PDA

View Full Version : Dissatisfaction with self resulting in adverse circumstances for all?

Megha
07-20-2007, 03:44 AM
Hey..
Wuthering Heights is my favourite book of all time, unfortunately made the mistake of choosing it for my Extended Essay in school...which is making me dread the book!! I've been considering Dissatisfaction with self as a possible title for my essay... any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks..

staticgirl
08-05-2007, 09:18 AM
okay let me think...
the most obvious one:

Cathy rejects Heathcliff for Edgar.: ...'It would degrade me to marry Heathcliff now; so he shall never know how I love him: and that, not because he's handsome, Nelly, but because he's more myself than I am. Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same; and Linton's is as different as a moonbeam from lightning, or frost from fire.'! Is she rejecting the reality of her own nature for the delights of the civilised people at Thrushcross Grange. It kills her.

Heathcliff wishes he was like Edgar a couple of times:'But, Nelly, if I knocked [Edgar] down twenty times, that wouldn't make him less handsome or me [Heathcliff] more so. I wish I had light hair and a fair skin, and was dressed and behaved as well, and had a chance of being as rich as he will be!'

'And cried for mamma at every turn,' I added, 'and trembled if a country lad heaved his fist against you, and sat at home all day for a shower of rain."

Quite slim pickings for an extended essay... sorry!