PDA

View Full Version : Questions of hamlet

commando
05-14-2007, 08:13 PM
One thing i never figured out was why did Claudius become king after King Hamlet was murdered? Wouldnt Hamlet have become king? Based off of my knowlege of how that type of stuff works is what led me to that conclusion, But maybe in Denmark it was different? Anyone know about that?

Also, the coucil members such as Polonius, was he the set person or do they change with the kings? Meaning, did polonius only come into the story because claudius became king?

Petrarch's Love
05-14-2007, 08:55 PM
In Denmark, and other Scandanavian countries it was traditionally an election rather than a firm rule of succession that determined the new king. This was not, of course, a democratic election. Only men of royal blood could be elected, and only a select group of nobles would vote. Claudius was certainly eligible to be elected king as the brother of the former king, and he strengthened his position by both marrying the queen, his former sister-in-law, and rushing things along before the son, Hamlet could return. Much of Claudius' opening speeches seem to be aimed at strengthening his position and reminding everyone that he was elected fair and square, while Hamlet mentions or implies a couple of times in the play that he thinks his uncle unfairly stole the election and the throne (see 3.4. 97-99 and 5.2.64).

Incidently, we see that there was a similar system in Norway, since there is an allusion at the start of the play to the way the uncle of young Fortinbras has succeeded to the Norwegian throne in a parallel situation of the brother taking precedence over the son. (1.2.28)

kittycatleigh
07-13-2007, 06:27 PM
One thing i never figured out was why did Claudius become king after King Hamlet was murdered? Wouldnt Hamlet have become king? Based off of my knowlege of how that type of stuff works is what led me to that conclusion, But maybe in Denmark it was different? Anyone know about that?

Also, the coucil members such as Polonius, was he the set person or do they change with the kings? Meaning, did polonius only come into the story because claudius became king?

My answer is complicated. In those times it was traditional for the throne to be past from father to eldest son. however if a king dies his throne can go to either his eldest son or the king's younger brother. Claudius was older than Hamlet and had therefore been a prince much longer, so in all fairness he deserved the throne. At least in the eyes of the court of denmark, who had no idea that Claudius killed his brother in order to obtain the throne. Also when King hamlet died, his son was away at university. Prince hamlet couldn't have become king because he wasn't present. He might have been able to dispute claudius's claim to the throne. However he was not ready to become king, and he openly admited that. also the same situation happened to Fortinbras. he was the son of the king of Norway. his father was killed (by king Hamlet) and his uncle claimed the throne of norway. that seems to be how it works.

hope that helped

Redzeppelin
07-15-2007, 10:43 AM
Hamlet provides a clue when he speaks of Claudius as he who "popp'd in between the election and my hopes." The "popped" may indicate that Claudius siezed the position (though more by diplomacy than force, which can be deduced from his behavior in 1.2).

all about me
09-15-2007, 06:21 AM
plz i have a HM about hamlet and i can't find anything about his appearance i also don't have enough time to reread the story

Crazy Writer
11-09-2007, 02:21 AM
Hey dude,
Well, I rekon Claudius must have wooed the courts/royal advisors before his brother's death. As the ghost tells Hamlet that Claudius cheated with his wife while he was around, so he must of been a trusted royal- someone that was always around. At the sudden death of King Hamlet at his hand, he probrably took on all the responsibilities of Hamlet, and proved to be prepared and ready to be King. Also, the fact that the Queen may have known she would not be a widow with her husbands death (as she did sleep with Cladius when her husband was around), could have ensured his position as King. Maybe if there was no possibility of her marrying someone else, Hamlet would be considered the next King.

About Polonious, he seems to have always been around and advisor to the King, as his daughter Ophelia seems to have been with Hamlet for a few years.

well, thats just my perspective, hope it helps!