PDA

View Full Version : Persuasion by Jane Austen

Niamh
08-24-2007, 01:58 PM
This is by far my favourite Jane Austen Novel. I love the way it begins a disequalibrium. Annes whole life is being turned upside down because of her fathers bad spending, and to make matters worse, the man she loved and was going to marry, but was persuaded not to, was about to walk back into her life and society.
Its a novel full of emotional turmoil, passion, hope and above all love.
This is a book that i could quite easily (and have) start again as soon as i've finished the last sentance.
10/10

Sir Bartholomew
03-08-2008, 09:55 PM
also her most bitter novel, tied with Sense & Sensibility (as to bitterness :p )

Nossa
03-09-2008, 04:05 PM
Great novel!

JBI
03-09-2008, 04:10 PM
My favourite too is Emma, but this one, although lacking the varnish because of Austen's declining health, still has great aesthetic merits. It is a classic of literature, but perhaps not the classic in scope Pride and Prejudice, or Emma are in.

SleepyWitch
03-19-2008, 12:29 PM
I'm nearly finished reading it and I like it alright.
I only gave it "finished but no reason to skip meals", but I found it a little better than that.. it's not as skillfully written as Pride and Prejudice, but it's a quick and easy read, has a little more action than P&P and although it lacks the subtle irony of P&P it's funny in its own way.
I must say, I'm beginning to like Jane Austen (I'm a confessed former Austen hater) :) but now I'm beginning to dread the other classics, seeing as they must be a lot more difficult to read and full of "ideas" and references :cold:

lamess
03-20-2008, 10:19 AM
my favorite one is pride and prejiudice
i loved eliza soooo much

Kwistina
03-21-2008, 07:17 AM
Definitely an Austin Fav!! True, it is not so witty as P&P, but that, I think, is partially due to it's bittersweet feel-the enduring love of one who has lost all hope in having that love returned . . .

My favorites come in trends. Today I like persuasion best. Usually, though, P&P is my all time fav.