PDA

View Full Version : Authors of Color

Admin
01-17-2002, 06:16 PM
My goal is simply to add the most popular english language works, simply because the most popular books bring in the most traffic.

I could definitely see adding something by Frederick Douglas or W.E.B Dubois in the future, but its is popularity, rather than race, that guides all of my choices.

One author you may not be aware of is Alexandre Dumas, I think most people just assume he was white.

http://www.online-literature.com/dumas/

Athena
I was admiring you expansive author list, however, there seems to be a lack of authors/poets of color. Many are very talented and their works have become classics. How about including Langston Hughes or Zora Neale Hurston. For poetry, there have been many influential Haiku writers. One book I strongly recommend is Ralph Elison's THE INVISIBLE MAN. (Happy reading! :) )

Athena
I just realized Hughes and Hurston might still be under copyright...I'm not sure. But you could check out Shiki Masaoka..a poet. He has been deceased for almost a century now.

happypidgeon
Hear, hear!

~Kris

KT
04-21-2002, 10:32 PM
If traffic is what you are after, increasing the variety of writers can only increase the receptiveness of your viewing audience. Think of it this way: although the writers of "color" may not be as well known as some of your writers already listed, many "readers of color" search for authors whose writings they can relate to in a deeper, personal level. Thus, by including some more "ethnicity" to your list of authors, you will get a stream of readers and seekers you wouldn't normally attract, in addition to your regular viewers.

Here is a list of American authors you might want to check out:
-James Weldon Johnson
-Jean Tommer
-Phyllis Wheatley
-James Baldwin
-Angelina Grimke
And here's a few you are probably are very familiar with:
-Booker T Washington
-Ralph Waldo Ellison
-Aesop (of the Fable fame )

KT
04-21-2002, 10:41 PM
If traffic is what you are after, increasing the variety of writers can only increase the receptiveness of your viewing audience. Think of it this way: although the writers of "color" may not be as well known as some of your writers already listed, many "readers of color" search for authors whose writings they can relate to in a deeper, personal level. Thus, by including some more "ethnicity" to your list of authors, you will get a stream of readers and seekers you wouldn't normally attract, in addition to your regular viewers.

Here is a list of American authors you might want to check out:
-James Weldon Johnson
-Jean Tommer
-Phyllis Wheatley
-James Baldwin
-Angelina Grimke
And here's a few you are probably are very familiar with:
-Booker T Washington
-Ralph Waldo Ellison
-Aesop (of the Fable fame )

happypidgeon
04-22-2002, 09:02 PM
Ooooohhhhh.... good point, KT! Well argued, in my opinion :)

~Kris

Admin
04-22-2002, 10:06 PM
Ralph Waldo Emerson (not Ellison) is already on the site:

http://www.online-literature.com/emerson/

KT
04-23-2002, 05:35 PM
Actually, I am talking about Ralph W. ELLISON: Author of The Invisible Man.

Admin
05-03-2002, 07:14 PM
http://www.online-literature.com/frederick_douglass/