PDA

View Full Version : nonfiction travel book on DH Lawrence

chidsey
08-25-2007, 09:53 PM
I read this book about a decade ago. It's a memoir/travel narrative about this British critic who thinks a lot about DH Lawrence. Does anyone know the title?

Janine
08-25-2007, 10:24 PM
Do you have anymore information on this book or about this book? I read Lawrence's travel books - all three - but he wrote those himself - "Twilight in Italy", "Sea in Sardinia," and "Etruscan Places". I do know that Lawrence had many friends and many were British critics. I have a lot of critical analysis books of Lawrence's, but I need a bit more information. Was the book written by Brewster? Earl Brewster accompanied him during his research on the one -"Etruscian Places". Perhaps that is who you are thinking of. These books are marvelous, if you find the time to read them....a very intimate portrayal and window into Lawrence's mind.

chidsey
08-26-2007, 09:06 AM
this is a book published about 10 years ago that was written by some cheeky Brit. it's a kind of autobiography of a researcher. the guy's obsessed with DHL but also writes about his life.

Logos
08-26-2007, 10:04 AM
Is it L. D. Clark's The Minoan Distance: The Symbolism of Travel in DH Lawrence?
http://www.artisticnetwork.net/arts/255/laverne-harrell-clarks-photographic-studies-of-dh-lawrences-writings.html

chidsey
08-26-2007, 10:40 AM
no, it's something more contemporary and almost "postmodern" in how he weaves his own life and that of DHL together

Janine
08-26-2007, 03:17 PM
Hi Logos, thanks for the link and your great research. I just read the entire article, and copied it to my file and also typed/copied the information that was under the photos. I am highly interested in these books/photos and research. Since I am currently read D.H.Lawrence's "The Plumed Serpent", I was particularly happy to see the photograph of the Mexican woman who had been Lawrence's maid, when he resided in Mexico and wrote this book. She is featured rather prominent in the novel. How interesting this article and the photos are to me! I will have to look for Clark and his wives books to buy. Thanks again.

Hi Chidsey, I did some futher research looking up books about L on Amazon and I found this book. Could this be the one you are referring to?

D.H. Lawrence, Travel and Cultural Difference (Hardcover)
by Neil Roberts (Author)

Book Description
This study of Lawrence's travel writings is the first book-length study to approach the subject with reference to contemporary postcolonial theory. Focusing on the writings of 1921-25, the period when Lawrence was most intensely engaged in travel, it includes chapters on Sea and Sardinia, Kangaroo, The Plumed Serpent and the essays and stories inspired by Lawrence's experience of the New World.

About the Author

Neil Roberts is Professor of English Literature at the University of Sheffield.

Note: this book is quite expensive on Amazon - probably it is out of print and hard to come by.

chidsey
08-27-2007, 03:51 PM
Out of Sheer Rage: Wrestling With D.H. Lawrence
by Geoff Dyer

http://www.amazon.com/Out-Sheer-Rage-Wrestling-Lawrence/dp/0865475407/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-7103530-4775238?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1188243909&sr=1-1

Janine
08-27-2007, 04:57 PM
Out of Sheer Rage: Wrestling With D.H. Lawrence
by Geoff Dyer

http://www.amazon.com/Out-Sheer-Rage-Wrestling-Lawrence/dp/0865475407/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-7103530-4775238?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1188243909&sr=1-1

chidsey, glad you found it on Amazon. I actually tracked down the author that Logos suggested and ordered one of his books. Thanks Logos! This book you mention sounds really quirpy and entertaining. Enjoy reading!:thumbs_up

Logos
08-28-2007, 10:03 AM
chidsey, glad you found it, that does look like a great book. Janine, always glad to be of help :) I agree that L. D. Clarke's book looks very interesting too. A few more to add to my ever-growing reading list of 'get my hands on this one!'

Janine
08-28-2007, 12:47 PM
chidsey, glad you found it, that does look like a great book. Janine, always glad to be of help :) I agree that L. D. Clarke's book looks very interesting too. A few more to add to my ever-growing reading list of 'get my hands on this one!'

Logos, you are always so helpful and right on the beam about finding obscure books and writings. I think the Clarke book should be interesting and his wife illustrated it with some of her photos. I have tons of photos of Lawrence and connected with his life. I am hoping these will be something I had not previously viewed. Looking forward to receiving the book. I like the name of your to-read list - 'get my hands on this one!' - that's great! :lol: