PDA

View Full Version : English Translations?

Sparrow
08-15-2007, 11:36 PM
After reading the Three Musketeers, I've had the urge to read more of Dumas's novels. But I'm unsure as to which translation is the best for me to read.

I read the modern library version of the Three Musketeers, which I thought was pretty good. Then again, I don't have anything to judge it against, so I'm unsure how true to the original text it actually was.

I'd like to get the best translations for the rest of the series, and possibly replace the Three Musketeers if that particular translation isn't true to the text, as well as the Count of Monte Christo. Does anyone have any suggestions?

closedbyrequest
08-15-2007, 11:40 PM
Read them online. The version of The Count of Monte Cristo on this site is your best bet. I have 3 translations in print form and each of them are missing something, be it a chapter, or a few lines here and there.

I found a PDF version some where, but if you are going to read it on the computer, just read it online here.

Pandora Eve
10-22-2007, 02:28 PM
I read two print versions and found the penguin edition to be the better one. I haven't read the computer version.

forbes_ashley
07-22-2008, 12:52 PM
The Peguin edition is the best one to read because it is unabridged. I would definately choose that one. trust me, there is a difference

JerryO
04-12-2009, 07:45 AM
Did you find that the Penguin edition was better than what you had been reading? I have no interest in reading online but wonder who the translator is for that version.
JerryO

js99
03-08-2010, 09:56 PM
Penguin is the best but I think they only have The Three Musketeers. The translator is Richard Pevear, and it's the closest translation. What's the best published translation of 20 Years After?