PDA

View Full Version : Desert Island Essentials

Haven
05-25-2007, 05:34 PM
You are stranded on a desert island. You are all alone. Even 'Friday' isn't going to show...:lol:
[Admit I'm pinching the idea from BBC Radio 4, but it deviates from their norm].
You are allowed to take the following, so name the item and say why it is a must for your survival on the island:

1. You can only take one book. Give title [and synopsis if you like]. Say why.
2. You can only take one film. Give title [and synopsis if you like]. Say why.
3. You can only take one piece of music [an entire opera or cd by favourite musician/s]. Give title [and synopsis if you like]. Say why.
4. You can take one piece of art or a photograph or an image. Give title if appropriate [and synopsis if you like]. Say why this is important to you.
5. You can take only one luxury item, what would it be? Say why.
6. You can only take one item of indulgent food. What is it and what does it mean to you?
7. There is one final item that you can take that is specific only to you and your needs. What is it? And say why.

Haven
05-25-2007, 05:39 PM
I know I haven't given answers to my questions, but I will answer, need a little time to work out what my desert island needs will be. Think I'm going to be there for a while, so I'd better get it right.

motherhubbard
05-25-2007, 06:13 PM
1. The Bible because I am a firm believer and never tire of reading God’s inspired word.

2. Tough one…I was going to say Pride and prejudice, but I have to go with It’s a Wonderful Life because I’m in love with George Bailey. In fact I named my first child Bailey

3. I’m guessing I can’t make my own personal mix on this one so I’m going to say Vivaldi’s Four Seasons. I’ve been listening today and I do love it and never tire of it.

4. I would have to say Rembrandt’s Holy Family. The lighting is so beautiful and the mother is nursing her baby while the family is nearby.

5. Luxury item…how about the computer so that I can keep up with lit-net!

6. Hot herbal tea with honey. It doesn’t mean anything, but I really enjoy a cup

7. I don’t have a lot of needs, I’m satisfied regardless so I guess I’ll say toilet paper and I don’t think that needs an explanation.

Haven
05-25-2007, 06:18 PM
lol: No.7

And I think the computer is a bit of a long shot. Very big battery??? Or just plug into that palm tree...

kilted exile
05-25-2007, 06:27 PM
1)Hard Times by Dickens - quite simply because it may just be the greatest book ever written.

2)On the waterfront - I never tire of watching this, something which may be important if I'm stranded

3) One from the modern by the wonderful Ocean Colour Scene - if you listened to this album you wouldnt need an explanation. To me it has everything.

4) The Scream by Munch - my favourite painting (not a fan of art in general really - too high brow for me)

5) Rugby Ball - years of fun and enjoyment to be had there.

6) Sushi - I love sushi and would quite happily eat it everyday anyway, now is my chance

7)The sand filter I built at college - To remove some of the impurities from the water, and it actually works so I'm kinda proud of it.

Haven
05-25-2007, 07:48 PM
"you put your left foot in, you put your left foot out. You do the Hokey Cokey and turn around. Oh, hokey, hokey cokey".

kathycf
05-26-2007, 01:47 AM
... need a little time to work out what my desert island needs will be. Think I'm going to be there for a while, so I'd better get it right.
I am going to have to think about this one....I would probably be quite lost without my computer. :lol:

Haven
05-26-2007, 10:45 AM
1. The Book: Would like to say Neal Stephenson's, Baroque Cycle [but that is 3 books], so will go for Vol 2 The Confusion. Why, because it has everthing that I would be lacking on that island i.e. high adventure, political intrigue, scientific invention, oh, but I suppose the odd pirate might stop by.
2. The Film: Some Like it Hot, Jack Lemon, Marilyn Monroe and Tony Curtis. I love it. Would say my fav. comfort movie.
3. The Music: La Traviata no doubt will be feeling a little hysterical at times during this period of isolation and Violetta's situation might by comparison make me feel better.
4. The Pic/Photo/Image: Okay a photo album of all the people and pets that I have loved.
5. The Luxury Item: A hammock, I hate sleeping on the ground.
6. The food item: A mysterious and regular delivery of a bottle of good unoaked Chardonnay chilled to perfection.
7. Your Item: I think I'll have to have kilted exiles' sand filter, would be mad not to. :D

kilted exile
05-29-2007, 10:35 AM
"you put your left foot in, you put your left foot out. You do the Hokey Cokey and turn around. Oh, hokey, hokey cokey".

7. Your Item: I think I'll have to have kilted exiles' sand filter, would be mad not to. :D

The sig I stole from a coaster which I was given 'cept they call it the hokey pokey over here - something which to me has a completely different connotation ;)

Yes, it would be mad not to have my sand filter. I still have to fit a pump to it however.

SleepyWitch
05-29-2007, 10:52 AM
i could never make up my mind about the films, books, pics etc...
so I'd just take my computer with all my favourite and not so favourite music, films, and books saved on it :D
---> luxury item = computer
seriously, if I were stranded on a desert island, I'd prefer a tent; a big fat Swiss army knife complete with a saw, sissors and a torch; waterproof matches; a sleeping bag; lots of toilet paper; a pot, a pan, a cup, a bottle, various cutlery items

hehehe, I've just returned from a Red Cross camp where I looked after stupid brats who don't even know how to wipe their ****, so my priorities are on the practical side at the moment :):D

manolia
05-29-2007, 11:11 AM
1. Lord of the rings. (Nobody needs a synopsis for this book ;) )
2. Only one film? (That's cruel). I'd take "Lost Highway" by David Lynch. After ten years or more on the said island and having watched the film MANY times i am sure that i'd figure it out EVENTUALLY.
3. Ehhmm..to play it with what on a desert island? Nevermind..I'd take "Draconian Times" by Paradise Lost (my fav all time record)
4. A foto of my family. (I am sure i am gonna miss my dad)
5. My tent (it would be like an endless camping experience)..although i admit that another thought crossed my mind as well..you know all these endless LONELY nights :lol: :lol:
6. Food? Bah! I'd take coffee.
7. My contact lenses (i wouldn't wear glasses even on a desert island ;) )

GrayFoxDown
05-29-2007, 01:13 PM
1) DAVID COPPERFIELD-- My childhood to adulthood favorite and source of many of my ideas and similar confusions; it's also one of the greatest novels by one of the greatest writers of all time.

2) 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY--Not the greatest or most exciting film, but a MASTERPIECE that I hope one day (after watching it for nearly forty years) to fully and finally understand, once and for all.

3) Wagner's RING CYCLE--I'll finally have the time, and will have to acquire the patience, to appreciate this eternal opera.

4) Van Gogh's STARRY NIGHT--My friends and critics claim that my being a Pisces attracts me to this painting. I don't understand the connection, but will have (again) the time to further analyze both painting and claim.

5) My luxury item will have to be my wife Stefanie! We were out, the other day, shopping along Madison Avenue...well, never mind....

6) A Great and Forever Cup of Coffee: no cream, no sugar, no Starbucks!

7) My piano, and various pages of sheet music. By the way, is shipping/handling free?

Stanislaw
05-30-2007, 03:07 AM
- The Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy, simply an awesome book that can be used for a great many things
- dang, this is a tough one, The great dictator, because its incredibly funny, yet humanitarian.
3. You can only take one piece of music [an entire opera or cd by favourite musician/s]. Give title [and synopsis if you like]. Say why.
- Conversational Klingon, it would give me somebody to talk to, and if rescued i would be fluent in klingon. :thumbs_up
but if it has to be music, I would take along rebroff - my russian homeland, a very beutifle compilation.
4. You can take one piece of art or a photograph or an image. Give title if appropriate [and synopsis if you like]. Say why this is important to you.
- I would take the Our Lady Queen of Poland portrait with me, I think it would be spiritually uplifting and for me, my family has always had the portrait in our homes (well not the original)
- My tool chest (with the tools of course) not only would it be usefull, It would help me pass the time.
6. You can only take one item of indulgent food. What is it and what does it mean to you?
- Pierogy! Honestly the best food ever invented by any group on the planet.
7. There is one final item that you can take that is specific only to you and your needs. What is it? And say why.
- a fully stocked aircraft carrier? (if it needs to be smaller I suppose a violin would do well)

Lote-Tree
05-30-2007, 04:33 AM
[Admit I'm pinching the idea from BBC Radio 4, but it deviates from their norm].

How DARE YOU!!! :-)
Such blatant "plagarism"!!! :-)

DIY Surivival Guide. Why...erm for Survival?

Ray Meyers (?) Survival Guide? Why...erm for Survival?

Music has no Survival Value :-)

4. You can take one piece of art or a photograph or an image. Give title if

Art has no Survival Value :-)

The Internet :-)

I have no such indulges - am I normal? :-)

A boat. Why? to admire it :-)