PDA

View Full Version : julius caesar- act 1 scene 1

engfan4ever
07-09-2007, 02:57 AM
what is the significance of the opening scene of julius caesar? why is it so important?

kesar
06-30-2008, 08:06 AM
Even I Dont Know What Is The Significance Of Act 1 Scene 1, Act 1 Scene 2 , Act 1 Scene 3 . If U Know Plzz Sent Me A Reply............................................. ........ Plzzzzzzzzzzzz Fast

Bcz The Dead Line To Submit My Project Is Coming

Thanks ,
Your Frnd
Kesar

jgweed
06-30-2008, 09:17 AM
Aside from the punny bits at the beginning ( a form of darkening the house), the first scene presents several themes running throughout the play.
1).The fickleness of the rabble (soon to be demonstrated in the funeral orations):"You blocks, you stones, you worse than senseless things!" and "And do you now strew flowers in his way/That comes in triumph over Pompey's blood?"
2). "Who else would soar above the view of men
And keep us all in servile fearfulness," indicates the fear amongst the better part that Caesar was not the Republican general that was Pompey--- but someone with great pride and ambition for control of the state. The whole play revolves around the transition from the Rome of the Senate (SPQR) as a republic to the Augustan Principiate and then to the Roman Empire under the successors of Augustus.
Shakespeare here begins to lay before the audience the justifications for the murder of JC by the conspirators (regicide was frowned upon under ElizabethI), and to indicate that the group of Senators were not a fringe element, but undertook the deed from reasoned and patriotic motives (Brutus's later funeral oration).