PDA

View Full Version : Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett

lemon
06-16-2007, 01:13 AM
Which is the paragraph that has love in the story? Some people said it was the part that cured Colin. Which chapter is it?

Sindhu
06-16-2007, 01:44 AM
Which is the paragraph that has love in the story? Some people said it was the part that cured Colin. Which chapter is it?

Puzzling question- Do you mean the WORD "Love"- as that is there in quite a few chapters or are you referring to the feeling? Which again , I suppose, occurs more than once!

Logos
06-16-2007, 08:03 AM
From http://www.online-literature.com/burnett/secretgarden/ :)

Ch. 2:
"Mary had liked to look at her mother from a distance and she had thought her very pretty, but as she knew very little of her she could scarcely have been expected to love her or to miss her very much when she was gone."

Ch. 4:
"Aye, that I do," answered Martha, cheerfully polishing away at the grate. "I just love it. It's none bare. ....

"But for th' garden he wouldn't be like he is. It was Mrs. Craven's garden that she had made when first they were married an' she just loved it, an' they used to 'tend the flowers themselves." ....

"Pick the prettiest ones and easy to grow because she has never done it before and lived in India which is different. Give my love to mother and every one of you." ....

Ch. 10:
"Well, yes, I do. I was learned that by a young lady I was gardener to. She had a lot in a place she was fond of, an' she loved 'em like they was children--or robins." ....

Ch. 12:
"Mother says he made 'em that color with always lookin' up at th' birds an' th' clouds. But he has got a big mouth, hasn't he, now?"
"I love his big mouth," said Mary obstinately. "I wish
mine were just like it." ....

"You can have as much earth as you want," he said. "You remind me of some one else who loved the earth and things that grow. When you see a bit of earth you want," with something like a smile, "take it, child, and make it come alive." ....

Ch. 18:
"When he was very much interested he often spoke quite broad Yorkshire though at other times he tried to modify his dialect so that Mary could better understand. But she loved his broad Yorkshire and had in fact been
trying to learn to speak it herself. So she spoke a little now.

Ch. 20:
"And the sun fell warm upon his face like a hand with a lovely touch. And in wonder Mary and Dickon stood and stared at him. He looked so strange and different because a pink glow of color had actually crept all over him--ivory face and neck and hands and all.

"I shall get well! I shall get well!" he cried out. "Mary! Dickon! I shall get well! And I shall live forever and ever and ever!"" ....

Ch. 23:
""She was main fond o' them--she was," Ben Weatherstaff said. "She liked them things as was allus pointin' up to th' blue sky, she used to tell. Not as she was one o' them as looked down on th' earth--not her. She just loved it but she said as th' blue sky allus looked so joyful."" ....

Ch. 24:
"When she found a moment to spare she liked to go out and talk to him. After supper there was still a long clear twilight to work in and that was her quiet time. She could sit upon the low rough wall and look on and hear stories of the day. She loved this time." ....

Ch. 27:
"As the golden summer changed into the deep golden autumn he went to the Lake of Como. There he found the loveliness of a dream." ....