PDA

View Full Version : "The Soundtracks of Our Lives..."

Scharphedin2
06-11-2007, 04:47 PM
As a new member here, I was reading through various threads last night, and I happened upon the one, where forum members single out their least favorite day of the week, and why. Needless to say, we cannot afford to really have "bad" days of the week, can we!? We have too few days, as it is. However, I do confess that Monday mornings hurt... the beginning of the work week means very little time during the next four days to do all the things in life that really matter (reading amongst them).

In the last couple of years, I have found that the antidote to a really horrible Monday morning is to compose a really great playlist for my iPod during the weekend. Having a really great list of songs to wake up to in the morning, makes it easier for me to get out of bed and on the road (and, I do spend a lot of time travelling, both to and from work, and in the course of my work).

A few months ago, i discovered the Internet Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org), which contains thousands of live concerts with all kinds of bands and musicians. It has been a lot of fun downloading a whole slew of concerts by bands that I like, and then compose a "best of" playlist of songs from various concerts -- sometimes spanning as much as a decade or more in the history of band's life.

This past Friday, on the other hand, I made a visit to a vinyl/CD store run by an old acquaintance of mine. His store is always painfully well stocked, and I always come away with a huge stack of music. Below, I have listed my soundtrack for the week (based on the purchases of this past Friday). I am losing track of labels to denote the different kinds of music I listen to -- prog rock, in this case?! Maybe some of you can help me out with that, and even suggest a title for the playlist? In that respect I am hopelessly unimaginative, always ending up with something like "Tunes - Week 24", or whatever...

Also, I thought it could be a fun idea for a thread, if other forum members shared their playlists... I am sure that I am not the only one that has chanced upon this effective cure for the Monday, Thursday or Sunday blues. Or, if not specifically composed for this purpose, maybe simply playlists that you have on your iPods that rock your world, and provide you with the underlying themes for meeting the world with the right attitude!

Scharphedin's Playlist for the Week of June 11th - 17th:

Rachel's -- "Systems/Layers"
Do Make Say Think -- "A With Living"
Calexico -- "Deep Down"
Calexico -- "All Systems Red"
Low -- "Dragonfly"
Low -- "Sandanista"
Piano Magic -- "England's Always Better (As You're Pulling Away)
Piano Magic -- "The Last Engineer"
Explosions In the Sky -- "Welcome Ghosts"
Explosions In the Sky -- "The Only Moment We Were Alone"
Red Sparowes -- "Buildings Began To Stretch Wide Across The Sky, And The Air Filled With A Reddish Glow"
Neurosis -- "Burn"
Sun O))) & Boris -- "Etna"