PDA

View Full Version : Beowulf

vertciel
09-23-2007, 05:21 PM
Hello,

In the epic poem Beowulf, his 14 men and he volunteer to go to the Danish country to help kill Grendel. I am wondering, besides getting fame, respect, and recognition for killing Grendel, why would Beowulf want to travel to a foreign land to help foreign people solve a problem?

Is it as simple as helping others and getting some medals/coats of honour?

Virgil
09-23-2007, 09:37 PM
Fame, respect, and recognition to a warrior are the most important qualitites possible. You cannot underestimate how valuble they were to Beowulf. In our age where drugs, laziness, and cowardice are actually idolized, you probably have a hard time understanding the mentality. In addition I think there were family relationship involved.

JBI
09-23-2007, 11:12 PM
He is a Christ figure. Why did Christ do what he did (assuming it is true for this context, being that the Beowulf poet believed so).

Petrarch's Love
09-24-2007, 02:30 PM
Hi Vertciel--Virgil is absolutely right that honor is a vital motive in the context of the poem, and I think JBI has a good point about possible religious motives inserted by the medieval writer. There is no doubt that from a literary standpoint honor and glory are the highest motives, but honor and glory also lead to other, less abstract rewards. There are some more practical concerns involving money and power at play here. You will notice throughout the poem that the giving of rings and gold plays an important role. Performing these deeds brings Beowulf rich gifts along with the glory. He then gives these treasures to king Hygelac who in return grants him a valuable sword and great tracts of land. Thus he not only has proven himself a fierce warrior with the qualities people want in a leader, but he has also attained land and riches. Both these factors help pave the way for Beowulf to become king later in the poem.

Also, as Virgil pointed out, doing a good turn for a neighboring people not only ups his status as a proven warrior among his own people but also forms a kinship alliance with the Danes. Having loyal allies could be of great benefit during this time. Having a group as your ally ensured that they wouldn't attack you, might mean aid if some other group did attack you, and meant having a friendly place you could count on to stay should you ever need to venture out traveling.

carpenoctem
10-01-2007, 07:29 PM
Because one of the fundamental themes of Anglo-saxon literature was the so called question of "Wergyld", that is "Man-payment". Remember that king Hrothgar of the Scylds (Danes) once sheltered Beowulf's father during a deadly feud and the mighty Geat (Swede, Beowulf) has to return the favour while enhancing his own reputation and gaining treasure for his king Hygelac.

vertciel
11-04-2007, 08:49 PM
All of your replies have been thoughtful and excellent!

Thanks for your help!

motherhubbard
11-04-2007, 09:51 PM
I'll be starting this again tonight. I haven't read it in nineteen years. I've been looking forward to this and I hope there is more discussion on it.