PDA

View Full Version : Most obscure band on your iPod?

weepingforloman
07-03-2007, 12:17 PM
Well... I think the title is self-explanatory. I'll start, I've got a few obscure bands: Dream Theater, Liquid Tension Experiment, Black Star, Talib Kweli (rapper, not band), The Toadies.

kiobe
07-03-2007, 12:31 PM
Well the most obscure album on my record player would be Three Man Army or Gentle Giant. Sorry no ipod.

papayahed
07-03-2007, 01:43 PM
If I have a non-ipod can I answer?

RobinHood3000
07-03-2007, 02:49 PM
I have a song from my girlfriend from a group called Splashdown, I think...

Bakiryu
07-03-2007, 03:05 PM
Well, i have bands from different countries. In their countries they're famous but here? I would have to say: T.a.T.u., Cellar Door, Okina Reika, Lost Prophets and Himesh Reshamiya.

Bartholomew
07-03-2007, 03:29 PM
Dream Theater, Liquid Tension ExperimentThese two, especially Dream Theater, are not very obscure if I've heard of them and don't even like that genre of music.

Some of the more obscure things I have are Flower Travellin' Band, The Attack, Barclay James Harvest, Edgar Winter Group, Fréhel, The In Crowd, Kaleidoscope, The Nice, Nikhil Banerjee, Sugarloaf, and Tank, which is a band that my friend's uncle was in during the late 70s, and I only have because he let me borrow a CDR of selected recordings. That's probably the most obscure band I have.

kilted exile
07-03-2007, 03:38 PM
Probably the most obscure stuff on my mp3 player are Glasgow Rangers songs (about 7 in total), the brogdonigan bards & the mudmen (bagpipe playing punks)

metal134
07-03-2007, 03:41 PM
Oh man, I have so many of them; HammerFall, Accept, Beyond Fear, Blind Guardian, The Melvins, Iron Saviour, Kamelot, Savatage, Stratovarious, Pain of Salvation, Saint Vitus, Armored Saint, Down; I could go on. I would have named Symphony X, but a lot of people on this board have professed affection for them, so I guess they aren't that obscure.

Bartholomew
07-03-2007, 03:44 PM
I used to listen to Stratovarius and Hammerfall a few years ago when I was into that kind of thing.

manolia
07-03-2007, 04:03 PM
Oh man, I have so many of them; HammerFall, Accept, Beyond Fear, Blind Guardian, The Melvins, Iron Saviour, Kamelot, Savatage, Stratovarious, Pain of Salvation, Saint Vitus, Armored Saint, Down; I could go on. I would have named Symphony X, but a lot of people on this board have professed affection for them, so I guess they aren't that obscure.

I wouldn't consider Hammerfall, Accept, Blind Guardian, Iron Saviour, Kamelot, Savatage, Stratovarious as obscure. They are among the most famous metal bands!

Most obscure for me Corvus Corax and Clan of Xymox.

applepie
07-03-2007, 04:09 PM
I think it would have to be the happy Daggers, and maybe Flogging Molly.

metal134
07-03-2007, 07:00 PM
I wouldn't consider Hammerfall, Accept, Blind Guardian, Iron Saviour, Kamelot, Savatage, Stratovarious as obscure. They are among the most famous metal bands!

Most obscure for me Corvus Corax and Clan of Xymox.
They are among metal fans, but no one I know ever knows who the heck I'm talking about. Metal fans are harder and harder to find these days; people consider Linkin Park and Limp Biskit metal. Blech.

weepingforloman
07-03-2007, 10:34 PM
If I have a non-ipod can I answer?

Absolutely. I thought it would work better to say "iPod" than "CD collection." ;)

weepingforloman
07-03-2007, 10:35 PM
These two, especially Dream Theater, are not very obscure if I've heard of them and don't even like that genre of music.

Bear in mind that I'm sixteen. No one in my generation has heard of them (I think only about three people at my school)

weepingforloman
07-03-2007, 10:36 PM
I think it would have to be the happy Daggers, and maybe Flogging Molly.

Everybody knows FM now. Course, I'm from MA and we're all Irish anyway.

metal134
07-03-2007, 11:04 PM
Bear in mind that I'm sixteen. No one in my generation has heard of them (I think only about three people at my school)
I'm in my 20s and only a couple of people I've met have heard of them. For whatever reason, people think that Linkin Park and Nickelback are the apex of rock (and I use the term "rock" loosly) music.

weepingforloman
07-03-2007, 11:38 PM
Both are terrible. I wish I was around for the 70s. The classic rock scene was awesome.

*Classic*Charm*
07-03-2007, 11:46 PM
The Most Serene Republic

applepie
07-04-2007, 12:44 AM
Everybody knows FM now. Course, I'm from MA and we're all Irish anyway.

I have a thing for the bagpipes, so that is houw I found them, but most people around here didn't know who they were until one of their songs was on The Departed soundtrack. Most of my obscure music belongs to groups that played at the local Rennaisance (sp?) festival.

Lily Adams
07-04-2007, 12:50 AM
Rillian and the Doxie Chicks
Jihad Jerry and the Evildoers (If you're a DEVO fan they're not really obscure, though.)

Uuuuuuuuh....I think that's it. Ooh! Ooh! I have this really early song from The Sleepers. I think they're obscure...I only have it because it's a comedy thing with Trace Beaulieu on it.

papayahed
07-04-2007, 09:00 AM
Most obscure....that's a tough one. It's either Skillet Lickers, but Sancho recommended them so I'm not sure how obscure they are. Then I have a couple of local bands called Gangster Fun and the Polish Muslims.

and Meryn Cadell?

metal134
07-04-2007, 11:40 AM
Both are terrible. I wish I was around for the 70s. The classic rock scene was awesome.
Ditto. I got some good music growing up; Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Tool, etc., but I often wish I had been around for classic rock. So the music scene when I was that age wasn't the best, but it was pretty decent. I couldn't imagine having to grow up through the crap bands of today.

Countess
07-04-2007, 01:54 PM
I have many, I think - if anyone has heard or listened to these, please tell me (because I know of no-one on this site) Doomsday Refreshment Committee, The Cruxshadows, Screaming for Emily, The 69 Eyes, Anders Manga, Combichrist, Velvet Acid Christ, Rotersand, Razed in Black and Assemblage 23 / VNV Nation. Oh, Imperative Reaction, Bella Morte, Angels and Agony, Mesh, Monofader.

Anyone recognize any of these?

Virgil
07-04-2007, 02:07 PM

:lol: Well, I was around for it and it doesn't seem any different than today. In the 70s we all wished we were around for the 60s. And the people who grew up in the 60s wished they were around for the 50s. We all have a certain longing for a "better" time.

Bakiryu
07-04-2007, 02:27 PM
Has anyone here ever heard of T.a.T.u.?

Guzmán
07-04-2007, 06:59 PM
Some not-so-well-known stuff i have lying around on mp3:
-Stuff involving the likes of John Zorn, Fred Frith and Derek Bailey
-A couple of Cecil Taylor concerts from the 60s and 70s
-Henry Cow's "Concerts"
-All of David Torn's solo albums
-Some King Crimson bootlegs and sideprojects from it's various members
-Dave Holland and Sam Rivers vol 1

papayahed
07-04-2007, 07:10 PM
:lol: Well, I was around for it and it doesn't seem any different than today. In the 70s we all wished we were around for the 60s. And the people who grew up in the 60s wished they were around for the 50s. We all have a certain longing for a "better" time.

I dunno I kinda dug the 80's!:D :lol: But that probably only shows the level of my musical taste. I liken it to the Waffle Hoses of the restaurant world.

the silent x
07-04-2007, 08:21 PM
dark new day, demon hunter, voodoo glow skulls, mudvayne, mastodon, institute, atreyu, hans zimmer (composer)

Bakiryu
07-04-2007, 08:25 PM
atreyu (composer)

dude, EVERYONE knows Atreyu!

the silent x
07-04-2007, 08:26 PM
ok, i didn't know that, not many kids in my school knew about them

kilted exile
07-04-2007, 08:29 PM
dude, EVERYONE knows Atreyu!

This is actually correct, I take great delight in knowing very little about this stuff & I am familiar with this name. Also the name Tatu rings a bell as well, not sure from where however.

Bakiryu
07-04-2007, 08:29 PM
Weird. In my school at least half the students know them Except is a sign that you're either an emo, a rocker or a goth.

This is actually correct, I take great delight in knowing very little about this stuff & I am familiar with this name. Also the name Tatu rings a bell as well, not sure from where however.

T.a.T.u (also known as Tarry) is from Russia! Here's 2 vids: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muJaDZA-_Bk and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJdjcCG5wgo

Ever heard of" Cute is What we Aim for"? I don't think anybody knows them> Or Verka Serduchka and Alla Pugacheva.

higley
07-04-2007, 08:44 PM
Dean Martin... nobody knows who he is anymore..

Otherwise, it's Tagine, Under the Influence of Giants, possibly The Myriad and The Wedding. They're all very good. ;) But sometimes I have difficulty telling apart some of the other alternative bands because they're starting to sound alike.

papayahed
07-05-2007, 08:24 AM
Dean Martin... nobody knows who he is anymore..

I have the Andrew Sisters and Louis Prima.

Also, I have another local band - The Dirtbombs.

Should local bands really count?

AimusSage
07-05-2007, 08:52 AM
I don't have an I-pod, so I'll just assume you meant portable media players in general. :p

On my mp3 player I have this very obscure band called Unknown. They're actually pretty good, also an artist called Unknown Artist, but he's not as good as the band. Beside that I've got a lot of local bands, and I'm not going to name all of them. :)

weepingforloman
07-05-2007, 02:28 PM

Yup. Anybody know if they are a legit couple, or if it was a marketing ploy?

kratsayra
07-05-2007, 02:37 PM
I have the Andrew Sisters and Louis Prima.

Also, I have another local band - The Dirtbombs.

Should local bands really count?

Do local bands count? Because I was going to list Susan Werner a Philadelphia-area artist. And I don't even live in Philadelphia anymore. If she's not local to me, then what does that mean? :D

And they aren't that obscure, but I'm just curious . . . anyone else here a Rasputina fan?? On the other forums I visit, I'm very much alone. ;)

Bakiryu
07-05-2007, 02:38 PM
Yup. Anybody know if they are a legit couple, or if it was a marketing ploy?

Marketting ploy: Yulia Volkova is pregnant now.

M. Max
07-05-2007, 02:49 PM
i have some african chanting (it sounds like it belongs in the lion king)

beauty and the beast, pocahontas, and nightmare before christmas are definitely somewhere on my ipod :)

rintrah
07-05-2007, 06:31 PM
OK, I think I'm high on the obscure list;

I have Tinariwen's latest album - they are a Tuareg group who sing mostly in the Tamashek language of Mali. They mix ethnic tribal singing with electric guitars.

Also I have some of Huun Huur Tu's album '60 Horses In My Herd' (a great name for an album, I think). They are Mongolian throat singers.

I must add Angelite, a chorus of Bulgarian women singers, and a stunning rendition of Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau (the Welsh National Anthem) by the Brymbo Men's Choir.

How's that? It must be obscure, because my wife rolls her eyes every time I play this stuff.

I also have The Good The Bad and The Queen, and a couple of tracks by electro group Hot Chip.

Bakiryu
07-05-2007, 06:36 PM
Who likes:

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w290/misswheeler_1/kill%20hannah/Kill_Hannah_02.jpg

??????????????????????????????????????

the silent x
07-05-2007, 08:08 PM
i've heard of them but i don't think i've listened to their songs,

DEMON HUNTER!!!!!

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u252/the-silent-x/demonhuntergrouppicturecopy.jpg

complete bada**es compared to the kill hannah emos (no offense, it's just that Demon Hunter looks lik eit would rather slice you than slice themselves)

one more band that no one knows of [The] Vitamin string quartet, they do a lot of tributes to rock songs, it's pretty darn amazing. it is an actual string quartet though

Bakiryu
07-05-2007, 08:53 PM
Hey! Kill Hannah is not emo: ATREYU IS!

papayahed
07-05-2007, 08:57 PM
So what's Emo?

Bakiryu
07-05-2007, 09:02 PM
So what's Emo?

You're kidding, right? Emo is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emo_%28music%29 or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emo_%28slang%29

papayahed
07-05-2007, 09:11 PM
You're kidding, right? Emo is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emo_%28music%29 or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emo_%28slang%29

Come on I'm old!:D

So, Fugazi was emo? I thought they were more industrial along the lines if NIN and Ministry. Don't Laugh.

Sittin in the waiting room....
I wait i wait I wait...

Bakiryu
07-05-2007, 09:17 PM
No they're punk. Fugazi INFLUENCED emo.

papayahed
07-05-2007, 09:23 PM
Fugazi was punk? bah kids today. I'll have to check to see if ATREYU is on napster.

Now where'd I punt my Winger Cassette???

Bakiryu
07-05-2007, 09:24 PM
What's a Winger? Just find atreyu on youtube.

papayahed
07-05-2007, 09:28 PM
This is a winger:

http://www.nndb.com/people/581/000089314/winger-sm.jpg

:D

80's Hair Band

Bakiryu
07-05-2007, 09:29 PM
OOOH, *Drools* he's kinda cute. Especially his hair. and blue eyes.

papayahed
07-06-2007, 08:37 AM
They tended to all look like that in the 80's but I he did it better then most.

Lily Adams
07-06-2007, 05:06 PM

D:

*weeps at self* I was born only 20 years too late, I think. But sometimes I long to live in the 18th century...*rocks out to classical music* I've gotten better with what I call my "timesickness", but it still comes back once in a while. I mean, I can just transport myself through time through media...media that didn't exist in the past. LIKE THE INTERNET!

But I'm glad I at least saw some of the awesome cartoons of the '90s. But the '80s just drips coolness.

Mortis Anarchy
07-06-2007, 05:13 PM
Fugazi was punk? bah kids today. I'll have to check to see if ATREYU is on napster.

Fugazi!!!!!!!!!! Love them...:D

I'm really into Radiohead and Shiny Toy Guns at the moment...and I like Reggeaton...:blush:

Hmmm...probably Cafe Tacuba or something else thats latin american...a lot of Brazilian, Argentinian and Cuban music.

metal134
07-06-2007, 06:15 PM

http://www.mtv.com/onair/beavisandbutthead/personality_images/relaunch_crops/281x211_stewart.jpg

Bakiryu
07-06-2007, 07:15 PM
Reggeaton...

oooh I love Wisin y yandel, Ivy Queen, Don Omar and of course, ROMEO!

Mortis Anarchy
07-06-2007, 07:39 PM
oooh I love Wisin y yandel, Ivy Queen, Don Omar and of course, ROMEO!

OH! Love them! Glad i'm not alone when it comes to Reggeaton...so danceable...so much energy!!

Bakiryu
07-06-2007, 07:53 PM
I know! At first I didn't like it but after 3 years of being forced to listen to it, to fit in I learned to appreciate it.

Mortis Anarchy
07-06-2007, 07:54 PM
I only got into it because thats all my first boyfriend would listen too!! He is Colombian...so there you go!

Idril
07-07-2007, 11:23 PM
That would probably be Gypsy Foot (http://www.gypsyfoot.com/) simply because they're a local band and even though they have gotten around a bit, I don't really expect anyone else to be familiar with them. As far as more established bands there are a few that I have on my iPod that I've never seen mentioned on here although I have no doubt there are people out there who have heard of them, Beta Band, The Wood Brothers, Poe, Magneta Lane, Ednaswap and Ballboy

crisaor
07-08-2007, 12:08 AM
As far as more established bands there are a few that I have on my iPod that I've never seen mentioned on here although I have no doubt there are people out there who have heard of them, Beta Band, The Wood Brothers, Poe, Magneta Lane, Ednaswap and Ballboy
That's the only one I know from your list.

The ones not so common in mine, not counting local bands:
Babybird, Elkland, The Sea and Cake, The Thrills, The Left Banke, Tindersticks.

Mortis Anarchy
07-08-2007, 12:49 AM

Man, I heard T.a.T.u when I was 12...that was like 5-6 years ago, they are pretty good, good for dancing and gym...and I agree, Atreyu is pretty big. I've actually heard quite of the more obscure metal bands that have been posted on hear. I love Lacrimosa, orchestral metal band...

anyone heard of Mago de Oz? Probably, big metal band from Spain, how about Molotov, Maná...

My dad loves the Skillet Lickers!

Idril
07-08-2007, 09:47 AM
That's the only one I know from your list.

It makes me happy that someone has heard of the Beta Band, what do you think of them?

LPRox015
07-08-2007, 09:59 AM
Royksopp, Silverchair, Sonata Artica, Tetsu 69...etc.

kratsayra
07-08-2007, 02:07 PM
It makes me happy that someone has heard of the Beta Band

The Beta Band is referenced in the movie of High Fidelity, I'm pretty sure. So I've heard of them, but I've never actually heard them. ;)

Idril
07-08-2007, 02:12 PM
The Beta Band is referenced in the movie of High Fidelity, I'm pretty sure.

Yeah, they are, they even have a song on the soundtrack, that's one of the reasons why I'm surprised I don't hear them mentioned more often. It's a great song, btw, the one on the soundtrack, Dry The Rain. One of the most brilliantly constructed songs I've ever heard, I highly recommend it. :thumbs_up

crisaor
07-08-2007, 11:18 PM
It makes me happy that someone has heard of the Beta Band, what do you think of them?
They're OK I guess, although I listened to one of their albums (Heroes to Zeroes IIRC) and wasn't that impressed. They air some of their songs here on the radio every now and then.