PDA

View Full Version : On Chapters 32, 33 and 34

ElissaDido
05-17-2007, 02:07 PM
I'm terribly confused when in Chapter 33, it mentions there that the name of the Count of Monte Cristo awakened in him some memories. And on Chapter 34, it seems like Franz and Albert have met the Count though there is no evidence of them meeting prior to the relation of Luigi Vampa's history.

Can somebody help me? Is this just an error in the online text? Or an error on Dumas?

nps_marina
05-17-2007, 03:29 PM
Hi Elissa!
I read the Count some time ago... I have grabbed the book from the shelf and leafed through the chapters you refer to, but I suppose I should read the whole thing again to make sure of anything... I don't know. I don't remember this whole thing sounding awkward to me when I first read it, but as I am saying, I read the book a while back and I have certainly forgotten details.
But anyway and, if it helps in anyway, Dumas was widely known for his literary inconsistencies, which range far and wide in The Three Musketeers. That's the one I am currently reading (along with a few other books).

ElissaDido
05-18-2007, 06:56 AM
@nps_marina: Thank you. I've advanced a little and figured that it's not they have met, but rather Signor Pastrini mentioned that the other occupant of the floor was the Count. I didn't find the lines that Signor Pastrini mentioned the name although I think it is assumed that he had. It was my bad. xP

Anyway, thank you. Things are cleared up now. :)

karolab
07-23-2007, 09:46 AM
well that depends which version you used?? I am reading the unabridged which has over 1,000pages,, the other books sometime leave out whole chapters,
Albert met the count on his Island some months prior to paris,, he wanted to go hunting and some men took him there, and was blindfolded and taken into his caves,
Franz did not meet him untill paris, Hope this helped,
BTW, what version did you read???
karolab

closedbyrequest
07-26-2007, 04:03 AM
Actually Franz didn't meet the Count again until Italy. Franz didn't go to Paris until his scheduled wedding.

Uberzensch
04-13-2009, 10:53 AM
Wasn't it Franz that met Sinbad the Sailor on the island? Albert first met the Count in Italy.