PDA

View Full Version : Pride & Prejudice Character Study...

Iddqd
09-23-2007, 11:54 PM
How's it going? I'm doing a character study assignment on Mr.Darcy from Pride, and I need some help identifying the right chapters... I need one from the early stages to show my understanding of the character, one that shows significant changes in the character, and one that shows the character as he is presented in the later stages of the novel... so yeah, if anyone knows the book really well, any help would be much appreciated :)

P.S. I'm not trying to cheat, I don't want any help with the assignment as I do know it reasonably well, I just need some specific chapters to avoid having to re-read...

sciencefan
09-24-2007, 10:10 AM
One of the great things about this website is that they have a searchable version of the book,
so if you know what certain key words you are looking for,
you can save a lot of time.

Right off the top of my head, the last part of your question
the character as he is presented in the later stages of the novel
can be found when the housekeeper is describing Darcy to Elizabeth and her Aunt and Uncle when they are visiting Pemberley,
and also perhaps, right after he proposes the second time,
and he admits his pride.

The first time we meet Mr. Darcy - at the Meryton Assembly -
gives a rich description of the first impression he made on everyone.

Significant changes in the character... hmmm...
In my opinion, this is not a well-asked question.
We are given so little information concerning Mr. Darcy's thoughts, feelings, and changes that I am surprised at such a question.

I will have to give this more thought.
Or perhaps someone else will come along for whom the question is not so perplexing.

Iddqd
09-26-2007, 12:53 AM
Ok, thanks... I think that the second question might be asking for something that shows that Darcy has changed his attitude...

sciencefan
09-26-2007, 07:32 AM
Ok, thanks... I think that the second question might be asking for something that shows that Darcy has changed his attitude...I guess it's the fact that he helps the Bennets get out of the horrible fix they're in.
You learn what he did in the Aunt's letter to Elizabeth after Lydia comes home married.