PDA

View Full Version : Unhappy

bazarov
09-09-2007, 07:24 AM
I am very unhappy to see that nobody is interested in discussion about this beautiful book. If I am wrong, please accept my apologies and ask anything!
Is it Jean's decision to leave Cosette and be quiet and leave Marius to think everything wrong about him or Javert's dilemmas before suicide....anything!

Richard Bentley
11-14-2007, 02:11 AM
This is one of the best books ever written. But for some reason people choose to read the abridged version; a mistake. The one characteristic of this book that I found fascinating was that, in the deluge of words, not one is wasted. It is a commentary on the 19th century in America that this was the favorite book among the Union troops. Consider that at most, the great majority of them had only a high school education. It is a book that requires reading and rereading - one of those books that, when done so, reveals truths between the lines. I noticed this first when I read Seutonius (150 times!). If a person has not performed this act on a book that has had an impact on them, they will not realize what I am alluding to.

AngelofPhantoms
12-15-2007, 10:42 PM
I love this book! People probably don't read it because they think it's "too long." I admire the bishop for covering Valjean so he could start a new life. I pity Fantine and Cosette because they were miserable apart. I admire Javert for being passionate (I don't approve of his hunt on Valjean though.) And much more. People stopped reading books like this when America became dumber and dumber. I'm glad some people enjoy it though.

bazarov
12-16-2007, 08:33 AM
I admire Javert for being passionate (I don't approve of his hunt on Valjean though.)

But his passion made forced him to hunt Jean.

Welcome! :thumbs_up

AngelofPhantoms
12-26-2007, 12:08 AM
oh yeah, ha, forgot about that.

Thanx!

Bramblefox
04-05-2008, 09:00 AM
I would love to discuss this book! Les Mis is one of my favorite books ever, Javert is my favorite character. What shall we start with?