PDA

View Full Version : 2002 movie like book?

booklvr90
08-21-2007, 08:37 AM
I saw 2 out of 3 hrs of the 2002 movie version of "The Count of Monte Cristo" and since I missed the end, I got the book to read. I was just wondering, is the book going to be anything like the movie I saw?

manolia
08-21-2007, 09:37 AM
Do you mean this one?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0245844/

Geez, i don't know where to start with this one..:(
This movie has little to do with the book :( (one of the best books i've read so far!!). Read the book. It is a fantastic experience..

booklvr90
08-21-2007, 11:59 AM
Do you mean this one?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0245844/

Geez, i don't know where to start with this one..:(
This movie has little to do with the book :( (one of the best books i've read so far!!). Read the book. It is a fantastic experience..

Yep, that's the one.
Well, that kind of stinks that it's not like the book, but I'll go on and read the book anyway.

Charles Darnay
08-21-2007, 12:10 PM
Trust me, read the book, then see the end of the movie and you'll find out which is truly better.

And if you want a really good film adaptation of the book, the 1930's one is better.

closedbyrequest
08-23-2007, 06:59 AM
Yeah. The movie is a horrible rendition. They even changed characters' names. It has a different ending. The revenges are all different. Half of the characters are missing. The only thing I can think of that is the same is the title.

sbmarti2
08-29-2007, 06:33 PM
I actually liked the movie. I'm a huge Dumas fan, but I'm of the opinion that the plot was so intricate that any rendition that tried to copy it would fall far short. They had the right idea by making it more Hollywood friendly, as it was probably a better business decision. While I hate it when they needlessly change things, (Such as Monsieur Clarion), the book is far to vast to make a good adaption out of.

closedbyrequest
08-30-2007, 05:01 AM
The only redeeming part of the movie was the scene when the Count is giving a toast to Albert. The whole line about the aproaching storm was pretty good.

manolia
08-30-2007, 07:14 AM
I actually liked the movie. I'm a huge Dumas fan, but I'm of the opinion that the plot was so intricate that any rendition that tried to copy it would fall far short. They had the right idea by making it more Hollywood friendly, as it was probably a better business decision. While I hate it when they needlessly change things, (Such as Monsieur Clarion), the book is far to vast to make a good adaption out of.

Just curious, did you see the movie prior to reading the book or not?
I read the book first, so it was impossible for me to enjoy the movie..but i think that the movie was bad anyway. I saw it with people who hadn't read the book, and they didn't like it either..But that is just us :) Tastes differ ;) :)

sbmarti2
09-04-2007, 10:11 PM
I saw the movie first, and I agree, it would have probably been less enjoyable if I had read the book first.

Besides, I can't hate the movie too much, it got me to read the book, which eventually got me to read other classics, which eventually got me to read pretty much only classics.

manolia
09-05-2007, 08:19 AM
Besides, I can't hate the movie too much, it got me to read the book, which eventually got me to read other classics, which eventually got me to read pretty much only classics.

:lol: The same happened to me after watching "Dr Jekyl and Mr Hyde". I bought the book right away, read it and ended up reading classics ;)

drunkenKOALA
09-25-2007, 06:33 AM
I thought the book was better.

Weisinheimer
10-03-2007, 10:10 PM
Of course the book is better. They changed pretty much everything in the movie. I guess the basic concept is the same, though.
But the book is absolutely amazing. Definitely read it. It might take a chapter or two before it gets really interesting, but after that, it's hard to put it down.

Pandora Eve
11-15-2007, 03:22 PM
I have yet to see a good movie version and I have tried many. The book I guess is too comlplicated to get into a movie. If you read the book be sure to get a good version of it. It should be close to 1500 pages. I liked the penguin classic translated by Robin Bass.

cartivechi
01-01-2011, 10:15 AM
Yeah. The movie is a horrible rendition. They even changed characters' names. It has a different ending. The revenges are all different. Half of the characters are missing. The only thing I can think of that is the same is the title.

The movie is a shame. It is no comparison between the book of Dumas (http://www.coltulcolectionarului.ro/alexandre-dumas-m-5800.html) and that movie...

DanteAlexander
03-27-2011, 04:00 AM
Can we ever expect a movie to be as good as the book? No. If you wanted it exactly like the book, then why waste your time seeing the movie? Why not just read the book?

Since the first time I read it (which was before I saw the movie by the way) The Count of Monte Cristo has always been one of my favorite books, but despite this, the movie does not bother me. I love the movie, actually. Different as it is, taking the story of a book (especially one that long) and translating it perfectly into a movie is near impossible. Sure they butchered the storyline, but as a movie, I found it really good. It entertains the viewer exactly as it was intended to. I don't understand all the hate here.

Bibliophile79
01-22-2013, 11:19 AM
Should give this the miniseries treatment

kiki1982
01-22-2013, 12:34 PM
A miniseries was made in the nineties in French wit Gérard Depardieu in it. They canged the end and changed something in the middle to do with Haydée, but overall, I liked it.