PDA

View Full Version : Old primers used late 19th century

MarieK
07-16-2007, 08:03 AM
Hello to all. I'm new to the Literature Network and this is my first post. I'm delighted to be a member and I'm sure this site will be of great help to me. I am currently trying to track down a poem (at least I believe it is a poem). My Mother repeated it often and said she had learned it in school. It was her favourite and oh, how I wish I had paid more attention. She died in 1982 at the age of 86. She attended school in a small town in Newfoundland, Canada and I believe, rather than using grades back then, they used Primer 1, Primer 2, Primer 3, etc. I can only remember these few words and, to be honest, I cannot promise this is an exact quotation: " "She will not come", said the gentle child." I think the piece was about an animal--a dog, a horse, a cow, etc. Any help would be gratefully received. It is just something I remembered a day or two ago and I can't get it out of my mind. Thank you so very much!

motherhubbard
07-16-2007, 08:11 AM
'The Dog' by Lydia Howard Huntley Sigourney (1791-1865),

"He will not come," said the gentle child,
And she patted the poor dog's head,
And she pleasantly call'd him and fondly smil'd;
But he heeded her not, in his anguish wild,
Nor arose from his lowly bed.

'Twas his master's grave where he chose to rest,
He guarded it night and day;
The love that glowed in his grateful breast,
For the friend who had fed, controlled, carest,
Might never fade away.

I don't think that all of it, I'm not sure

MarieK
07-16-2007, 01:38 PM
Thank you so very much, motherhubbard! This is, indeed, the poem that has been haunting me. You have made my day, my week and my month.

Warmest regards,
Marie