PDA

View Full Version : essay

moonbeam6902
07-06-2007, 09:43 AM
I'm writing an essay for AP lit about the connection between dating/marriage patterns then and now with relation to women's/parent's roles, relationships between the sexes and the social expectations. The deadline has been cut off by a week for me because I'll be away-so I'm really scrambling to finish the two assigned essays. Can anyone give me some more examples from the book because I really feel like I'm missing something. It would be greatly appriciated!

JBI
07-06-2007, 05:13 PM
Have you read the book?

Scheherazade
07-06-2007, 05:52 PM
Welcome to the Forum, Moonbeam! :)

If you post some of your own ideas, other members might find it easier to respond.

moonbeam6902
07-07-2007, 10:10 AM
yes, I've read the book. So far I've used the ideas of marriage for economic gain(charlotte), sensual gain(lydia), and true love(lizzy). I've also talked about how the parent's effect the relationships and what kind of life women lived. What Im really looking for are more examples of courtship and relationships between sexes from the book so I can relate it to the 21st century.

sciencefan
07-07-2007, 03:38 PM
I'm writing an essay for AP lit about the connection between dating/marriage patterns then and now with relation to women's/parent's roles, relationships between the sexes and the social expectations. The deadline has been cut off by a week for me because I'll be away-so I'm really scrambling to finish the two assigned essays. Can anyone give me some more examples from the book because I really feel like I'm missing something. It would be greatly appreciated!That is really a huge topic when you think about it.
One of the major differences between then and now is
the way parents used to arrange the marriage for their daughter.
Remember how Mrs. Bennett insists that Elizabeth marry Mr. Collins
or else she will never speak to her again.
Thankfully, for Lizzie's sake, Mr. Bennett had the last word.

One of the other features of that time that sticks out to me is
the way that women made themselves attractive to wealthy men.
The list that Caroline Bingley and Mr. Darcy spout off is helpful in detailing those sort of social,
if not "requirements" at least "attractions".
That discussion takes place when they talk about "accomplished women".

In my opinion, Jane Austen promotes the idea that partners in a marriage should be "similar",
and I guess it depends on how similar they really are.
I don’t exactly fully agree with her.
I happen to be a strong believer in "opposites attract".
While I believe people should be similar in commonality of interest and perhaps,
as Austen promotes, similarity of strength of intellect and wit,
I personally believe a good match is one where one's strengths complement the other's weaknesses.
As the quip goes, if both of you always thought alike on everything,
one of you wouldn't be necessary.

That's my philosophy,
and I just celebrated my 25th Wedding Anniversary with the man of dreams.

Bumble Bee
08-02-2007, 11:27 PM
hey i am doing almost the same assignment at school if you have any information that would help me that would be great!!!! I am kind of desperate!!!

sciencefan
08-03-2007, 02:57 PM
hey i am doing almost the same assignment at school if you have any information that would help me that would be great!!!! I am kind of desperate!!!Can you be more specific about what you would like to know?

Why are you in school in August?

Bumble Bee
08-05-2007, 08:49 PM
Hello,

I live in Australia that is why I am at school. Ummmmmmm... the assignment is that I have come up with the theory that literature lies to us. Through the novels Pride and Prejudice and North and South it can be seen that Elizabeth and Margaret both reject offers of marriage which would not really happen in those days. It is a highly regarded text and we assume that they would portray a realistic view of society however they don't.

Thank-you for your help.

Bumble Bee
08-05-2007, 08:54 PM
That didn't really help. Ummmmm if you know of any theories or have any of your own that would support my theory I would love to hear from you.

Thanks

sciencefan
08-05-2007, 09:55 PM
Hello,

I live in Australia that is why I am at school. Ummmmmmm... the assignment is that I have come up with the theory that literature lies to us. Through the novels Pride and Prejudice and North and South it can be seen that Elizabeth and Margaret both reject offers of marriage which would not really happen in those days. It is a highly regarded text and we assume that they would portray a realistic view of society however they don't.

Thank-you for your help.I have only read Pride & Prejudice.
In real life, Jane Austen did reject an offer of marriage because she did not love the man,
so I wouldn't think that while I agree that it did not happen frequently that a woman turned down an offer of marriage,
one can't really say it was "unrealistic".

I have always thought that Austen was trying to encourage women to be more careful about whom they accept an offer of marriage from.
In that sense, marrying for convenience, or money or social status happened a lot more frequently

than marrying for love or compatibility or emotional attraction.