PDA

View Full Version : HELLO and ALL OF THAT

GrayFoxDown
05-22-2007, 02:00 AM
Hello to one and all (give or take a few). I'm a newbie here at OnlineLit...at my age (53...but don't tell anyone) it's good to be somewhat "new" anywhere I could find an excuse for newness. In the days and ways to come, I hope you'll find my postings interesting and informative (or at least worthy of a certain morbid curiosity...I'll take anything!!!).

The author at the heart and soul of my existence is Charles Dickens. I'm fully aware that many love him and just as many hate him, while others are merely indifferent towards him. However,(dare I say it!) second only to Shakespeare, Dickens fascinates me and I'd like to offer my own modest views and interpretations of his works.

In addition to Boz, Opera and Ballet are my passions. My wife and I are legends (in our own minds at least) at Lincoln Center (Prokofiev is "cool" and Puccini and Verdi really know how to "lay down a tune").

In spite of this, I still require a healthy dose of an occasional Three Stooges Marathon...I don't care what anyone says!!! Best Regards and you'll be hearing from me soon...that's a threat. Thank you for listening,

GrayFoxDown:alien: :crash:

Haven
05-22-2007, 03:48 AM
Hello to one and all (give or take a few). I'm a newbie here at OnlineLit GrayFoxDown:alien: :crash:

Hi GrayFoxDown

I joined yesterday and have to say I like the look of the forum. It covers a lot of the ground that interests me, and really I have only just had a vague wander through. I am doing a degree in Humanities, so really this is home from home. A 'haven' in fact. ;) thus the choice of avatar name, okay, sorry explaining the obvious.

Sounds like you and your wife are very active in your pariticipation of the arts and extremely lucky to live within striking distance of the Lincoln Centre. Have to say Verdi's La Traviata is my favourite opera. Violetta is a truly tragic heroine.

I go to the theatre, but it is Shakespeare that has me in thrall at the moment. Also, as I live just outside London, The Globe is such a wonderful place to go.

Anyway, nice to meet you and say, hello. No doubt see you on the forums!

GrayFoxDown
05-22-2007, 05:05 AM
Hello Haven,

Thanks for your reply. I agree with your choice of favorite opera: LA TRAVIATA; this is Verdi at his best (even though his OTELLO and FALSTAFF are arguably far superior... on an artistic level anyway). Violetta is one of the most poignantly beautiful characters in opera. My first encounter with her was many years ago (1964 or so) when I was privileged to see Anna Moffo sing the role; hence, a lifetime's love of opera began for me.

I attended the Manhattan School of Music. While I never studied opera, I did study piano and became a teacher. I could only hope that I passed along my love for music, and the likes of Mozart and Rachmaninoff, to at least some of my students (amidst their deliriums of Kiss and Black Sabbath albums and the like).

I'll see you around the site. My personal favorite will be, as I mentioned, Dickens... and I'll show-up in that section; hopefully, with something brilliant(?) to offer. Greetings from the USA,

GrayFoxDown

kathycf
05-22-2007, 11:02 AM
Hello and welcome GrayFoxDown! I hope you and Haven both find the forum to be enjoyable and...well a haven. ;)

(and I won't mention your age at all....) :D

GrayFoxDown
05-22-2007, 01:12 PM
Thanks, kathycf...I'm glad to be here.

(And you could mention my age...I have a sense of humor.)

Virgil
05-22-2007, 01:39 PM
Hey, hello greyfox. Nice to have you aboard. I'm going grey myself and I go to Lincoln Center often myself. Only thing is that I go to the Philharmonic side, but I've been wanting to try the Opera for a while. I bet only we New Yorkers know where that is. Hope you enjoy the forum.

GrayFoxDown
05-22-2007, 07:06 PM
Hi, Virgil--

We must have passed each other many times throughout that artistic spread called Lincoln Center (I was the one with a look of bewildered creativity etched all over my face; so that narrows it down to a few million or so).

If you're new to opera and still need to hear the "fat lady sing," here's a suggestion: Try to make your first opera a Puccini work; if you desire to enjoy opera in general, even casually, he's bound to hook you in particular.

A Fellow New Yorker,
GrayFoxDown:thumbs_up

Virgil
05-23-2007, 06:56 AM
Thanks Grey Fox. I listen to opera on cd but just never actually been to a performance. I've been trying to actually find a Verdi opera to attend. He's my favorite, but I like Puccini too. :)