PDA

View Full Version : My first post.

JADJARHD
07-07-2007, 04:15 AM
Hello,

I am a 35 year old married father of two from Alaska. I have always been an avid reader and was in the honors English program in High School. When I went to the University, however, I stopped reading literature in favor of my textbooks and have since read mostly nonfiction.

A little over a year ago I subscribed to the Easton Press 100 greatest books collection and have rediscovered my love of literature. I have been at a loss however of having somebody to discuss these books with as my wife's taste in books is different from mine (not better or worse, just different) and none of my friends are interested in literature.

Some of my favorite books include: Anthem, Lonesome Dove, Farenhiet 451, Great Expectations, The Killer Angels, Treasure Island, and many, many others.

Right now I am about 1/3 of the way through David Copperfield.

Thanks for reading my introduction. I look forward to talking in the future.

PrinceMyshkin
07-07-2007, 08:53 AM
I don't know if I'll be in the mood to discuss any of the books you're reading. I taught for many years and am sort of tired of having literary opinions, but from the pleasant, straightforward tone of your post, I get the impression of a person it would be enjoyable to get to know.

Adolescent09
07-07-2007, 10:47 AM
Some of my favorite books include:Farenhiet 451, Great Expectations

Right now I am about 1/3 of the way through David Copperfield.

What marvellous reads! It's funny that I read all three of those books you listed all in the same year last year. I'm sixteen and I found a place here at lit net a few months ago. You'll be amazed at the diversity of literary interests and talent prevalent in mostly all sections of the forum. Welcome and enjoy your stay :).

JADJARHD
07-07-2007, 08:50 PM
I appreciate the sentiments.

Apparently I have already upset fans of Tolkien and Frank Herbert in the other sections. Oh well. Its still nice to have a forum for talking about books.

Virgil
07-07-2007, 08:54 PM
Hey welcome Jad. I'm sure you will enjoy lit net. Please feel right at home. We had David Copperfield for a Book Forum group read and discussion last year. Perhaps you may want to read through the thread and add your opinion at some point. Here's the link to it: http://www.online-literature.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19306

JADJARHD
07-08-2007, 03:40 AM
I will be sure to check it out. I am enjoying the book so far and as long as somebody drops a house on Miss Murdstone I think it will be a good read.

applepie
07-09-2007, 10:52 PM
Welcome to LitNet:D I found this site when I started to read the classics again to escape from my text books. I'm at the end of college, and if I read one more marketing text book I'm going to scream. Try joining the forum book club. I don't always like the books, but it is a good way to broaden your horizons and discuss literature.

JADJARHD
07-10-2007, 03:54 AM
Welcome to LitNet:D I found this site when I started to read the classics again to escape from my text books. I'm at the end of college, and if I read one more marketing text book I'm going to scream. Try joining the forum book club. I don't always like the books, but it is a good way to broaden your horizons and discuss literature.

By the time I was done with school I never wanted to go through another math proof or example problem again. Hey wait, its been years and I have not had to. :D

applepie
07-12-2007, 02:05 AM
By the time I was done with school I never wanted to go through another math proof or example problem again. Hey wait, its been years and I have not had to. :D

:lol: :lol: That is how I'm feeling about marketing and business studies at the moment. If I read another business book ever again, it will be far too soon. It's likely very good that this is my last business class. All I have left to take is an elective, and I'm going to take biology since science is one subject I find real pleasure in. Well, that and English Lit, but I've already taken all the fun literature classes.

dramasnot6
07-12-2007, 03:54 AM
Welcome Jad! Sounds like some great taste,i too love Farenheit 451. I´m sure youll have a blast here.

JADJARHD
07-13-2007, 04:34 AM
If your going to take a science you should take Physics. Everything else is just applied Physics anyway. (As my advisor always said.)

applepie
07-14-2007, 01:15 AM
If your going to take a science you should take Physics. Everything else is just applied Physics anyway. (As my advisor always said.)

I'm actually going to take biology. I have some hope of eventually going for my masters and if I do, I'll backtrack a little and get a MBS in Biology and bore some highschool or college students somewhere with my lectures that only I find interesting:D