PDA

View Full Version : Charles Dickens bores me. Is that normal?

BigL90
06-28-2007, 10:20 AM
I just find his books uninteresting, perhaps I am an anomaly, or does anyone else agree?

Mortis Anarchy
06-28-2007, 09:38 PM
Do you find them boring or interesting? I'm confused your thread title says boring but then you say interesting!?

BigL90
06-29-2007, 07:07 AM
Sorry, meant to say uninteresting, fixed it now though!

There just isn't enough to keep me excited in his books, and i'm wondering am i the only one?

kilted exile
06-29-2007, 08:50 AM
What exactly is it about his books that you dislike?

BigL90
06-29-2007, 12:12 PM
I began reading david Copperfield, which I was told was one of his greatest works. I just found that the descriptions were tedious and log-winded. After 100 pages or so, I just couldn't go on. i didn't care about what happened to the main character; the plot failed to grab my attention and keep it.

And now to fans of Dickens i propose the opposite question: What is it about Dickens that you like?

manolia
06-29-2007, 12:13 PM
And now to fans of Dickens i propose the opposite question: What is it about Dickens that you like?

Everything ;)
Mostly his sense of humour

kilted exile
06-29-2007, 02:00 PM
Everything ;)
Mostly his sense of humour

Agree completely Dickens wit & irony is brilliant, together with his character development - The majority of the memorable characters in literature from me come from Dickens, especially his villians which are so expertly created that you end up kind of liking them as well. This is of course ignoring his ability as a storyteller

100 pges of David Copperfield isnt really enough to get a taste of Dickens, most of the great writiing in that novel comes later.

Bakiryu
06-29-2007, 02:13 PM
I just find his books uninteresting, perhaps I am an anomaly, or does anyone else agree?

I was required to read Great Expectations for school, I just got up to chapter 6 and was so bored I threw the book out of the window. I don't like Dickens.

Weisinheimer
09-28-2007, 03:23 PM
I thought Great Expectations was pretty boring, but I absolutely loved A Tale of Two Cities. Those are the only Dickens books I've read, so I can't really tell if I like him or not til I read some more of his.

Nossa
09-28-2007, 03:30 PM
I'm not a big fan of Charles Dickens, after Great Expectations and David Copperfield, lets say that I'm SO not looking forward to my novel course this term, cuz it includes Hard Times.

Bakiryu
09-28-2007, 03:42 PM
There are just some books you really want to set aflame

kari
10-17-2007, 02:47 PM
I am surprised that so many people comment about Dickens' long descriptions for things...I love that in an author. I think the more description, the more I feel like I am there and can really see what is going on. I have yet to read more of Dickens other than Great Expectations, but I loved that book. It took me a long while, and many times starting the book before I actually caught on and couldn't put it down. I would suggest not to set any of them aflame yet! You might be surprised one day, picking up one of those much disliked books...find yourself in a different mood, different time in your life, and end up loving a book you thought was horrible. Looking back, I would regret if I had tossed out Great Expectations after trying to read it many times throughout the span of a couple of years. Because now, I view it as one of my favorite books.

AuntShecky
10-18-2007, 10:12 AM
Don't think so, but if he were to become reincarnated, he would undoubtedly return the favor -- i.e., bored to tears by us!

kat.
05-22-2008, 06:34 PM
In general I am not a great fan of the naturalism and the loooong and chewinggumlike descriptions....
I just reread Oliver Twist for the second time and it's nothing but depressing me.....after 10 pages I feel like cutting my veines just to not have to continue reading this book...although i admitt it might have some aestethic value...
maybe it's just a thing of taste...
have fun :banana:

a703019214
05-25-2008, 07:06 PM

Something bores us only when we are not able to understand it or when we find it Boring ! By saying so , I mean, Start reading one of his books or even a short piece of his great works and try to understand the basic principles of his writing.I am sure, his authentic description and virtual characterization in his Novels would certainly create a different impression in your Mind !!

Happy reading !
Sekhar:thumbs_up :)
[email protected]

kat.
05-26-2008, 04:58 AM
Something bores us only when we are not able to understand it or when we find it Boring ! By saying so , I mean, Start reading one of his books or even a short piece of his great works and try to understand the basic principles of his writing.I am sure, his authentic description and virtual characterization in his Novels would certainly create a different impression in your Mind !!

Happy reading !
Sekhar:thumbs_up :)
[email protected]

Come on....it's not about the understanding....it's about the naturalistic style....there are people that like it....and there are people that get bored by the slowliness this style puts onto the novel...
And I hate his comments.....in OLiver Twist he's doing it all the time....he comments the action taking place more or less explaining the irony of the situation...only that ...well I guess everbody would have understood it without his comments....and I am getting annoyed by that.....
however, it's not because we don't understand Dickens....I think I understand naturalism and dickens quite well....t's only that we don't like his style...
have a nice day :banana:

Mopey Droney
12-17-2008, 11:31 PM
I would consider Oliver Twist second tier blah Dickens, as I would with most of his pre-Dombey and Son books, though keep in mind that in my view second-tier Dickens is still upper-tier Literature. To the point, Bleak House is my favorite, though I am just now reading Great Expectations which may usurp it.
The reason I love Dickens: The way he sculpts his sentences so full of life, how his humor pops and sizzles and zings on the page, and the way he plots his plots tightly.
Most importantly, it is his moral attitude. As George Orwell wrote: "It seems that in every attack Dickens makes upon society he is always pointing to a change of spirit rather than a change of structure. It is hopeless to try and pin him down to any definite remedy, still more to any political doctrine. His approach is always along the moral plane [...] Useless to change institutions without a 'change of heart' — that, essentially, is what he is always saying."
Very good. :)

Reread
01-01-2009, 01:06 AM
No, i completely understand. I just recently tried to read his book, Nicholas Nickleby and ended up skimming through most of his highly detailed descriptions. In the end I gave up and just watched the BBC movie.:lol:

Lynne Fees
03-04-2009, 02:56 PM
We live in an ADD society. The descriptions in Dickens were written for people with no TV, no movies. If you can somehow get quiet and get rid of distractions, try to really get into it for an hour. If it doesn't work, remember, everyone has his or her own opinions.