PDA

View Full Version : searching for an o henry story

silver14
06-04-2007, 12:13 PM
Hi i am new to this forum but am i glad to be here. i have been searching for what i think is an o henry story. The details in my head are a little fuzzy but here goes: A guy, on the eve of his marriage of convenience remembers his meeting with some village girl in some mountainous region. (could have been the alps.) They stare at each other and from a distance she throws some flower at him. It was pinned to her dress. The twist was that the bride to be remembers the same story as it was her on a holiday. i am 90% sure it was o henry. Any help is appreciated.

thanks

kiz_paws
06-07-2007, 03:21 PM
Hi there silver14, welcome to LitNet. I have a book with 41 Short Stories by O.Henry (which I have shelved after reading half). Nonetheless, I will peruse my book and see if there is a short story such as the one you have described. I'll get back to you, kay?

silver14
06-10-2007, 11:52 PM
thank you. i hope you can find it. its driving me crazy.

Logos
06-11-2007, 07:53 AM
silver, there is a huge collection of O Henry's short stories on the site here :)
http://www.online-literature.com/o_henry/

There is a Search function. From his biography page you can search all of his works by key word such as 'mountain' or 'girl' or 'flower' etc. and that will show you where they occur and the link to it.

Of course the more unique the word the better, say if you could remember the specific type of flower? rose? daffodil? or anything else a little more specific about the story, that makes searching much easier. Or you can search a specific story by word too when you click on that story's link. Hope that helps a bit.

kiz_paws
06-14-2007, 01:02 AM
Just an update, Silver ... so far, this story is not in my collection... But that twist certainly sounds like an O.Henry trademark twist! If you get an answer to your quest, be sure to post to fill us in. I will continue with my book... :)

Poppa Chubby
08-30-2007, 11:34 PM
It sounds familiar, I'll scan the stories and see what I can find. Gimme a couple days. I've read everything he wrote that is still in books, so I might have some luck.

Nightshade
08-31-2007, 07:10 AM
Hi i am new to this forum but am i glad to be here. i have been searching for what i think is an o henry story. The details in my head are a little fuzzy but here goes: A guy, on the eve of his marriage of convenience remembers his meeting with some village girl in some mountainous region. (could have been the alps.) They stare at each other and from a distance she throws some flower at him. It was pinned to her dress. The twist was that the bride to be remembers the same story as it was her on a holiday. i am 90% sure it was o henry. Any help is appreciated.

thanks

You know I hink Ive read this one and Ive only read a handful I have to find the book though which means digging through boxes so might take a while.

alexsears
10-29-2007, 03:50 PM
dear,nightshade

that story was very helpful when i was doing my online scoole well my online scool is the onloson im here but stil it was really really really helpfull beacause i had a shot summery of a story and a surprise anding and you had both so thanks

sighned,alex
p.s I over did it on the reallys. :D

kanjasaha
02-26-2008, 11:49 AM
The story is "An unknown romance" by O'Henry.