PDA

View Full Version : The Works of Mikhail Artzibashev

Scharphedin2
06-08-2007, 06:29 PM
I was surprised to see (what I thought was a thread) for Artzibashev in this forum, and decided to join in order mainly to learn from, and possibly participate in, the discussion of his works. However, after having set up my account, I realized that there is no discussion of this author taking place, but his novel Sanine is available online.

My interest in this particular author was initiated by a reference to a book of his entitled The Last Line. When I looked around for his books, I learned that they were long out of print, and only through a couple of different used book sellers, whom I tracked down after quite a bit of sleuth work and other adventures, did I eventually manage to find Sanine (in a very nice old American edition from 1932), and a collection of novellas. Unfortunately, I never managed to find The Last Line, unless it is an alternate title for one of the works that I already own. Having read the books I did manage to find, I moved on to other authors, and really have only occasionally thought about Artzibasheff since.

Although it has been a long time, since I read Artzibasheff's books, and my memory of them is probably too sketchy to involve in very detailed discussion, I am nonetheless curious to hear if anyone else has read anything by him, and if so, to read other forum members' thoughts and opinions of this rather strange and elusive Russian author. If someone can solve the riddle of "The Last Line," that of course would also be a joy to me.

Mr Hyde
09-29-2008, 12:31 PM
I've just ordered the book Sanin. Can't wait to read it.

Has anybody else read the book? Is it enjoyable?

Lady Otter
07-23-2009, 02:48 PM
Hmm, as a reply to an old thread, this may be the book you're looking for: У Последней Черты, which, according to online dictionary, multitran, translates as "at the end of (one's) rope." Unfortunately, it's only in Russian, as far as I can see. Anyone who knows more Russian than I do, please feel free to correct me!