PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one...

booklvr90
08-21-2007, 03:51 PM
Am I the only one who REALLY dislikes the new "Phantom of the Opera" movie? I saw it and thought it was a gigantic disappointment!!! It's not much like the book in my opinion, and I hate the way that they can't say a word without singing it!!!

LadyWentworth
09-04-2007, 01:28 AM
Well, it is based on the Broadway musical of the novel. As far as them not being able to say a word without singing it, well, that is the whole point of a musical, isn't it?

Personally, I didn't mind the movie and I have seen the stage show twice. Honestly, the worst part for me was Christine. How did they ever choose her? Her voice wasn't overly pleasant, she looked a little TOO simple (though I do believe Christine is a little flighty), and I just didn't see the Phantom being in love with that person. It wasn't believable for me. Also, as for the Christine/Raoul pairing, I thought it was a poor choice. After all, they were supposedly childhood sweethearts. Raoul was far too much older than her for them to be that in this film.

Literary_Cat
09-04-2007, 09:53 PM
I also disliked the movie. I felt it was not remotely based on the book (though the musical wasn't either, really)--and my biggest peeve was the fact that THE PHANTOM IS A TENOR.

Ahem. Thank you.

booklvr90
09-05-2007, 08:59 PM
I don't like The Phantom on it either. I think he is way too cute...I mean, only a tiny part of his face is messed up when ,in the book, it sounds like he is really terrible!!!
I also thought there was a little too much kissing between Eric and Christine. In the book, he thought her kissing him on the forehead was the greatest thing that had ever happened to him while in the movie....
I just found it very inconsistent with the book.

chckn648
09-08-2007, 11:10 PM
The movie being inconsistent with the book is inevitable. This is found in many movies, especially those based on another movie or play rather than the original work. My friend who is sitting here says that the phantom singing the really high notes freaked her out/disgusts her. My opinion: yeah, it's great that you can sing that high, but it just doesn't fit the part.

Evellynn
10-30-2007, 04:33 PM
Well, it is based on the Broadway musical of the novel. As far as them not being able to say a word without singing it, well, that is the whole point of a musical, isn't it?

Personally, I didn't mind the movie and I have seen the stage show twice. Honestly, the worst part for me was Christine. How did they ever choose her? Her voice wasn't overly pleasant, she looked a little TOO simple (though I do believe Christine is a little flighty), and I just didn't see the Phantom being in love with that person. It wasn't believable for me. Also, as for the Christine/Raoul pairing, I thought it was a poor choice. After all, they were supposedly childhood sweethearts. Raoul was far too much older than her for them to be that in this film.

I totally Agree with you. I didn't like how they casted Christine or Raoul. But I personally Liked the movie because I loved the stage production of it.

pegasus332
12-26-2007, 05:45 PM
I agree that it is nothing like the book, anyone can see that, but that isn't a reason to hate the movie. I think of it as the movie and play a whole new story compared to the book. I thoroughly enjoyed both book and movie. I have yet to see the play. While the play is based on the book, it comes nowhere near the same plot.

It is a shame that everyone knows the story of the play and movie, yet nothing of the book. If only people would stop idolizing the play and movie as the only Phantom of the Opera, and start reading the book, I loved it!

Pandora Eve
12-26-2007, 06:16 PM
Didn't read the book but, saw the play. The movie did follow the play. The play followed the original movie which I guess wasn't the book. I sorta of enjoyed the movie. The biggest problem was the Phantom who was way too young for the role. There was one plus to the new movie for the first time Raoul was actually an intresting character. I don't how he shows up in the book but, in the original movie and play he is a bore. By the way there was a another play version of the Phantom that my mother and brother saw which was very different.

Lioness_Heart
12-27-2007, 12:48 PM
I liked the stage musical but thought that the movie was AWFUL. I swiftly gave up on it. bleh.

jongoff
04-17-2008, 08:09 PM
Am I the only one who REALLY dislikes the new "Phantom of the Opera" movie? I saw it and thought it was a gigantic disappointment!!! It's not much like the book in my opinion, and I hate the way that they can't say a word without singing it!!!

While I sympathise with your feelings, the musical is closer to the book than most of the movies that were made in the past. Still, it does diverge from the original story. However, Andrew Lloyd Weber deserves credit for rescuing the book from obscurity.

When he decided to make a musical of the story and went to buy a copy of the book, he found it was out of print. He eventually found a copy in a used book store. The success of the musical is what brought the book out of obscurity and put it back on booshelves, where it belongs.

Jennifer Linfor
04-21-2008, 09:18 AM
While I appreciate what Webber did to bring the story to a younger audience and I liked the film--it was not my favorite. I think it change too much of Leroux's vision. But for what Webber aimed to do in bringing a more 'rock and roll' atmosphere to the tale and a 'younger sexier' phantom for a new generation of fans, I can't deny that he hit the nail on the head.

Jennifer

Dori
06-28-2008, 04:53 PM
When I heard that the actor who played the Phantom in The Phantom of the Opera was the same person that played King Leonidas in 300, I had to see the movie. I finally saw the movie and thought it was great, though I had yet to read the book or see the musical at that point. So convinced was I of its greatness that I shelled out $20 on the extended soundtrack--I listen to it daily.

Forgive me for having a differing opinion, but I thought that the Christine Daae (how do I put on the accent?) of the movie was exquisite. I recently had the opportunity of listening to the soundtrack of the broadway musical. In comparison with that of the movie, I thought the movie's soundtrack was better.

Perhaps I have no taste (or perhaps my admiration for Gerard Butler has made me biased).

I'm actually reading Leroux's The Phantom of the Opera at the moment.

nickyville
02-10-2009, 12:30 PM

The movie never claimed to be based on the book. And they sing coz it's a musical. Sorry, I just don't get how you should be so "gigantically disappointed" when it was made perfectly clear this was a film based on Andrew Lloyd Webber's stage musical and not a movie version of Leroux's book.

nickyville
02-10-2009, 12:39 PM
Andrew Lloyd Weber deserves credit for rescuing the book from obscurity.

When he decided to make a musical of the story and went to buy a copy of the book, he found it was out of print. He eventually found a copy in a used book store. The success of the musical is what brought the book out of obscurity and put it back on booshelves, where it belongs.

I loved the 2004 film. It's what got me into Phantom and I probably would not have discovered Leroux's awesome book if it weren't for the movie. So yeah, thank you, Sir Andrew! :D

Oh yeah, I've since read it three times and will most likely read it again one of these days. :)

Phangirl7
02-14-2009, 12:29 PM
The movie was awesome! It was the thing that got me into Phantom in the first place. It was a really good movie. If you're trying to compare it to the book, don't! It wasn't based on the book, it was based on the musical.
P.G.7.