PDA

View Full Version : A little help please?

polka-dots
05-25-2007, 06:04 AM
I'm writing an essay on Sherlock holmes (so far i've written about eleven and a half pages. I'm loving SH)
& I was wondering if anyone could help me with one bit.
For this part, I have to write about Holmes' character, which is easy enough.
Except:
"Although Holmes is a highly intelligent man, there is a sense of lonliness about him, allowing the reader to feel pity as well as admiration for him."
Is part of the essay question.
Can any of you give me any examples/quotes of him being a lonely man?
The plot thickens- I have only read, and can only mention five stories.

A Study In Scarlet
The Speckled Band
The Red-Headed League
The Man With The Twisted Lip
& The Blue Carbuncle

Help would be fantastic.
Thanks in advance :D

RoCKiTcZa
05-25-2007, 06:22 AM
i have a friend whose favorite book is Sherlock Holmes. Perhaps she might be able to help you.
Email her at:

[email protected]

would be very glad to help!

Sindhu
05-25-2007, 06:59 AM
I'll help- I likeHolmes-as a character, though not as a detective. So this is just right up my street. According to the time difference, it's already three hours past lunch time, so let me go and satisfy my grumbling stomach- and I'll get back to you.

ConanEdagawa
08-07-2007, 09:58 PM
In "A Study In Scarlet", towards the beggining, he is injured while stationed in India. Because of this, he is sent to England where he knows nobody. While there he decides to leave his hotel and find a cheaper place. Upon deciding this, he was in a bar where he met an old friend of his, it is there that he mentions he is alone. Hope this helped.

ConanEdagawa
08-07-2007, 10:02 PM
I'm sorry, i had not read enough and apparently jumped the gun, the man I'm reffering to wasn't Shirlock, sorry for the mix up.