PDA

View Full Version : Book Club Proposal - 2008

Scheherazade
09-01-2007, 07:37 PM
Please vote for the nomination system you would like the Book Club to follow in 2008 by September 25th.

You can choose more than one option.

1. Author of the month: The present system. 12 authors to be chosen and each month we choose a book written by one particular author. E.g. In January we include only Camus' works in the poll and read one of those in February.

2. Genre of the month: Different genres to be selected and we nominate/vote for books belonging that particular genre each month. E.g., March: Month of Sci-fi so only sci-fi books will be nominated for that month.

3. Country of the month: 12 countries to be chosen and each month we read a book from that particular country's literature. The works nominated would not be too obscure (only those are available in English on Amazon maybe?)

4. Trend of the month: Each month we read a book from a different period such as Victorian, Romantic etc.

5. Random nominations: The old system. We nominate the books we would like to read randomly.

For those who are interested: Last year's discussion (http://www.online-literature.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18260)

Book Club Procedures (http://www.online-literature.com/forums/showthread.php?p=57103#post57103)

Virgil
09-01-2007, 08:03 PM
Is it time again? I ought to look up last year's discussion. I think we discussed the pluses and minuses of each method. Although I like the present method, perhaps it's time to change and try something different.

edt: I just noticed Scher. We can vote for more than one?

Scheherazade
09-03-2007, 07:08 PM
Yes, it is possible to choose more than one option.

And, yes, I agree with you that it might be a good idea to change and try something different next year. :)

Nightshade
09-03-2007, 07:19 PM
I want the trend I think..... I mean lets face it that would be interesting becaus ewe could discuss the historical context and then how one trend affects another etc .

I also want to say can we have authors only from those availabe on the lit net next year as something differant? :D

Scheherazade
09-03-2007, 07:21 PM
I also want to say can we have authors only from those availabe on the lit net next year as something differant? :DI think that would be rather limiting; we would end up reading only works published before 1920s.

Don't forget to vote! :)

AuntShecky
09-03-2007, 08:28 PM
Most choices are valid criteria, but I did not select "genre" because that limits the number of possible participants. Not every one reads mysteries or science fiction or fantasy (for instance in the fantasy category some of us might read a sub-genre, such as dystopian novels but won't touch a vampire novel or alternative universe one. We might like T.H. White, but the dungeon and dragon series of more contemporaries authors might be really esoteric.)

I did not select "country", because when native speakers of English read authors in translation, even those as great asm Marquez, we are missing a great part of the work's form. If we limit the choices of "countries" to the English-speaking ones only, that may be a bit exclusionary, provincial.
The other criteria are fine.

Nightshade
09-04-2007, 04:20 AM
I think that would be rather limiting; we would end up reading only works published before 1920s.

Don't forget to vote! :)

oh poo! But I want to really think about this before I vote. :idea: If we choose random nominations then I can nominate a litnet author every month..... :p

The country would be more like regions though wouldnt they ?

dramasnot6
09-04-2007, 04:36 AM
Well next year I can actually (and will definitely) seriously participate in the book club since I'll be out of school. I think something new would be nice, the country and author ideas look interesting.

Pensive
09-04-2007, 06:45 AM
Is it a year already since we last voted for the nominations system? Man, time passes quickly!

Would again, like the previous year, vote for Random Nominations, though Country Nominations seem appealing too. Aha I can vote for the both! :D

Niamh
09-04-2007, 06:52 AM
i'll definitely try to get involved here next year. Author and country would be interesting.

Virgil
09-04-2007, 06:56 AM
Well next year I can actually (and will definitely) seriously participate in the book club since I'll be out of school. I think something new would be nice, the country and author ideas look interesting.

You're not going to school next year, Drama? I know you're smart, but i didn't think one could graduate college at 15. :p ;)

bazarov
09-04-2007, 08:34 AM
This year I am with you! I would like to discover some others countries literature but I'm lazy to do that so help me!

papayahed
09-04-2007, 09:00 AM
hmmm.. I think I'm gonna have to find last years thread. I can't remember what I voted and my reasons for voting that way - I know they were good.

NickAdams
09-04-2007, 09:35 AM
This year I am with you! I would like to discover some others countries literature but I'm lazy to do that so help me!

Ditto. This might be a chance to read Steig Dagerman, Thomas Bernhard, Kobo Abe, Lu Xun, Gao Xingjian, J. M. Coetzee, Harold Pinter, Umberto Eco, Ha Jin

Scheherazade
09-04-2007, 10:02 AM
For those who are interested: Last year's discussion (http://www.online-literature.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18260)

papayahed
09-04-2007, 02:26 PM
Boy. What a difference a year makes, I was hell bent against author of the month. I think I'll stick with that line of thinking...I'm voting Random and Genre.

applepie
09-04-2007, 07:17 PM
I think that I'm with you Papaya... Random and Genre sound pretty good. Genre would be nice, because I'm always wanting to try new ones and neer knowing where to start. Random would just be interesting, but I worry we may get into a rut that way. Would it be random with no repeats of books or authors as an option through the year?

Scheherazade
09-04-2007, 07:28 PM
Random would just be interesting, but I worry we may get into a rut that way. Would it be random with no repeats of books or authors as an option through the year?With the Random nominations option, the members get to nominate the books themselves (max 10) and then vote. So, it is up to the majority to decide which books/authors are read.

However, we do not the read the same book in two consecutive years, either.

Hah! Yet another close poll! :goof:

Pensive
09-07-2007, 10:35 AM
Hah! Yet another close poll! :goof:

And another year for Authors! (seems to be unless someone breaks the tie)

Virgil
09-07-2007, 10:39 AM
I don't mind author's of the month, but I feel it's time for a change. So I voted for trend (which I think could be interesting) and random nominations.

Pensive
09-07-2007, 11:41 AM
Yay! Someone just voted for Random Nominations! Now there is a tie. We need one more vote to be safe. :p

applepie
09-07-2007, 11:46 AM
Random and genre got my vote. I think both could be fun ways to choose:)

grace86
09-07-2007, 12:15 PM
I really enjoyed the variety that Random had for 2007, there were so many different types of books that I got to enjoy (even though I was not able to read them all!). I think I will stick with it for another year in the hopes of more avid participation! ;)

Didn't know this time had come back around already!

Scheherazade
09-07-2007, 12:17 PM
In 2007, we are following the Auhors option as we did in 2006. In 2005, we had random nominations.

:)

Virgil
09-07-2007, 12:20 PM
Yay! Someone just voted for Random Nominations! Now there is a tie. We need one more vote to be safe. :p

:lol: There's a long way to go until September 25th. Anything can happen.

grace86
09-07-2007, 12:25 PM
In 2007, we are following the Auhors option as we did in 2006. In 2005, we had random nominations.

:)

haha oops! Well even this year's was pretty random :lol: I guess the random would be pretty random then too :lol: (okay just ignore me I'm a little weird this week!)

Nightshade
09-07-2007, 04:41 PM
HEY !! I want country..... sigh well I suppose anythin is better than authrs AGAIN!

Niamh
09-07-2007, 05:22 PM
countries would be a great option.

Pensive
09-08-2007, 02:23 AM
:lol: There's a long way to go until September 25th. Anything can happen.

:blush:

Didn't realise. It's the start of the month and we have got already forty-four votes! :eek: :eek:

SleepyWitch
09-08-2007, 04:45 AM
country sounds great, but I'll graduate next year and seeing as I'm studying English, not world literature, I think I'll have to be selfish and vote for trend or author, so I get to read some English/American lit.

Walter
09-08-2007, 08:50 AM
The masked bandit strikes again!

Scheherazade
09-11-2007, 06:14 PM
Heh, between different options but still a tie! :D

Nightshade
09-12-2007, 05:06 AM
Come on come on come on just 2 more votes for country..it would be a widening experiance for all of us Im sure :nod:

Niamh
09-12-2007, 03:17 PM
I agree. There are many countries i've never read anything from and it would be a great way to learn the history, society and culture of different countries.
It would also be quite educational to see how writing styles may vary from country to country!:thumbs_up :thumbs_up

Virgil
09-12-2007, 05:10 PM
Wow, is this a horse race. It's going to be fun to see what wins. :D

Nossa
09-12-2007, 06:28 PM
Since I've been looking for literature from different countries..I'll take the Country of The Month choice! (thanks to Nighty for pointing it out :D)

Alexei
09-12-2007, 08:04 PM
The poll has become really interesting! :)

applepie
09-12-2007, 10:29 PM
:( Random isn't in the leading tie anymore.

Nightshade
09-13-2007, 12:15 AM
Since I've been looking for literature from different countries..I'll take the Country of The Month choice! (thanks to Nighty for pointing it out :D)

shhhhhhh:p and I swear all I did was point it out honest! :D

Scheherazade
09-14-2007, 01:22 PM
No winner is emerging yet...

Nightshade
09-14-2007, 04:10 PM
Oh no!! Country Conurty or well end up with the authour system again!:sick:

Pensive
09-14-2007, 04:16 PM
Oh no!! Country Conurty or well end up with the authour system again!:sick:

Yes, better to have country than author system. If not Random Nominations. :(

Alexei
09-14-2007, 04:41 PM
I think it will be author again.

papayahed
09-14-2007, 04:42 PM
Come On people!!!!!! Vote correctly!!!

Nossa
09-14-2007, 05:28 PM
Yes, better to have country than author system. If not Random Nominations. :(

Oh please! Not the random nominations..AGAIN! lol
It'd be way more interesting to have a book from a different country every month..that will mean different cultures, difference customs and stuff..it's be really fun...

Alexei
09-18-2007, 11:43 AM
There is only a week more left. For now Country is ahead, but I wonder whether there will be changes.

applepie
09-19-2007, 04:52 PM
:( Come on everyone. Random sounds like a good way to go, and we're almost out of time to vote.

Dori
09-19-2007, 06:35 PM
I put my vote in yesterday for Country of the Month. It seems the most logical choice, to tell the truth.

grace86
09-19-2007, 07:21 PM
AAARRRGGGH someone quick help me rig the votes! ;)

Alexei
09-21-2007, 09:12 AM
There are only four days left, I think that this year will be country of the month, though there is still chance for something else.

Scheherazade
09-23-2007, 05:40 PM
Going once...

Niamh
09-24-2007, 09:36 AM
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q268/niamhking/thgir.gifvote countryhttp://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q268/niamhking/thgir.gif

Virgil
09-24-2007, 10:23 AM
I think people will regret this. It may not be easy to get a hold of novels from some countries. And i bet most will never have heard of some of the writers, which may make people lose interest. Just my thoughts.

plainjane
09-24-2007, 10:37 AM
I think people will regret this. It may not be easy to get a hold of novels from some countries. And i bet most will never have heard of some of the writers, which may make people lose interest. Just my thoughts.

Absolutely agreed.
For me at any rate.
Although I know some that are doing the Olympic Challenge and find it fascinating. Not my cuppa though.

Nossa
09-24-2007, 12:32 PM
^^You can't possibly know each and every writer in the entire world. And I believe that the suggesttions that will be made, will be from people who thought that the novel is worth reading. You don't have to know the name of the novel/author in order to read a book, you just need a good recommecndation and googling its name to see if it interests you. That's what I think at least.

papayahed
09-24-2007, 12:55 PM
I'm hoping for anything besides authors. If it can't be random or genre - countries is great. It's always the same stuffy authors, this time we'll be forced to try new authors, or at least new to some of us..

Alexei
09-24-2007, 03:44 PM
I think people will regret this. It may not be easy to get a hold of novels from some countries.

Totally agreed! Sometimes it's very hard for to find some books that are by English/American authors and they usually are quite famous works, I can't imagine what will be trying to find some written in Holland for instance (I pick this example, because last year I have tried to find such novel and it was a total failure, I have th feeling that there are a lot novels that aren't available here). And the main problem is that I can't use internet orders *sigh*

Virgil
09-24-2007, 03:54 PM
Totally agreed! Sometimes it's very hard for to find some books that are by English/American authors and they usually are quite famous works, I can't imagine what will be trying to find some written in Holland for instance (I pick this example, because last year I have tried to find such novel and it was a total failure, I have th feeling that there are a lot novels that aren't available here). And the main problem is that I can't use internet orders *sigh*

And not only that, we will need to find a translation in many cases.

NickAdams
09-24-2007, 04:56 PM
We will just pick authors that were poplar enough to be translated.

I didn't recognize you Virgil.

Scheherazade
09-24-2007, 05:31 PM
To those who are "worried" about the "country" option> It is mentioned in the OP that if we decide to go with this option, we will only nominate/pick works that are available on amazon in English.

bazarov
09-25-2007, 04:27 AM

I disagree. This way you'll maybe discover some new good, but still unknown author. Instead of reading Dickens, Hemingway, Marquez...again you could discover someone new.

Niamh
09-25-2007, 05:58 AM
I disagree. This way you'll maybe discover some new good, but still unknown author. Instead of reading Dickens, Hemingway, Marquez...again you could discover someone new.

I totally agree with you Baz. :thumbs_up Its a good way to get into the lesser known writers of a country that have been translated into english.:thumbs_up
Come on Virg! Dont you want to broaden your horizons!:p ;)

papayahed
09-25-2007, 06:36 AM
:brickwall Noooooooo. It's a tie.

Nevermind.

Funny that there's 45 voters but I doubt that 45 people have participated last year.

Aiculík
09-25-2007, 07:08 AM
So... I voted for country. :)

And not only that, we will need to find a translation in many cases.
Virgil, what is so bad about translations?

Sometimes it's very hard for to find some books that are by English/American authors and they usually are quite famous works, I can't imagine what will be trying to find some written in Holland for instance (I pick this example, because last year I have tried to find such novel and it was a total failure, I have th feeling that there are a lot novels that aren't available here). And the main problem is that I can't use internet orders *sigh*
Alexei - I found many authors I like now using Google. Just try to type "Dutch novelists" - I'm sure you'd at least find Ceese Nooteboom, and I'm pretty sure several of his novels were translated into English.

It is true that it will maybe be less conveniet. But I'm sure it'll be worth the effort. Just think of many masterpieces we don't know yet and that we will maybe discover. Doesn't it sound exciting? :)

Virgil
09-25-2007, 08:10 AM
Wow, what a finish. Is it over? I guess so.

Virgil, what is so bad about translations?

Well, just harder to find, everyone will probably have a different translation, and you always wonder how good the translator was.

Aiculík
09-25-2007, 08:32 AM
True, but I'm sure many people here are having this problem already.
I mean, there are people from countries where English is not an official language... so even if they discuss books in English, I'm sure many of them read those books in their own language.
Of course I can't speak for everyone... but, for example, in Slovakia, there aren't that many books in English in our libraries, and to buy it is often quite expensive.
And I haven't noticed that us being from all over the world, reading different translations in different languages, caused any problems. So why start worrying now? :)

What you say about translator is also true, but not to read translated books at all, just because the translation might not be good, is riddiculous, don't you think? Translating is extremely difficult work and I'm sure every translator tries his best. We should trust more those poor guys. :)

Scheherazade
09-25-2007, 10:06 AM
The poll is open for another 9 1/2 hours so please keep voting!!!

Going twice...

papayahed
09-25-2007, 08:22 PM
Allllll Rigghhtttt!!!! Country of the month!!!!! WhoooooHoooooo!!!!

Virgil
09-25-2007, 11:03 PM
Allllll Rigghhtttt!!!! Country of the month!!!!! WhoooooHoooooo!!!!

It's not closed yet. :p Wait for the alien to come in and vote. :alien: :D

Niamh
09-26-2007, 05:35 AM
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q268/niamhking/thgir.gifhttp://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u266/the60su2/turkeyrussianorway.jpghttp://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q268/niamhking/thgir.gif

Scheherazade
09-26-2007, 07:48 AM
Countries, it is then, folks! :D

Many thanks to everyone who has taken part in our poll! :)