PDA

View Full Version : Time frame Of White Fang.

Wolfbeast
09-18-2007, 07:06 PM
White Fang is by Jack London, but since I don't have the book with me I was wondering if someone can give me the time frame the story was based on, Very much Appreciated. ;)

Thatch
09-19-2007, 02:54 AM
It's been a while since I read White Fang, but the time frame is probably late 19th century. I don't remember any actual dates given within the story of White Fang, but since you've got the gold rush happening I'd say around that time frame.

Click here to see Part IV Chapter I (http://www.online-literature.com/view.php/whitefang/15?term=gold)
Use the search capabilities of the Literature Network on White Fang. I did a search with the keyword "gold" and found the following passage within the above link:

It was in the summer that White Fang arrived at Fort Yukon. Grey Beaver had crossed the great watershed between Mackenzie and the Yukon in the late winter, and spent the spring in hunting among the western outlying spurs of the Rockies. Then, after the break-up of the ice on the Porcupine, he had built a canoe and paddled down that stream to where it effected its junction with the Yukon just under the Artic circle. Here stood the old Hudson's Bay Company fort; and here were many Indians, much food, and unprecedented excitement. It was the summer of 1898, and thousands of gold- hunters were going up the Yukon to Dawson and the Klondike.

Hope this helps! :thumbs_up

Note to mods: within that passage Arctic is spelled Artic and there's an unnecessary space in the phrase "gold- hunters"! Nothings perfect, but it helps to correct mistakes where and when noticed. ;)

Logos
09-19-2007, 08:17 AM
Thanks Thatch :)