PDA

View Full Version : narrative techniques in chapter 17

jetcat
09-27-2007, 04:32 AM
hi, am starting my essay on narrative techniques and use of dialogue at beginning of chapter 17, up until "....... eager to escape from Mrs Bennet's civilities."
i have got quite a few points, but am kind of struggling with the difference between direct narrative, focalised narrative and free indirect speach. I am confused with the section, "Jane listened with astonishment and concern...."
I am thinking that this could be focalised narrative as we could be seeing the concern through Elizabeth's eyes, but could it be direct narrative? am soooo confused!!!!
also, free indirect speech - "They have both, said she, been deceived, i dare say, in some way or other, of which we can form no idea." could this be FIS, or just dialogue?
am not wanting anyone to write my essay for me, i am enjoying it too much, but a few pointers would be great!!!

Newcomer
09-27-2007, 10:45 AM
squiddity.livejournal.com/197484.htm

books.google.com/books?id=SNy26bx7L5UC&pg=PA232&lpg=PA232&dq=focalised+narrative&source=web&ots=jhSIzkY3jq&sig=kDS-lHteihsL8fdmM3oT45b9GJg

Hope this is of some help but you are looking in the wrong place.

jetcat
09-27-2007, 12:53 PM
thanks, i have already looked through that essay ta, and have a better idea now!! many thanks

Diandre
10-10-2007, 03:43 PM
Hi, I am starting the same essay on narrative voice and dialogue; jetcat, would you like to share ideas?

sciencefan
10-12-2007, 08:10 AM
Hi, I am starting the same essay on narrative voice and dialogue; jetcat, would you like to share ideas?She might not be back in time to help you.
Her last activity here was Sept. 30th.

I'm afraid I don't know enough to help you.

Diandre
11-04-2007, 06:19 PM
Thanks anyway! I'd really love to find other people doing the same Literature course... keep looking ;)

Lizzie08
02-21-2008, 03:53 PM
Hello everyone. Thank god i'm not the only one struggling with free indirect speach in Pride and Prejudice. Are you doing OU cource A210?

Tigs
02-25-2008, 01:51 PM
Hello all. I am in the same boat, this must be a common difficulty! Getting worried that I am having so much hassle with the first TMA of the course, doesn't bode well for the rest of the year.

If anyone can help straighten this free indirect speech thing out for me I would be eternally grateful. I can't seem to differentiate between focalized narrative and free indirect speech. Any hints/tips?

confusedgran
02-29-2008, 07:24 AM
Hello fellow A210 sufferrers ........ below is an explanation given to me re the difference between N&F .... hope it helps

The reader (you) need to be able to (hear) 'see' the narrator's voice, so when the narrator uses language (word choices) that you would not expect them to employ, think about 'who' in the text characterwise those words would be best attributed to, this is free indirect speech. Focalisation on the other hand works differently, the narrator's voice is still very much their voice, the language they use is completely in keeping with the language they use all of the time, however if they are 'seeing' things, and it appears that it is a particular perception of what the narrator is seeing, then you need to ask the question which character would 'see' 'perceive' the described situation in those terms. Is that any better?

It IS tricky because essentially it is getting to know that authorial voice so well, so that when it moves you can identify where it has moved to.

biffyhouse
03-03-2008, 09:27 AM
I'm in the middle of my Pride and Prejudice TMA for A210 too and the whole free indirect speech vs. focalization thing still confuses me! I've read numerous explanations and think I've got it straight in my head, yet when I go back to the passage for the TMA I get all muddled again.

After reading it ( vol. II chapter 9 'Mr. Darcy drew his chair a little'... to 'and his cousin could have none at all' ) through several times I can only identify one piece of free indirect speech and that is 'He was beyond comparison the pleasantest man; .... none at all.' This is clearly Charlotte's "voice". Does anyone else agree? I'm so scared of mucking this first TMA up!!

WillowFae
03-04-2008, 08:38 AM
Ah, another A210er struggling with TMA01! This whole FIS is driving me up the wall!!!

I agree that this bit in the final paragraph is FIS, but I do wonder if the bit "All field sports were over ... believed he might have the best informed mind" is also FIS. But possibly a mixture of Elizabeth and Charlotte's voice. I can 'hear' the two girls discussing Darcy's reasons for visiting and coming up with those ones.

Daizychainz
03-04-2008, 02:57 PM
I'm sorry everyone is suffering but at the same time very glad I'm not the only one! I have to admit I never thought this TMA(1) would be so hard and it's due in less than two days so if I don't get a grip on this now I'm really stuck.

WillowFae
03-04-2008, 06:07 PM
Anyone else amused by the fact that a lot of us posting here are newly registered users? TMA panic is obviously setting in as we are searching for answers!

Biffyhouse - I agree that is definately FIS. I would also say that 'a sacrifice to propriety, not a pleasure to himself. He seldom appeared really animated' is also FIS, from Elizabeth's POV.