PDA

View Full Version : Translations (to English)

mezirka
06-21-2007, 11:36 PM
Any comments or recommendations?

I've downloaded the Fictionwise audiobook from my public library, to play on my mp3 player and they don't tell which translation it is. Anybody know?

Shya
06-29-2008, 08:08 AM
Well, the version I read is the only complete and unabridged paperback edition available, and it's pretty good. I've taken a look at some other translations and by far this is the best. It's the only unabridged paperback edition available, so it shouldn't be too hard to find. It is a Signet classic. Some good points of this translation:

1) All the poetry in the book is left in it's original French version, but there is always a full English translation on the same page, as a note. That way, you can still appreciate the rythm of the words in French... because poetry is about sounds as well as meaning. Also, the translated poems even rhyme when they have to, and still manage to mean the same thing.

2) The English in this book is more updated and more modern, so it's easier to read than most translations, though you still don't miss anything.

3) It's only $7.95 and you can find it in most book stores!

So check this book out if you haven't. It's awesome!!!

TheGrandMoose
07-22-2008, 08:38 PM
The one I read was Norman Denny's translation, found in the Penguin Classics edition. I didn't find out until later (I guess it pays to read the Penguin Classics introductions first!) that it was abridged - if only very lightly. Personally I thought it was really great, but I'll check out the one suggested by Shya.