PDA

View Full Version : Books like "The Phantom of the Opera"

booklvr90
08-19-2007, 09:39 PM
I was wondering, can anyone suggest any books that are similar to "The Phantom of the Opera" but not sequals?

Literary_Cat
08-19-2007, 10:40 PM
Hmm.

If you're going for the whole "Gothic / horror" genre, Stoker's Dracula and Shelley's Frankenstein are always great reads--and drastically different from the way popular culture prefers the stories.

If the "Beauty and the Beast" plot type is what you like, try Robin McKinley's Rose Daughter, which is the all-time best Beauty and the Beast retelling.

Lote-Tree
08-20-2007, 02:10 AM
Are you asking for Gothin Horror Genre - or books on the theme of Unrequited Love?

booklvr90
08-20-2007, 08:03 PM
Are you asking for Gothin Horror Genre - or books on the theme of Unrequited Love?

Hmmm...I'm not sure, I had heard that "The Hunchback of Notre Dame" was sort or like "The Phantom" and I really enjoyed reading it,... just any books that you might think were similarish.
I'd be happy to get suggestions of either Gothic Gorror or Unrequited Love.

booklvr90
08-20-2007, 08:04 PM
Are any of Gaston Leroux's other books any good? Are they like "The Phantom"?

Literary_Cat
08-21-2007, 10:10 PM
The only other Leroux story I have ever heard of is "The Mystery of the Yellow Room," but I have not read it.

Also, for unrequited love, try The Count of Monte Cristo. It's brilliant.

booklvr90
08-22-2007, 08:42 AM
The only other Leroux story I have ever heard of is "The Mystery of the Yellow Room," but I have not read it.

Also, for unrequited love, try The Count of Monte Cristo. It's brilliant.

That's funny that you should mention "The Count of Monet Cristo"! I got that book at the library a couple days ago and am hoping to start it soon!

Literary_Cat
08-22-2007, 09:26 AM
Be warned: The Count is nothing like (and far superior to) any movies you may have seen. If you've read The Three Musketeers and liked Athos, you'll like Edmund Dantes--there are a number of interesting parallels between the characters. And though we can pick up the entire book and read it straight through, it was originally published as a serial in a magazine/newspaper. I hope you enjoy it!

booklvr90
08-22-2007, 06:43 PM
I actually got the book because I saw 2/3 of the 2002 version of "The Count" and missed the end. I have not read anything else by the man who wrote it (can't remember his name right off) and I'm really excited about starting it!!!!

ljorda
03-07-2008, 03:37 PM
Hi, there is a new book out "Through Phantom Eyes" written by Theodora Bruns. It is the first book telling 'Erik's' story of were he came from and, his life at the opera house. You can search it on eBay, if you purchase it please, let them know how you found out about it. It is a very good read.

ljorda

Phangirl7
03-14-2009, 03:11 PM
I would recommend "Dracula" and "Frankenstien" (Which I am reading right now.)
I've read other books that are about unrequited love.
(Can't think of any right now.)
P.G.7.