PDA

View Full Version : How does Odysseus die?

amalie222
08-28-2007, 02:32 PM
For my summer reading project, which is due in a couple of days, one question is "how does odysseus die someday", and the answer is supposedly listed in book XXIV, but i cant find it ANYWHERE!!!! if someone could please, please help me, it would be absolutely amazing!!!!

B-Mental
08-29-2007, 04:59 AM
old age? i never saw it in any of the versions i read. :(

bazarov
08-29-2007, 05:06 AM
Odysseus had been told (by the shade of Tiresias) that he had one more journey to make after he had re-established his rule in Ithaca and also that his death would come from the sea and would be peaceful and pleasant.

JCamilo
08-29-2007, 11:27 AM
There is a tradition, a play (sopholes, euripedes) one of them that he was killed by one of his sons with Circe also...

bazarov
08-29-2007, 05:48 PM
There is a tradition, a play (sopholes, euripedes) one of them that he was killed by one of his sons with Circe also...

When Telegonus 3 learned from his mother Circe that he was son of Odysseus, he sailed in search of his father. Having come to Ithaca, he drove away some of the cattle, and when Odysseus defended them, Telegonus 3 wounded him with the spear he had in his hands, which was barbed with the spine of a stingray, and Odysseus died of the wound. Telegonus 3 then recognised him, and bitterly lamented what he had done.