PDA

View Full Version : Violence in Tess of the D'Urbervilles

DGolfer40
06-18-2007, 02:39 PM
Hi I have to write an essay about an act of violence in the novel. The essay topic is... In great works of literature no scene of violence exists for its own sake. Choose a scene of violence from the novel and explain how the scene contributes to the meaning of the complete work...

Any help or suggestions on how Alec d'Urberville's murder contributes to the overall meaning would be greatly appreciated.

What is the meaning of Tess of the D'Urbervilles

lizzy87
07-08-2007, 08:30 AM
Well, I would have interpreted 'an act of violence' to be the rape of Tess by Alec D' urberville.
It has a greater significance on the whole novel than ( in my opinion) the murder of Alec. The murder of alec was simply a route to tess's execution, which was, according to Hardy, her fate.

Good luck!

wtwt5237
07-11-2007, 09:34 AM
And you don't mention the execution of Tess. Although Hardy doesn't write much about it, I still feel it kind of unique. When I began to read the novel I had thought it would have a Prince-Princess happy end, however, it turned out to be a sad one. And the heroine being executed who, at least, had once been a pure maid is not commonly seen in the novels. We all know execution is a shameful practice for villains, but why did Hardy put Tess into such a condemned fate? In fact I sympathize with Tess.

Luna1968
10-25-2007, 10:56 AM
In relation to the murder of Alec, it is certainly forshaddowed earlier in the novel. Tess hits him with her glove while working at Flintcomb Ash. She inadvertantly kills the horse at the beginning of the novel, while in a similar out of body type state. She puts the birds mercifully out of their misery while hiding in the leaves. And, Angel tells her after they are married, that if only her first "husband" had been dead or out of England, they could be happy.