PDA

View Full Version : What about Margaret?

quoththeraven98
09-03-2007, 12:51 PM
I know that Elinor represents sense and Marianne represents sensibility, but what about Margaret? Is she supposed to be a mixture of the two, is there to be any deeper meaning behind the inclusion of her character, or was she simply thrown into the story for the sake of it?

What do you think?

Ok, if 17 people viewed this why couldn't anyone say something????

motherhubbard
09-09-2007, 05:39 PM
It's been a long time since i read the book and I can't remember who was who- that's why I'm not saying anything

neweyes
11-06-2007, 06:00 AM
I felt that, of the three daughters, Elinor was a woman just past her prime, Marianne was right in her prime, and the tomboyish Margaret had not yet reached her prime. Just my reflection.

Regitze
12-18-2007, 01:24 PM
I know that it's been a long time since you posted it, but maybe some others can use it: On the last page of the first chapter (page 9 in the Penguin edition), there is a description of all the sisters.
Margaret "was a good humoured well disposed girl; but as she had already imbibed a good deal of Marianne's Romance, without having much of her sense, she did not, at thirteen, bid fair to equal her sisters at a more advanced period of life".
There is another place in the book (can't remember where), where Margaret is also described as if she has gotten some of Elinor 'sense'. So as Marianne, she too is changing her personality from a romantic view to a more sensible view... Hope anyone can use it:)

Jacki217
01-16-2008, 01:09 AM
I felt that, of the three daughters, Elinor was a woman just past her prime, Marianne was right in her prime, and the tomboyish Margaret had not yet reached her prime. Just my reflection.

i agree.

Jacki217
01-16-2008, 01:11 AM
I know that it's been a long time since you posted it, but maybe some others can use it: On the last page of the first chapter (page 9 in the Penguin edition), there is a description of all the sisters.
Margaret "was a good humoured well disposed girl; but as she had already imbibed a good deal of Marianne's Romance, without having much of her sense, she did not, at thirteen, bid fair to equal her sisters at a more advanced period of life".
There is another place in the book (can't remember where), where Margaret is also described as if she has gotten some of Elinor 'sense'. So as Marianne, she too is changing her personality from a romantic view to a more sensible view... Hope anyone can use it:)

oh good point, i just finished this book and had forgetton about that. her charactor also reveals elinors love to be ferrars to mrs jennings. so she has a reason for being in the book. among some other things i can't hin of right now.

JourneyH2O
01-16-2008, 02:56 PM
My theory is that as a young girl, Margaret can ask honest questions (that readers may be thinking) and get away with it because of her status as an innocent witness to things going on around her. This allows readers to gain access to the other characters in ways that otherwise might be impossible. Does that make sense?

- Melissa