PDA

View Full Version : Searching for a short story; possible name - "The Wall"

Mixman
10-04-2007, 05:25 AM
Hello! I'm new to this forum.
I'm trying to find a short story, which was translated in my country with the title "The Wall".
The story is about two patients in a hospital room. The first one is close to the window and sees everything from the outside world. The other one is not and he's asking his companion to tell him everything he sees through the window. One night (or day) the second patient changes somehow the pills of the other patient and kills him. Then he asks the doctors to put him next to the window. The patient sees that the only thing that is visible from the window is a dirty, semi-destructed wall.

Now, I was told that this short story is from O"Henry, but it is possible that this information might be wrong. I'm a student filmmaker and I want to adapt this work to a screenplay.

I will be glad if anyone can help me!

ejwitt
10-21-2007, 09:55 AM
Hello Mixman,

I know the story you are looking for and I think it would make a great movie. It has been one of my favorites since childhood. Post me at <[email protected]> and I will send it to you.

EJ Witt

Logos
10-21-2007, 10:08 AM
You could do a search by key word of his works on the site :)

http://www.online-literature.com/o_henry/

AuntShecky
10-21-2007, 07:56 PM
I think you are looking for a story by O. Henry. The title is
"The Last Leaf."

geezerpk
10-21-2007, 09:34 PM
I'm new here, too and arrived a bit accidentally. Just finished watching a film called "Sorry, Wrong Number" that was based on a classic radio play that was broadcast on "Suspense" in the late forties I think. Anyway, that put me in mind of a radio program I'd heard in my youth that follows the story line you're describing. Googled the topic to death and and can't pin the program down, although I found several references to the story you describe. Most tellings of the story cite the source as "author unknown", so I'm guessing it's in the realm of a folk tale, a modern day parable, or early example of the urban myth. Anyway, I wouldn't think you'd run into any copyright issues if you nabbed the basic story for a film or play. It is a nicely constructed cautionary tale and has probably been used, frequently, by many preachers in preparing their Sunday sermons.

Mixman
10-22-2007, 02:43 AM
@ ejwitt
I wrote you an e-mail. Thanks!

@ Logos
I did! Nothing useful!

@ AuntShecky
I will check it!

@ geezerpk
I don't know, I not really sure that it is a O'Henry story... But that's the information I had. I don't think that I'll have copyright issues, because it is a student film ;)

AuntShecky
10-22-2007, 12:57 PM
I think I was mistaken. "THe Last Leaf" also by O. Henry and also takes place in a hosp. room only has one character who is ill -- a little girl. Whoops. Sorry.

Niamh
10-22-2007, 05:59 PM
The last leaf was in one of my old school books. Great little short story.
Still looking for the wall......

sfaoro
10-24-2007, 12:41 PM
It is called "The Last Leaf". I hope this question has not already been answered, so sorry if it has.

Steph

Logos
10-24-2007, 01:11 PM
Looks like it is indeed O Henry's The Last Leaf, available on-site :)
http://www.online-literature.com/o_henry/1303/

alexsears
10-29-2007, 01:36 PM
im not sure what that story is but if you go online just search the story and im sure you will get lots of results

happy to help :) sighned,alexsears

Niamh
10-29-2007, 03:30 PM
I thought the last leaf was the story about a student in Grenwick village who catches Pneumonia and proclaims that when the last leaf fell she would die. The caretaker of the residence she was stay heard this and went out one night to pain a leaf on the wall behind the last leaf. So the last leaf never fell and she got better but the caretaker fell ill after being out in the cold that night and soon passed away.

Mixman
11-01-2007, 05:52 AM
... and so it isn't the story that I'm looking for... :)

Alokesh
11-23-2007, 05:07 AM
I think you are looking for the following story

http://www.inspiring-quotes-and-stories.com/hospital-window.html

Seems like name of the author is not known.

This is indeed a good story, best of luck for your movie

Mixman
12-05-2007, 08:48 AM
Thank you! That's the story! Finally, it's found!