PDA

View Full Version : Have any of you experienced this problem?

Shea
06-14-2004, 09:16 AM
Ok, so this is about a play written by John Ford called "'Tis Pity She's a Whore". But it is a Jacobean play and I had to see it and write a review of it for my Shakespeare class for extra credit. I'll paste my review here and I would like some feedback on it because this issue is really bothering me.

Review for ‘Tis Pity She’s a Whore

There was excellent talent within the major cast of TheatreUSF’s production of ‘Tis Pity She’s a Whore by John Ford. They skillfully carried their lines and comfortably handled their props (namely swords), so that there were no distractions of bumbling and contrived acting to keep the audience from being taken in by the story. In fact, the actors portrayed their characters so well, that I was confused as to why the director, C. David Frankel, felt the need to include a “rape” scene between the newly wedded characters, Soranzo and Annabella. Obviously, the intended effect was for heightened tension, but because of the stage medium, this scene, for an audience member, was difficult to accept and distracted me from the plot. The actors spoke the Early Modern English (sans the accent) so naturally, that this spectacle was entirely unnecessary. To take a tip from Shakespeare, they would have done well to have heeded Hamlet, “Suit the action to the word, and the word to the action,… that you o’erstep not the modesty of nature. For anything so o’erdone is from the purpose of playing…” (Hamlet 3.2.17-20).

If only they would have excluded this (and improved on some weak line delivery from some of the minor cast), it would have been a wonderful production, filled with all the excitement of swordplay, gore and “bleeding hearts” that we’ve come to expect from a Jacobean tragic play. Using all the advantages of a modernized theatre, the spotlighting of Annabella during her scenes of grieving repentance, easily would have made them the most memorable, while they were also most critical to the play. Amid all the dramatic tension, there was a superb bit of comic relief with Bergetto and Poggio. But I don’t think anything could have relieved the tension of the scene in question. Even days later it bothers me, where I’m not even thinking much on the play at all, but on the horror of Frankel and the University (with the use of my tuition money) having the audacity to assume that they have freedom to display that kind of repugnant mis-portrayal of the actual plot. I could only imagine how an actual victim of rape would react on seeing this play. Extra credit or not, if I had known this disregard for the audience would take place in such a manner, I would not have seen it, nor will see any other production until I’m guaranteed it won’t happen again. The play was in fact very good and I wish could have written a very complimenting review, but for that one scene, which merits the need for a warning of graphic sexual violence on the program and an ID check at the door.
[end review]

I remember that Mel Gibson's Hamlet did the same thing with Gertrude, and to my horror I discovered that the film was rated "PG". Now I'm really confused!!??? :mad: :mad: :rage:

emily655321
06-14-2004, 11:55 AM
Yeah, that ticked me off about the Hamlet movie too. It made it difficult to focus on the dialogue, especially since most of the lines were made nearly incoherent by the struggle. And, like you said about "Tis Pity..." the importance of the words was dwarfed by the significance Mel put on his made-up event. It all comes down to egotistical directors either thinking they can improve on Shakespeare, or that they need to "MTV"-it up for modern audiences to take any interest.

Shea
06-14-2004, 08:05 PM
My thoughts exactly. I actually only saw that part and the mad Ophelia, while we were comparing different productions in class. But after that I would not like to see it at all. And what makes the rating people think that just because it's a famous Shakespeare play and every one knows it, that they can give it a "PG" rating??!! Give me a break!! :rage: :rage: :rage: Did they even see it??

Arrrgghh! Ok, enough ranting. Anyway, what I saw of Gibson's Hamlet wasn't anywhere near as good as the one where Kate Winslet play's Ophelia (of which I did see the whole thing).

Now that my instructor has my review, and finishes critiquing it, I'm going to turn it in to the proper department head to try and keep it from happening again.

Do you guys have any ideas on how I can make it better?

emily655321
06-14-2004, 09:11 PM
Well, "complimenting" is a verb. "Complimentary" is the adjective you want. ;)

Shea
06-15-2004, 11:23 AM
Oh! I didn't even catch that, thanks!

emily655321
06-15-2004, 11:25 AM
No prob. :)