PDA

View Full Version : I love this continuance!!!

Haidee
07-29-2007, 03:23 PM
That book was really dazzling and exciting how all Dumas books are!!!:D I couldnt stop reading until I finished... Why he didnt write more continuance?! :bawling: I would like to read more of this brave hearts with so much tensions! Everybody should read this book :thumbs_up

AthosESK
08-02-2007, 01:48 AM
Haidee, he did. Three volumes worth of it.

Pandora Eve
03-24-2008, 04:46 PM
I read the three books after Twenty Years After which are actually one book The Man in the Iron Mask broken into three parts. The next three books are not like the first two though. They spend a lot of time with in the French Court which I could have cared less about and The musketeeres do get lost in the books especially the seond one. The ending of the Three Musketeers is also not a carefree adventure (like The Counto of Monte Cristo or the movies) but, more akin to a Victor Hugo tragedy. You may like the three parts of the Man in the Iron Mask but, I found it to be an unpleasant surprise. If you are looking for something more like The Musketeers and The Count try The Women's War translated by Robin Buss. It is a good one. By the way what did you think of Mordant?

Chap
07-07-2008, 12:31 PM
I found the characters here more likeable. They have matured and are more deliberate. Plus The Fronde is just an interesting time. Dumas's later book The Women's War also takes place at this time. Good read.

kiki1982
07-10-2008, 06:22 AM
I agree with Chap!

I found certainly Athos and Porthos more developed. The first into the fatherr figure he had a tendency to be in the first book and the latter into a figure of ultimate devotion and friendship. That scene on the boat when they have to escape and his valets don't want to jump is soo lovely...:)
He has no brains, but he will always come and help you when you are in need...

Also the valets have changed. I love Grimaud, who always does whatever he believes fit, even without asking, and who learned a little English :) . And Mousqueton who is bragging to Blaisois that he will show him 'how old soldiers drink'...

I don't think Aramis and d'Artagnan dramatically changed. They have both become older, but none the wiser, as it turns out. Although d'Artagnan can now get what he wants more easily.:D

DeLaFere
11-16-2009, 10:44 AM
I agree with Chap!

I found certainly Athos and Porthos more developed. The first into the fatherr figure he had a tendency to be in the first book and the latter into a figure of ultimate devotion and friendship. That scene on the boat when they have to escape and his valets don't want to jump is soo lovely...:)
He has no brains, but he will always come and help you when you are in need...

Also the valets have changed. I love Grimaud, who always does whatever he believes fit, even without asking, and who learned a little English :) . And Mousqueton who is bragging to Blaisois that he will show him 'how old soldiers drink'...

I don't think Aramis and d'Artagnan dramatically changed. They have both become older, but none the wiser, as it turns out. Although d'Artagnan can now get what he wants more easily.:D

I agree. Aramis, through his maturity, does even show some traces of nobility in his actions! Athos, who will forever have my heart, truly shines now because of having something to live for- Raoul. And D'artagnan? Simply improved with age.