PDA

View Full Version : Razumihin

shanehodson
05-21-2007, 09:53 PM
I'm trying to come up with a list of practical reasons why Razumihin is in the novel. Does anyone have anything to add to this list:
-Serves as a foil to Raskolnikov; contrasting personalities
-Cares for Raskolnikov during his sickness
-Takes care of Dounia and Pulcheria; frees Raskolnikov to focus on himself/confess

Thanks

Gritt*
07-25-2007, 02:04 PM
Hummm...I don't really understand a point of your question. Do you think that Razumihin should not be in the novel?
I don't know, in my personal opinion he is very important character, and just because of his humanity gives a lightness to the whole story. Also,he is one and only Raskolnikov's friend, and his ,maybe biggest, moral support.

bkcello2
12-29-2007, 03:05 PM
Raz is in the book for many reasons. Obviously, he is a search engine for the truth, a representation of the 'good' and chaste portion of Ras' personality. He is his alter ego, the part of him he chooses to let win out in the end of the book by his acceptance of Christian love and salvation. Of course, he also serves an important role in the plot in acting as a go between the forces that serve to help Ras come to his redemption.;)

Wanderer_BW
01-16-2008, 12:34 PM
Well i think Dostoevsky always writes down his own struggles (like the existance of the god etc..) Razumihin is on of them too as well as Raskolnikov.

Nearly everyone feels himself as Raskolnikov,and Razumihin as his friend while reading the book.

And i think Rodya is the heart and Razumihin is the mind.So he is a must in this book i think :)