PDA

View Full Version : question

maudogente22
05-28-2007, 09:11 PM
Why would Brutus let Antony speak at Caesar's funeral?

ale
06-22-2007, 03:35 PM
Well, I don't know if there's a right answer to that. We might do some guesswork. For instance,
- his so used to being admired and revered by everyone that he cannot even imagine that Antony would go against him
- or, rather, since Brutus takes honour above everything else, he might think that other would do the same. Thus, since Antony has given his word not to abuse the conspirators, Brutus blindly trusts in him
- another possibility is that Brutus is too self-confident. He's sure his own speech will convince the people of Rome, and that there's nothing Antony could do to change their minds. In his speech, Brutus appealed to their power of reasoning, so he leaves the stage convinced that the assassination has been rightly justified.

anyhow, it is an act of blindness. he disregards Cassius' advice (as always in the play) and does not realize that the people have not fully grasped his words (after all, right after Brutus' speech, a plebeian said 'let him be Caesar')

byquist
06-27-2007, 09:10 PM
Agree that there is no one answer, but Brutus is into honor (Cassius advises him against it), fair play; he may underestimate Antony's speaking abilities, he may be overconfident about his own speaking abilities; I believe he has been told that Antony will not mention his name or something like that - makes him feel it's okay; he may think that the citizens will think rationally rather than be subject to emotions; this may be an instance of one of his blind spots - a slight stupidity; he may be an idealist in that he thinks everything will work out for the good; he may not understand what Antony is about and how devoted Antony was to Caesar.

anglbabe92
01-14-2008, 06:29 PM
because they shook hands even after Brutus washed his hands in Caesar's blood. by shaking his hand Antony was saying i agree with you or i want to join you because he got some blood on his hand. Brutus thought that he could trust Antony but he was wrong. i'm not sure if this is right but that is what i think.

tahtah for now
:wave:

Cassius
01-26-2008, 06:18 PM
I agree with the theories posted above. One suggestion I would like to add is that Brutus may actually have believed that it would be politically beneficial to allow Antony to speak. When Cassius expresses his concerns, Brutus responds that allowing Antony to speak will show that the conspirators "are contented Caesar shall have all true rights and lawful ceremonies." He then comments that "it shall advantage more than do us wrong." Brutus seems convinced that allowing Antony to live and speak at Caesar's funeral will convince the people that the conspirators acted morally, reasonably and honorably and they should be lauded as heroes.