PDA

View Full Version : What is philosophy?

Bii
06-01-2007, 02:21 PM
Having read through many of the threads currently posted in this part of the forum I have come to the conclusion that many of the topics do not constitute philosophy. So, I though it would be worth asking the question:

What is philosophy, and
what does it mean to you?

Discuss?

Lote-Tree
06-01-2007, 02:26 PM
Having read through many of the threads currently posted in this part of the forum I have come to the conclusion that many of the topics do not constitute philosophy. So, I though it would be worth asking the question:

What is philosophy, and

Discuss?

from wiki :

Philosophy is the discipline concerned with the questions of how one should live (ethics); what sorts of things exist and what are their essential natures (metaphysics); what counts as genuine knowledge (epistemology); and what are the correct principles of reasoning (logic).

ulvmane
06-01-2007, 02:29 PM
hmmm i would say that to me philosiphy would be whatever you think. Any ideas that you have that make up who you are become part of your philosophy. Obviously we don't think the same things all the time so everyone's personal philosophy contradicts another persons or part of another persons philosophy and thats why we talk about it.

Bii
06-01-2007, 03:16 PM
from wiki :Philosophy is the discipline concerned with the questions of how one should live (ethics); what sorts of things exist and what are their essential natures (metaphysics); what counts as genuine knowledge (epistemology); and what are the correct principles of reasoning (logic).

So, that tells me what wikipedia thinks (and who knows who wrote that?), but what do you think?

Lote-Tree
06-01-2007, 05:50 PM
So, that tells me what wikipedia thinks (and who knows who wrote that?), but what do you think?

I think What Is Thinking?

Are we our thoughts?

Descarted wrote "I think therefore I am"...What does that mean?

Are we our Thoughts?

SleepyWitch
06-01-2007, 06:27 PM
interesting thread Bii... thanks for bringing that question up... I've got no idea myself what philosophy actually is...
that's a neat definition, Lote (even though wiki is not the most reliable of all sources). I didn't know ethics was part of philosophy...

the only definition of philosophy I've heard before is "seeking the truth".. but I don't like this definition nor the idea behind it, because it's grammatically and semantically incomplete. i.e. the truth about what?

i can imagine what the truth is supposed to be when we talk about concrete things like "the truth about his brother/black holes/the accident/the prime minister's sex scandal" ....

but what's THE TRUTH without ABOUT ... supposed to be? the one entity that can explain everything about everything?
The answer is 42 :)

Bii
06-01-2007, 06:51 PM
I

Descarted wrote "I think therefore I am"...What does that mean?

Descartes famous phrase "I think, therefore I am" (or Cogito ergo sum, in Latin) refers to a specific branch of philosophy which is the philosophy of knowledge or epistomology as it's otherwise know. Decartes set about trying to doubt all that he could 'know' and in the process determined that the only thing he could know for certain was that he existed, as in the act of doubting he proved his existence - i.e. if I doubt I exist, I must exist to doubt, therefore I must exist.

I'm not sure that Descartes specifically is a good example, or explanation of what philosophy is, or deduces any more about what you think about philosophy, but he certainly was an interesting philosopher!

I am impressed at your stamina for avoiding the question. ;)

Mr. Dr. Ralph
06-01-2007, 07:10 PM
Literally means "The love of knowledge."

Lote-Tree
06-02-2007, 02:55 AM
Descartes famous phrase "I think, therefore I am" (or Cogito ergo sum, in Latin) refers to a specific branch of philosophy which is the philosophy of knowledge or epistomology as it's otherwise know. Decartes set about trying to doubt all that he could 'know' and in the process determined that the only thing he could know for certain was that he existed, as in the act of doubting he proved his existence - i.e. if I doubt I exist, I must exist to doubt, therefore I must exist.

Have ever you ever tried meditation?

I am impressed at your stamina for avoiding the question. ;)

on the contrary - we have already engaged in a Philosophical discussion ;-)

Brady10
06-02-2007, 03:51 AM
I believe that philosophy is based on personal theory, rather than truth. Everyone's philosophy is different, which may be one of the reasons that philosophy is sometimes frowned upon by those with strong religious views, although religion often involves philosophy.

That's my philosophy on philosophy.

Lote-Tree
06-02-2007, 04:05 AM
That's my philosophy on philosophy.

Philosophy makes you depressed because it keeps asking questions even when you are satisfied. So Death To Philosophy and Rejoice Rejoice Rejoice :-)

Brady10
06-02-2007, 04:19 AM
Philosophy can make you depressed, unless you enjoy the thought process that is involved with philosophy. I have to say, i'm not always in the philosophical mood, so the questions may make me depressed. Sometimes the opposite is true. Sometimes being depressed puts me in the philosophical mood. It's an interesting process.

Bii
06-02-2007, 06:58 AM
Have ever you ever tried meditation?

Indeed I have. I'm intregued to know what you think meditation adds to the debate?

Lote-Tree
06-02-2007, 11:36 AM
Indeed I have. I'm intregued to know what you think meditation adds to the debate?

Well, in meditation you can reach a point where there are no thoughts. So descartes proof of "self" - I think therefore I am - is turned on it's head :-)

ELizabeth McC
06-02-2007, 12:07 PM
Well, in meditation you can reach a point where there are no thoughts. So descartes proof of "self" - I think therefore I am - is turned on it's head :-)

I'm not thinking therefor I'm not...:banana:

Bii
06-02-2007, 12:13 PM

Actually that's not true. Meditation teaches you to focus on just one thought and thus achieve a type of focus and control over your thoughts, rather than removing them entirely. It's a common misconception.

ELizabeth McC
06-02-2007, 12:20 PM
Actually that's not true. Meditation teaches you to focus on just one thought and thus achieve a type of focus and control over your thoughts, rather than removing them entirely. It's a common misconception.

That's if you're doing it right :idea:

Bii
06-02-2007, 12:28 PM
That's if you're doing it right :idea:

You're absolutely right - it's difficult enough to focus on one thought alone for, oh, 2 seconds, before something else leaps in!

ELizabeth McC
06-02-2007, 12:47 PM
You're absolutely right - it's difficult enough to focus on one thought alone for, oh, 2 seconds, before something else leaps in!

I normally find it an excellent way of finding new things to worry about.... very much not doing it right :(

Lote-Tree
06-02-2007, 04:31 PM

No. Aim of meditation is to achieve a state where no thoughts arise. You focus on a thought - it is the focus point that is all. This focus could be anything from sound of a word to a concept or idea. Once you have achieved focus on this then it too gives way to a thought-less state. That is the aim of meditation...

Bii
06-03-2007, 05:29 AM
No. Aim of meditation is to achieve a state where no thoughts arise. You focus on a thought - it is the focus point that is all. This focus could be anything from sound of a word to a concept or idea. Once you have achieved focus on this then it too gives way to a thought-less state. That is the aim of meditation...

Not according to the buddhist centre where I had my classes!

Lote-Tree
06-03-2007, 07:47 AM
Not according to the buddhist centre where I had my classes!

What you have learnt perhaps is "Mindfullness" meditation which is the first stage in the meditation process in the Buddhist Spiritual Path to "enlightenment". In this perhaps the focus-point would be your breathing. Initially you start counting your in and out breaths and then you learn to become just aware of the the breathing itself. In this there is no thought involved.

There are many different meditation techniques available and most - if not all - use a point-of-focus.

But now we have become off topic by talking about meditation.

Perhaps we can pursue this via PM?

Regards,
Lote.

Bii
06-03-2007, 02:45 PM
Yes, we're completely off topic. PM is a good idea - I'll be in touch.

In case the whole purpose of the thread is lost the original question is below:

What is philosophy, and

Discuss?

jon1jt
06-03-2007, 02:56 PM
philosophy strives to answer the most basic question of human life. that is, "What is the meaning of being?"

Bii
06-03-2007, 03:09 PM
philosophy strives to answer the most basic question of human life. that is, "What is the meaning of being?"

So do science and religion. How is philosophy different?

Turk
06-03-2007, 03:20 PM
Philosophy is the job of smart men who have ugly wives.

NickAdams
06-03-2007, 03:26 PM
I think philosophy is a non-scientific approach for man to try and understand the world, himself and the method itself.

It's continuing the childhood curiosity, which seeks answers from others, with a system of questioning where the answer can be derived from one's own self.

linz
06-04-2007, 08:15 AM
I think the word philosophy is diminishing the mystery of being. After all, many these days simply except the big bang, never considering that perhaps their is an over all definitive root answer which would silence all others thoughts. Meaning in meaninglessness doesn't quite hit the nail on the head anymore, it is to indulgent, and excepting things futile when reason is or means of observation. Perhaps when Christ called us the 'light' of the world, he was referring to our sense of reason, and growing up and excepting the 'bulls and bears' world is destructive to our reasoning.

troubadour
06-10-2007, 11:41 PM
Dear All,

With regard to the question 'what is philosophy,' wiki-p does not have it! The definition, more simply and more expansively has always been 'the love of wisdom,' for the English word 'philosophy' is a translation from (though not directly) Greek. It is composite of 'philo' which means 'love of' and 'sophy' or 'sophia' which means 'wisdom'.

One of the previous posts stated that philosophy meant 'love of knowledge.' Knowledge and wisdom are not the same. This is, to some, a pointless distinction but it is actually very important. Knowledge and wisdom are not synonymous.

'Knowledge,' is the acquisition of information such as mathematical facts or axioms. Wisdom, however, is something more essential, indeed it is ultimately essential! It concerns the source and meaning of Being and thus all beings.

Wisdom is more fundamental and less useful. This is why people say philosophy is useless. They are, in an important way correct - philosophy is not concerned with things or their practical application. Wisdom is the ground of knowlege, the Being of beings. Perhaps for some this Being is obvious, but for philosophers Being seems to be hidden from view, shrouded in mystery.

Love has been defined (by Paul Tillich) as that proper relation to which is of unltimate concern. Thus, for a true lover of wisdom, wisdom it is that ultimate mystery towards which the lover allows himself to be drawn and desires to be harmoniously united. He wants nothing else than this unification and desires nothing else but this and only for its own sake.

Descartes was indeed a very interesting philosopher. However, his desire was not for knowledge per se but for a ground to all knowledge. That ground has to be more essential, more fundamental, than the thing which it grounds. He found it in his being, in his existence in his 'cogito.' Although he came up with a highly problematic thesis, it shows that philosophers are concerned to discover the ground of knowledge which we call wisdom.

This ground is necessarily before ethics, before even epistemology (which merely asks how is it we know) and certainly before science. It is the ground of these things.

Philosophy, in this sense (as love of wisdom), is then utterly distinct from 'philosophizing' as an edifying, enjoyable or sometimes frustrating diversion. To assert that philosophy is unsceintific is to put the cart before the horse. To admit it is impractical is to free it from anything but the pursiut of truth for its own sake.

Regards,

Troubadour.

NikolaiI
06-11-2007, 08:57 AM
I don't know if this will come up for you, but the first chapter of this book is titled "What is Philosophy?". The book is "Way To Wisdom", by Karl Jaspers, a German philosopher.

http://books.google.com/books?id=IfAgyKFpWaEC&pg=PP1&ots=CUhfw7rGA5&dq=jaspers&sig=5RU0DfC_IOM4aQuxtHfQaVPFUmQ#PPP1,M1

troubadour
06-11-2007, 09:51 AM
Thnaks for the heads up on Karl Jaspers' book. I am familiar with the name but have not read anything. 'Way to Wisdom' is now on my to read list.

Bii
06-11-2007, 02:48 PM
Troubadour - what an excellent answer!

troubadour
06-12-2007, 09:00 AM
no wories, it's was a great question..
after reading some good Heidegger and Plato recently, it was a joy to answer.

troubadour
06-17-2007, 12:34 PM
although I certainly haven't done them justice in my 'answering'//

Midas
06-17-2007, 03:06 PM
Philosophy is the practice of attempting to find the most conclusive answers to the most inconclusive questions. It has engaged the mind of man/woman since they first applied mind to pondering beyond basic survival communication, and started to question existence, and all that it pertains.

And it continues in the present, as it surely will in the future. Because, if for no other reason, we all like to add our own slant on things and find a different way of saying the same thing, or arriving at the same conclusion without acknowledging it has been said before. Just as I am doing here.

Its main usefulness, it seems, is in providing a plethora of great quotes with which to flower one's writing, or oral arguments, and therefore, sound erudite.

What really touches me is the simplicity of life when stated philosophically, for example:-

"Be what you would seem to be - or, if you'd like it put more simply - never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise. "
(Lewis Carroll}

Midas

blazeofglory
09-06-2008, 08:49 PM
Philosophy is a mirror to see the world through. We want interpretations and interpreters to tell us what the world is and we want to see the world through someone's view and here comes why need philosophy.

We are blind see the world on our own as a matter of fact. The world is really an amazing place but we have no means to see it, our eyes, but to see it through someone's eyes and that is what we call philosophic. A borrowed eye helps us to see the world, for our eyes are blindfolded.