PDA

View Full Version : Darcy or Tilney?

cactus
10-04-2007, 07:47 PM
Hi everyone,

My sister had recently finished all of Jane Austen's novels and we subsequently had a discussion about Darcy and Tilney. My sister asked me if I had the chance to meet both men which one would I choose, which one would I likely fall in love. Now I put forward this question to you all. Between Darcy and Tilney which one appeals to you and why? Which one fits more into your picture of the perfect man? ;)

cactus
10-28-2007, 06:44 PM
hmmmm.... this thread has no response.... does this mean you cannot see anyone more appealing than Mr Darcy?

Mr Darcy is the serious type but has very noble qualities while Mr Tilney is funny and charming and also has great qualities.

Dark Muse
11-06-2007, 04:56 PM
I would have to say Mr. Darcy I had always liked him from the start, even when Elizabeth did not much care for him. Though Mr. Tilney on the other hand, I found a tad annoying at times.

LadyWentworth
11-07-2007, 01:44 AM
I would have to say Mr. Darcy I had always liked him from the start, even when Elizabeth did not much care for him.

Me, too! Definitely Darcy!! I think there's this enigma about him in the beginning of the story, and that is what first intrigued me to him. Honestly, I didn't have that much of a problem with him at all in the beginning. My "fondness" for him just increased more throughout the story as his character really started to develop and we were able to "see" the real Darcy.

I just don't get the Tilney thing. Then again, I love Captain Wentworth. So, I would put him above Darcy! :)

cactus
11-07-2007, 05:43 AM
That is so interesting. I chose Darcy too. However, I have always thought women are generally more attracted to the funny, charming and socially adept sort of guys. Perhaps I am wrong....

Niamh
11-07-2007, 06:40 AM
Then again, I love Captain Wentworth. So, I would put him above Darcy! :)

:nod: Oh how i agree with you!

Dark Muse
11-07-2007, 12:07 PM
That is so interesting. I chose Darcy too. However, I have always thought women are generally more attracted to the funny, charming and socially adept sort of guys. Perhaps I am wrong....

I sort of like dark and brooding, and well considering I myself am not very socially adept, besides I like other people just as much as Mr. Darcy seems to at times.

LadyWentworth
11-08-2007, 04:48 PM
:nod: Oh how i agree with you!

Isn't kind of a wonder that more people don't prefer Wentworth?

cactus
11-09-2007, 01:44 AM
Isn't kind of a wonder that more people don't prefer Wentworth?

hmmmm, it is an interesting question. Actually, come to think of it I have no idea why I have never thought of Captain Wentworth. Perhaps, Anne had been too much of a focus....

LadyWentworth
11-15-2007, 02:04 AM
besides I like other people just as much as Mr. Darcy seems to at times.

:) I loved that statement! I can be like that, too! Honestly, I felt myself "siding" with his attitude towards others quite often during the story! :)

hmmmm, it is an interesting question. Actually, come to think of it I have no idea why I have never thought of Captain Wentworth. Perhaps, Anne had been too much of a focus....

Well, Anne is Persuasion. So I suppose she would've focused mainly on her, and as much as she did. I didn't mind that at all, actually. I do wish, though, that Wentworth had a little more going on in the story (kind of like Darcy). Then again, I think that makes him all that more appealing. He isn't in the novel perhaps as much as I would like him to be. But when he is, it is never a disappointment. Each scene that involved him in that story stood out to me. Just the "little" things even. For example, when he notices Elliott taking notice of Anne for the first time. Or, even better, the letter:

"You pierce my soul."
"I offer myself to you again with a heart even more your own than when you almost broke it, eight years and a half ago."
"You alone have brought me to Bath. For you alone, I think and plan."

and the best...

"I have loved none but you."

How could Darcy ever top any of that??

How pathetic am I that I actually memorized that letter?!??!?!

amanda_isabel
11-15-2007, 07:28 AM
darcy for me. i even wish he were real... (and mine..)

Niamh
11-15-2007, 03:28 PM
"You pierce my soul."
"I offer myself to you again with a heart even more your own than when you almost broke it, eight years and a half ago."

and the best...

Every time i read those lines i melt. *swoons dreamily*

LadyWentworth
11-15-2007, 06:36 PM
Every time i read those lines i melt. *swoons dreamily*

I know!! I first read it when I was 14. It still has the exact same effect on me now as it did then (if not even more so now). Wouldn't you just succumb to a man if he wrote those words to you? ;)

Niamh
11-15-2007, 06:49 PM
I know!! I first read it when I was 14. It still has the exact same effect on me now as it did then (if not even more so now). Wouldn't you just succumb to a man if he wrote those words to you? ;)

:nod: to me he is by far the only Austen character one can truely fall for.

browneyedbailey
11-15-2007, 08:25 PM
Darcy! Duh. He's not afriad to speak his mind or show his feelings.

cactus
11-15-2007, 11:26 PM
"You pierce my soul."

and the best...

Hmmmm... you really got me there.. You have also made me want to re-read Persuasion again, to read it in a different light, ie to focus my attention on Captain Wentworth....

LadyWentworth
11-16-2007, 01:57 AM
:nod: to me he is by far the only Austen character one can truely fall for.

I definitely agree with that. I had the men that I "preferred" in her novels, but it wasn't until Persuasion that I realized that Wentworth was the only man to not only prefer more than the others, but to actually be worthy of falling in love with!

Hmmmm... you really got me there.. You have also made me want to re-read Persuasion again, to read it in a different light, ie to focus my attention on Captain Wentworth....

You must read it again! A little Wentworth definitely doesn't hurt anyone! :) I know how much I was taken by him (and the entire book) the first time that I read it, but it was even better the second time around! :)

Niamh
11-16-2007, 05:57 AM
Oh you sholud read it again cactus. :nod:

happyeverafter
01-25-2008, 08:46 PM
Yeah....personally i think the only possible competition for Mister Darcy is Captain Wentworth from Persuasion.

halee
03-14-2008, 08:37 PM
im the same with mr darcy!! every time i open pride and prejudice i actualy tingle with anticipation!!:yawnb:

MARIANNE M
10-24-2008, 04:51 PM
Ok, I really love Mr. Darcy but I know I would hate him from the first moment. In modern times it is difficult or nearly impossible that he would act like he does in the novel.
I adore Henry Tilney a funny easy going man, he's a positive and playful person.
As for Cap. Wentworth, I agree, he's the only man to compete with Darcy. Faithful to true love (so rare in men now!) and that letter!. Who can resist a letter like this?

Snowqueen
01-31-2011, 12:51 PM
Tilney is frank and an easygoing person but, for me he lacks the dignity and elegance that Darcy possesses.

nida
02-07-2011, 03:31 AM
i don't know about Tilney, i have not read it yet. but i first watched Pride and Prejudice movie and than read the novel for i liked Mr. Darcy's character and wanted to know more about him. and i like his ability to judge people's character, though may be mistaken in jane's case but still...
and the best thing about mr. Darcy ... once his good opinion lost is lost for ever - Iam like him

kelby_lake
02-07-2011, 06:40 AM
Darcy :D

kiki1982
02-07-2011, 06:46 AM
Oh, please, Darcy is great and Tilney charming (indeed!), but everyone knows that there is none other than Wentworth.

And yes, LadyWentworth (a bit late, but hey), Darcy cannot top him by any means! And yes, you are a bit pathetic :D. Still, I sometimes re-read that bit. I have to confess :blush:.

I guess Darcy wins because everyone has forgotten about Frederick. Oh, well, I guess another vote for Darcy then.

Ecurb
02-08-2011, 06:13 PM
As a man, I can't really participate in the gushing. However, I think I'd like to hang out with Henry Crawford. He'd be more fun than clergyman Tilney (OK, we could talk about novels, but I doubt we'd be hitting the seamier side of town in London), or Mr. Proud, Darcy (who probably wouldn't want to hang out with me, and would inflict Caroline Bingley's company on me).

Besides, I want to act in "Lovers' Vows". That sounds like fun!

(Wentworth sounds reasonably fun, I'll grant, especially since he's such a lousy shot that I'd get to bag the birds and the glory).

Also, I just read (on line) a theory that "Persuasion" is Austen's retelling of The Odyssey from the woman's perspective. I don't know how this illuminates the book, but it's certainly possible that Austen conceived of the novel in that way.

L.M. The Third
02-09-2011, 02:01 AM
Oh, please, Darcy is great and Tilney charming (indeed!), but everyone knows that there is none other than ... Knightley. Mr. Knightley. :yesnod:

kiki1982
02-09-2011, 06:22 AM
I wonder about Mr Knightley... On the one hand he is a Darcy in the sense that he is in love and doesn't know it, and you do have to love a man who gets jealous without knowing why :lol:, but on the other hand, I don't know if he were interesting enough for me... Although maybe that's a tainted Davies-vision where he was definitely handsome, but not interesting per se, didn't talk a lot. His seventies version was better (for the woman who loves older men with authority).

I think I would definitely go for Tilney if I had to choose between them :nod:

What about cute Mr Churchill. You have to love that man, the things he does for his fiancÚ... A pianoforte indeed!