PDA

View Full Version : help!woolf's modern novel

evyline
05-20-2007, 11:36 AM
hi!firstly i'm sorry for my english...i have to answer to this question for my school and it's urgent!
here the question:what is "the modern novel" for Virginia Woolf?give reasons for your answer making any relevant reference to the passage we read from "Mrs Dalloway",the passage is the beginning of the book,it starts:"Mrs Dalloway said she would buy the flowers herself."AND IT ENDS:...what she loved;life;London;this moment of june"

i really thank you...by Eva

Haven
05-25-2007, 07:41 AM
hi!firstly i'm sorry for my english...i have to answer to this question for my school and it's urgent!
here the question:what is "the modern novel" for Virginia Woolf?give reasons for your answer making any relevant reference to the passage we read from "Mrs Dalloway",the passage is the beginning of the book,it starts:"Mrs Dalloway said she would buy the flowers herself."AND IT ENDS:...what she loved;life;London;this moment of june"

Hi Eva,
Don't know if you've tried searching this site that we are currently on, but prob well worth a go. It's a tricky one that you've posed here. To my way of understanding it Woolf's short-story Mrs Dalloway is considered to be the one in which she wrote in a style that was outside the common boundaries of fiction writing at the time. Woolf as a writer contributed significantly to the development of the modern novel form. Woolf's characters on the surface appear to be in control of their situation, but they are very introspective. They are trying to see beyond what is being presented to them. Clarissa Dalloway is very much that type of character. Honestly, there must be a lot of info on this on the Web, that would help you better than my efforts. Luck with the assignment.

Sir Bartholomew
06-19-2007, 09:25 PM
modern novel... hmmm... i think what virginia woolf was trying to achieve in that passage is Mrs Dalloway's perception of that June day in London. she wanted to create an impression of how Mrs Dalloway felt at that precise moment; a subjective interpretation of Mrs Dalloway's reaction to the people she remembers, and those things she hears and sees.

Anouch
11-01-2007, 11:55 AM
try answering it using modern novel writing techniques: subjectivism, stream of consciousness etc. Erich Auerbach makes a profound critical analysis of Mrs Dalloway in the essay " Brown Stocking". check it out