PDA

View Full Version : Why and what is "D------?"

honesttradesman
06-26-2007, 09:49 PM
I just started this novel. Why is the name of the city the bishop resides in only referred to as "D------?" What is the name of the city supposed to be?

bibliophile190
06-26-2007, 11:00 PM
Personally, I haven't read Les Miserables, but I have read a lot of books where authors do the same thing. Often, they don't want to name a real city/village, so that they can describe it the way they want, or they just make up a place, it's probably not intended to be a real area.

honesttradesman
06-27-2007, 01:17 AM
Thank you. You're on the right track, it sounds.

Personally, I haven't read Les Miserables, but I have read a lot of books where authors do the same thing. Often, they don't want to name a real city/village, so that they can describe it the way they want, or they just make up a place, it's probably not intended to be a real area.

robertpool
07-01-2007, 11:00 AM
Most "experts" on Hugo agree that "D.." is Digne-les-Bains, a town in the French Alps.

Javert
07-12-2007, 09:58 PM
In Russian translations the town is also called "Digne".

wtwt5237
07-16-2007, 09:35 AM
Also in English translations

kiki1982
07-16-2007, 05:40 PM
I read it in French and it says Digne just in the book. The character was also based on a real bishop of Digne as it seems.

GodsGadfly
09-18-2007, 06:44 PM
Actually, the character was based upon St. Jean-Marie Vianney, the "Cure d'Ars," who was kind of like the 19th Century's equivalent of Padre Pio. He was assigned a kind of a backwoods parish because he was considered rather dull-witted. He lived a very austere life and was extremely generous to the poor. He also had the gift of reading souls. He spent most of his time in the confessional. People would flock to him from all over Europe to go to Confession to him.

One time, a famous actress came to Ars to meet him. He stopped several feet away from her, and said something to the effect of, "Madame, please step back. The stench of your soul is so horrid I must vomit."

AngelofPhantoms
12-30-2007, 01:07 PM
I know what you're talking about. When i had one book it had D--- and M---sur M----, but I bought my own personal copy from Signet Publications and it had Digne and Montreuil sur Mer.