PDA

View Full Version : War and Peace

Smooth Operator
09-21-2007, 07:00 PM
...by Leo Tolstoy; has anybody read this book and/or does anyone know if it is worth reading?

Metanoia
09-21-2007, 07:19 PM
I've read part one of War and Peace, and yes I think it is worth reading. I know some people have read it and that thought it was boring but I suppose it depends on the kind of literature you appreciate. It's very sad at times, but if you think of any of the really famous storys the're often like that, if a book can produce a strong emotional response I think the auther has done a good job.

nathank
09-21-2007, 07:50 PM
I read it over the summer last year and consider it one of the greatest books ever written. It's not hard, just long. If there is anything difficult, it is all the names. I started taking some notes about 1/3 of the way into it (just a handful of important character names and their various relationships). It takes some effort to keep it all straight but it is stunning. The historical philosophy parts might not keep everyones attention and there is a lot of philosophizing in parts (particularly from Pierre Bezukhov, but I found this to be one of my favorite aspects of the book). It really is "a slice of life."

drunkenKOALA
09-21-2007, 11:11 PM
I didn't like it. I don't know if it's the translation, or just me. I really like Dostoevsky's Idiot though.

metal134
09-22-2007, 01:10 AM
I read it earlier this year. It is very much worth reading. If you're looking or a traditional plot, with a antagonist and protagonist, climax, etc, then you've come to the wrong place. But if you're looking for philisophical musings (in this case, it's mostly the signifigance about microcosm balanced against macrocosm), then you'll like War and Peace. The only real issue I had with the novel is that, in some chapters, Tolstoy will keep making the same point over and over again. He'll make his point in 2 pages, and spend the next 8 re-making the same point. But overall, it's a great book. Everyone should read War and Peace at least once in their life.

Smooth Operator
09-22-2007, 02:01 PM
Thanks everybody. I have always been curious about it, but since most of you have given it praise I will try to fit it in.

olichka
09-24-2007, 08:06 PM
...by Leo Tolstoy; has anybody read this book and/or does anyone know if it is worth reading?

Uhm, from the number of posts re "War and Peace" on this forum, you could probably have concluded already that quite a few people here have read this book, right ? :)