and punishment and the other is the dream of a ridiculous man. The second one I read recently. He could present the extent of human predicament, humiliation, frustration and amidst all of these frivolities a ray of hope and man still can dream and live on and on.

That is why perhaps Sartre was highly indebted to him

wagnernn
10-15-2007, 09:55 PM
And why Nietzsche agreed with Dostoevsky so much (Dostoevsky works deal with religion)?

bazarov
10-17-2007, 05:49 AM
Nietszche was delighted with novel The Possessed. In that novel, Dostoevsky was giving his thoughts about existentialism and nihilism, and questions about God.

johann cruyff
03-22-2008, 08:23 AM
It's not easy summarizing his viewpoints,since Dostoevsky wasn't a proponent of a single idea or philosophy.Indeed,there are way too many perspectives from which you can read his novels to synthesize them into a single idea.

For instance,when I read The Brothers Karamazov I could find both the elements of Christian apologetics and pure atheism - it really depends on the way you read and analyze the book.