-The Birthday of the Infanta
-The Fisherman and His Soul
-The Star Child

Lord Savile's Crime and Other Stories (1891):
-Lord Savile's Crime
-The Sphinx Without a Secret
-The Canterville Ghost
-The Model Millionaire

The online copies can be found here. (http://www.online-literature.com/wilde/)

Happy reading!

Book Club Regulations (http://www.online-literature.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4104)

Pensive
07-01-2007, 03:36 PM
In June we will be reading Oscar Wilde's short stories:

Can't wait for about a whole year to pass as there are about eleven months left before June! :p

Scheherazade
07-01-2007, 05:17 PM
Just a small test to see who is paying attention! :p

Congrats Pensive. Here is a cookie for you:

http://artfiles.art.com/images/-/Peter-Johansky/Chocolate-Chip-Cookie-on-White-Background-Photographic-Print-C12005484.jpeg

motherhubbard
07-01-2007, 05:52 PM
I wish I had said something, that cookie looks good.

Pensive
07-02-2007, 02:54 PM
I wish I had said something, that cookie looks good.

Oh you can share this delicious looking cookie with me! :D

hastalavictoria
07-02-2007, 03:33 PM
I'm glad this was picked over Earnest, because now I can finally force myself to read them. I've been meaning to for about 2 years...

Scheherazade
07-02-2007, 06:30 PM
I wish I had said something, that cookie looks good.:D

No worries; there are plenty to go around:

https://www.lehirollermill.com/comersus/store/catalog/lehimill_1819_2508582.gif

Still waiting for my copy of the stories... Should get it by the end of the week.

Nossa
07-03-2007, 04:51 AM
I started reading The Devoted Friend a while ago...it sorta reminds me of the stuff I used to read when I was still little. But somehow Wilde managed to make it more interesting.
Can't wait for the discussion :D

Dori
07-06-2007, 11:38 PM
I just bought the big Oscar Wilde book that Barnes and Noble published (includes not only the complete short fiction but plays, poems, essays, and the Picture of Dorian Gray). I will be participating :D .

Nossa
07-07-2007, 07:08 AM
I just bought the big Oscar Wilde book that Barnes and Noble published (includes not only the complete short fiction but plays, poems, essays, and the Picture of Dorian Gray). I will be participating :D .

WOW!! I've been looking for a book like this FOREVER. I don't have Barnes and Noble here though, but can you tell me what is its name? Maybe I can find it in Virgin store or somewhere else!

Dori
07-07-2007, 06:02 PM
The name is Oscar Wilde: Collected Works: Complete and Unabridged.

It is a hardcover with a picture at the top, Oscar Wilde under it, Complete and Unabridged under that, and at the bottom of the cover it lists a few of the works included (it's orange/yellow at the bottom). I can't find it anywhere on the internet. Strangely enough, it's not even on barnesandnoble.com.

Nossa
07-08-2007, 04:58 AM
Thank you for describing it to me. I'll check out the bookshops we have here, maybe I'll be lucky and find the Barnes and Noble edition. Thank you again :D

Night Closet
07-08-2007, 06:50 PM
hay nosa if you find it ........please send it to me after reading it
......................LOL

Pensive
07-09-2007, 06:25 AM
Are we going to discuss these one by one? Wouldn't it be easier that way?

Dori
07-09-2007, 11:19 AM
I've read The Happy Prince, The Nightingale and the Rose, The Selfish Giant, and The Devoted Friend so far. Can we start with those?

_Shannon_
07-09-2007, 06:38 PM
Today I've read "Lord Arthur Savile's Crime", "The Sphinx Without a Secret", and "The Canterville Ghost".

"Lord Arthur..." was interesting becuase I just reread Appointment in Samarra a couple weeks ago. "The Sphinx" seemed really pointless to me. "The Canterville Ghost" was curious- I thought for most of it that it was supposed to just be a alark, but it turned out to be serious.

It is interesting coming back to Wilde after so long --it's been approaching 20 years since I read him last. I was afraid I might find him annoyingly clever- but I am not finding his style high handed.

_Shannon_
07-10-2007, 09:04 AM
I've read The Happy Prince, The Nightingale and the Rose, The Selfish Giant, and The Devoted Friend so far. Can we start with those?

I have now read those, too- so can discuss :)

"The Happy Prince" is a great story, despite it's sentimentality. I find it rather curious the choices the Prince makes for those who he decides to help. I wonder why those were chosen-certainly there were some in more desperate situations?? Do you think Mr. Wilde was deliberate in his choices so as social commentary??

Janine
07-10-2007, 03:34 PM
Hi everyone, I would join this discussion because I adore Oscar Wilde's work, but how are you planning to discuss all of these in one short month? In fact it is already the 10th of July and there is a lot of material here to discuss. I read all of the 'fairytales'/short tales years back and just one, for instance, "The Selfish Giant" is a complex story with much symbolism.
These stories are all great. I just can't fathom how we can discuss them all in one month's time - what will be the plan - starting at the first one listed?

Nossa
07-11-2007, 03:56 AM
I finished The Devoted Friend, and started reading The Happy Prince...
I'm gonna finish at least the first four today...and I'm in for any discussion.

Janine
07-13-2007, 02:57 PM
Read "The Devoted Friend" today - marvelous! I will read the other three tonight (really reviewing - have read before years ago). I am in for the discussion, too. I've read "The Selfish Giant" many times - it is my favorite! They are short and great fun to read!

Pensive
07-18-2007, 05:16 AM
I have completed reading the following yet:

-The Happy Prince
-The Nightingale and the Rose
-The Selfish Giant
-The Remarkable Rocket

All are very well-written but my favourite is The Happy Prince, then The Selfish Giant, and then The Nightingale and the Rose and in the last, The Remarkable Rocket though it was also good.

When I read the Happy Prince and The Selfish Giant, I realised I had already read them in Urdu when little, but it was interesting to try them in English as well! :)

chasestalling
07-18-2007, 08:30 AM
such a funny sounding, urdu, it makes me tickle within.

Pensive
07-18-2007, 09:06 AM
such a funny sounding, urdu, it makes me tickle within.

Well, to me it doesn't sound funny at all, perhaps because I am used to hearing this word. But I have this class fellow who has lived in Dubai for sometime and the way she pronounced it at first she came here seemed funny to me. You know the 'd' in 'Urdu' here is not pronounced like 'd'. It's a letter which is not in English language so I can't really tell how it's pronounced. So it does sound weird in English accent but in Urdu accent it does not.

Janine
07-20-2007, 01:38 AM
Hi Pensive, glad you see you on here and having read all four stories already. I read one recently, but read all of them years ago, so I had better get reading and catch up to everyone. I want to be in the discussion or at least as an observer this time around.

P, posted a new short story today in L thread. Hope you can join in.

Interesting about the d in 'Urdu' and how it is not English and therefore unable to describe how it is said. I would be a lost cause with foreign languages. I just don't have a talent or ear for them unfortunately. I give you mulitlingual people so much credit. It must not be easy.

Janine
07-23-2007, 06:03 PM
Which ones will we be discussing first? This thread seems to have stopped or slowed up. If I knew which stories were to be discussed, I would read them tonight. Help! I am confused.:confused:

Pensive
07-24-2007, 11:04 AM
I have read all by now except The Devoted Friend, The Fisherman and His Soul, Lord Savile's Crime and The Canterville Ghost. I haven't been able to read the last two because they do not seem to be available online.

I think I have liked The Birthday of Infanta the best yet! Very touching and witty! Wilde has a great telling-tale style.

Although she was a real Princess, and the Infanta of Spain, she had only one birthday every year, just like the children of quite poor people...

Janine
07-24-2007, 03:27 PM
I have read all by now except The Devoted Friend, The Fisherman and His Soul, Lord Savile's Crime and The Canterville Ghost. I haven't been able to read the last two because they do not seem to be available online.

I think I have liked The Birthday of Infanta the best yet! Very touching and witty! Wilde has a great telling-tale style.

Pensive, you are confusing me now. In your earlier post you said you read:

-The Happy Prince
-The Selfish Giant
-The Remarkable Rocket

So funny, only one I read, so far, was "The Devoted Friend", but I can catch up quickly to these four you listed directly above: "The Happy Prince,... etc." if you want to begin with them first? Can read them tonight.

Pensive
07-24-2007, 05:23 PM
Pensive, you are confusing me now. In your earlier post you said you read:

-The Happy Prince
-The Selfish Giant
-The Remarkable Rocket

So funny, only one I read, so far, was "The Devoted Friend", but I can catch up quickly to these four you listed directly above: "The Happy Prince,... etc." if you want to begin with them first? Can read them tonight.

I don't see what's confusing about it. Actually last time when I posted I had read these four stories but this time when I posted I had completed all stories except the ones mentioned in this post. :)

Janine
07-24-2007, 11:41 PM
I don't see what's confusing about it. Actually last time when I posted I had read these four stories but this time when I posted I had completed all stories except the ones mentioned in this post. :)

You're right, Pensive, so sorry. It is just me; I was having a confused day. Now I did not get the stories read. I hope to read a few tonight, but still not sure I will catch up to you. I see you did read a number of them so far.

Anyway, when do you expect to start discussing them and which ones will you start with? That should have been my question. Sorry again -- I have brain overload!:eek:

Janine
07-25-2007, 03:00 PM
Pensive and everyone else,

Hi, I am back again. Here is an update, I have now read 4 of the stories:

The Happy Prince
The Nightingale and the Rose
The Selfish Giant
The Devoted Friend

And I am in the middle of reading:

The Remarkable Rocket

If you or anyone wishes to start discussing any of these or all 4, 5, I will be happy to join in. I found them all so delightful to read and enjoyed every moment. I still love "The Selfish Giant" best, but I am enjoying "The Remarkable Rocket" and laughing at the subtle humor in every paragraph. I love the idea - it is so creative - of the fireworks talking to each other. I loved the symbolism and the imagery in every one of the stories. Wilde was a genius and a wonderfully witty author.