PDA

View Full Version : All that Glitters

Literary_Cat
08-18-2007, 10:47 AM
I didn't want to make trouble, but the farmers, etc. came after me with pitchforks, so I blew some fire at the straw roof of the town hall and flew away. I could see them all purple with rage shouting after me, but it was only a little cow, and really, what’s a little cow between neighbors?

As it was indeed a little cow and not hearty enough to fill both my stomachs, I scouted the lake area for a mermaid, but no luck. They must have seen my shadow and dove down into the deep waters. Wretched things, mermaids, all hair and glittering scales. Once I heard of a mer-king who bargained his daughter back from a dragon with a gold trident. If there’s one thing more tempting than meat, it’s gold. I’d give up a mermaid for a gold bracelet, let alone a whole trident or. Not the conjunction, Latin for gold.

Latin is good for monks and wizards, and the only difference between the two is wizards have more crunch. Comes form starving themselves over knowledge. Never did hold with starving for anything except what glitters and isn’t a mermaid either. If the wizard I’d eaten a couple days ago had been more hearty, I wouldn’t have been hungry for the cow. Goes to show you.

As I was flying back over the road between the village and the lake, I saw a conjunction that glitters in Latin from the corner of my eye. I dipped low to see whether it was true, that there really could be an unprotected cart full of gold, etc. itching to be snatched up. But then the harpoon came at me out of nowhere, and I felt a sharp pain in my wing and heard something rip.

“Good day to you, dragon,” said the wizard when I was bound with iron cords. I breathed smoke out of my nostrils at him but he just laughed. “I understand the discomfiture you may be feeling,” he said. “But really, what’s a little trap between neighbors?” And he lifted the axe, etc.