PDA

View Full Version : Top Movie Soundtracks

andave_ya
05-09-2007, 08:08 PM
This site (I think it's from the UK) shows the top 50 movie soundtracks. And no, I didn't make it up even if the outstanding, genius, amazing, mind-boggling, fantastic, stunning Lord of the Rings soundtrack is number one. :p

http://www.classicfm.com/article.asp?id=395319

What soundtracks do you like listening to?

Idril
05-09-2007, 08:20 PM
I don't listen to a lot of soundtracks as a general rule. I only own 3, Singles, Garden State and Jesus Christ Superstar. I did have the 3 LOTR soundtracks but I never listened to them, in fact, I don't even know where they are. :blush: I'm happy to see The Mission soundtrack is on that list, there was some truly beautiful music in that movie.

Debrasue
05-09-2007, 08:22 PM
For me.....Andrew Lloyd Webber's 'Phantom of the Opera' movie soundtrack.....just beautiful........Gerard Butler's Phantom.....blew me away! And...tho he's not a trained *stage* singer....his voice is magnetic & sensual, emotional & passionate.......perfect for the intimacy required for the film.....definitely not your *typical* Phantom! ps..I recommend earphones if you have them...there's really nice, quiet singing....you'll never hear on the stage. It will break your heart......

CountingSheep
05-09-2007, 08:56 PM
A Beautiful Mind isn't there! Whatever... James Horner owns.

Shalot
05-09-2007, 09:12 PM
I like the LOTR soundtracks --- Concerning Hobbits is good. FOTR is the best out of the three.

And of course, Star Wars --- Revenge of the Sith is good for the office. It doesn't distract you when you're trying to concentrate and it breaks the silence.

ruhbr_ducky
05-09-2007, 11:18 PM
It is old but I still love City of Angles.

TEND
05-09-2007, 11:26 PM
Once Upon a Time in America :D

malwethien
05-09-2007, 11:33 PM
For me a good sountrack means that I like all the tracks in it.....so here's my list of good movie soundtracks....

1. Grosse Pointe Blank
2. Pride and Prejudice (2005)
3. My Best Friend's Wedding
4. The Wedding Singer
5. Moulin Rouge (I and II)
6. Jurassic Park

that's all I can remember right now....

crisaor
05-10-2007, 02:12 AM
Some which come to mind:

Pulp Fiction
Kill Bill, vol. 1
Ascenseur Pour L'echafaud

And of course, all the Star Wars related. :D

Stanislaw
05-10-2007, 04:14 AM
They are missing a few ;)

- Kundun - Phillip Glass
- 13th Warrior - Jerry Goldsmith
- Tears of the Sun - Hans Zimmer
- Batman - danny elfman
- Conan The barbarian - Basil Poledouris
- Hunt for the Red October - Basil Poledouris

but other than that, not too shabby a list!

Mark F.
05-10-2007, 04:41 AM
Poledouris's Conan the Barbarian soundtrack should be on there and Once Upon a Time in the West should be in the top three.

Niamh
05-10-2007, 06:12 AM
I dont agree with some of there choices.
but anyway...soundtracks i'd listen to...
I love the Braveheart Soundtrack
the mission
the piano
Jesus christ superstar rules!
Phamton of the opera
moulin rouge
and oddly enough i liked the soundtrack from King arthur.
Miss saigon
les Misserable

Stanislaw
05-10-2007, 06:25 AM
Jesus Christ Super Star was awesome, I quite agree! Though, I prefer the movie version of the songs, probably becaus I first heard them there, but I quite like the vocal dynamics of the actors in the movie

Niamh
05-10-2007, 06:50 AM
Jesus Christ Super Star was awesome, I quite agree! Though, I prefer the movie version of the songs, probably becaus I first heard them there, but I quite like the vocal dynamics of the actors in the movie

I didnt like tha movie... much prefare the stage performance which, as you say, was awesome!

Jay
05-10-2007, 07:23 AM
In no particular order:

1492: Conquest of Paradise - Vangelis
Sleepy Hollow - Danny Elfman
Pirates Of The Caribbean 1 - Klaus Badelt
Pirates Of The Caribbean 2 - Hans Zimmer
The Chronicles Of Narnia - Harry Gregson-Williams
The Rock - Hans Zimmer & Nick Glennie-Smith & Harry Gregson-Williams & James Newton Howard
Gladiator Special Anniversary Edition - Hans Zimmer & Lisa Gerrard
King Arthur - Hans Zimmer
The 13th Warrior - Jerry Goldsmith
The Last Of The Mohicans - Randy Edelman & Trevor Jones
The Phantom Of The Opera - Andrew Lloyd Webber (the newest one)
Van Helsing - Alan Silvestri
Eragon - Patrick Doyle

And I think that's all I can recall right now. Could you tell that I'm a soundtrack nut? :D

andave_ya
05-10-2007, 11:32 AM
Yeah! glad to see that people who aren't nutty like me enjoy the LOTR soundtracks.

vheissu
05-10-2007, 12:20 PM
Most of the ones that I like have already been mentioned, LOTR being one of my favourites as well, along with Amelie's soundtrack by Yann Tiersen.
Some from the Corpse Bride where good as well. I think Danny Elfman did it, but I'm not too sure.
Can't think of more right now....though with soundtracks I never know titles or who's done them....

Mark F.
05-10-2007, 02:06 PM
The jazzy piano from Coppola's The Conversation should be on there, great unsung film.

Idril
05-10-2007, 03:20 PM

I was the opposite. I was more familar with the Broadway version of the soundtrack and even though I saw the movie a million times, when I would listen to the soundtrack, the Broadway one seemed the more "correct" but since my brother borrowed that one and the only one left me is the movie version, I've grown quite used to that one now. :rolleyes:

I didnt like tha movie... much prefare the stage performance which, as you say, was awesome!

I liked the stage performance but the movie will always be my preference. The dynamics of the actors in the movie was stunning and in the stage version, at least the one I saw, Jesus and Mary were flirting and even though my theology is quite liberal, I don't like the idea of Mary and Jesus flirting, I'm hopelessly conservative when it comes to that. :blush:

Serenata
05-10-2007, 04:19 PM
I like the soundtracks for Elizabethtown.

B-Mental
05-11-2007, 12:48 PM
I can only think of 2, the soundtrack for Resevoir Dogs, and Desperado. Both have captured a feeling of the movie.

Scheherazade
05-11-2007, 02:19 PM
the pianoGreat one. I don't come across many people who even actually remember this movie, unfortunately.
The Phantom Of The Opera - Andrew Lloyd Webber (the newest one)Love 'Conquest of Paradise', too but I prefer 'Phantom''s Sarah Brightman's version ('Phantom' is a musical anyway, is it not? :))

Love the theme from 'Jaws' movies as well. I've been known to walk around 'singing' it.

kenikki
05-11-2007, 03:13 PM
Movie soundtracks I really like:
Trainspotting
Pulp Fiction
The Godfather
Easy Rider
Grease
My favourite by far is the Requiem For A Dream one but that's only beacuse it's my favourite film

Very funny and novelty ones...
South Park
Team America

manolia
05-11-2007, 04:01 PM
I love the soundtracks from the movies "Le double vie de Veronique", "Blade Runner" (Vangelis), "Dracula" (Kilar), "The time of the Gypsies" and "Underground" (Bregovic), "Once upon a time in America". There are so many..

RobinHood3000
06-09-2007, 11:26 AM
Virtually ANYTHING by John Williams. Indiana Jones, Star Wars, the list goes on...

Weisinheimer
06-09-2007, 12:01 PM
A Beautiful Mind isn't there! Whatever... James Horner owns.
Yeah, I think that's my favorite soundtrack.

Lily Adams
06-09-2007, 12:16 PM
Oh, I'm all about movie soundtracks! I have about eight hours worth on my MP3 player. It's the biggest genre on it. I must say my favorite movie soundtrak composer is Danny Elfman, (So basically all of his sopundtracks for the Tim Burton films ar my favorite, especially the Mars Attacks! one which I was a geek enough to buy the complete limited edition soundtrack for $40 on Ebay. :blush: My second favorite soundtrack of his would have to be the Corpse Bride OST. I've heard about the amazingness of his work for the movie Black Beauty, but I've yet to see the movie or hear the soundtrack. :( ) but I like the works of Hans Zimmer, (I.e. Wallace and Gromit: The Curse of the Were Rabbit soundtrack) and Michiru Oshima.(The lady who did the soundtrack for the Fullmetal Alchemist. Oh wait that's a TV show. Well, it's a movie, too. :p )

So yeah. Danny Elfman is #1!

Video Drone
06-09-2007, 02:40 PM
Hmm... among the stuff that I payed enough attention to in order to download:

1. Marty Simon - LEXX Season 1 OST
2. Howard Shore - The Fly
3. Howard Shore - Videodrome
4. Michael Nyman - Gattaca
5. Alan Silvestri - Van Helsing
6. Howard Shore - Lord of the Rings

I did note some other tracks, but I didn't go as far as getting them.

SleepyWitch
06-09-2007, 06:06 PM
Hannibal - Hans Zimmer
LotR, of course

Star Trek and Star Wars are nice, too :)

kilted exile
06-09-2007, 06:09 PM
Pulp Fiction
Trainspotting

EAP
06-09-2007, 07:10 PM
1. Dil Se
2. Armaan
3. Kal Ho Na Ho
4. Mughal-e-Azam
5. Kuch Kuch Hota Hai
6. Tum Bin
7. Se7en
8. Legends of the Fall
9. Trainspotting
10. My Fair Lady

Shurtugal
06-09-2007, 08:54 PM
In no particular order:

Sleepy Hollow - Danny Elfman
Pirates Of The Caribbean 1 - Klaus Badelt
Pirates Of The Caribbean 2 - Hans Zimmer
The Chronicles Of Narnia - Harry Gregson-Williams
The Rock - Hans Zimmer & Nick Glennie-Smith & Harry Gregson-Williams & James Newton Howard
Gladiator Special Anniversary Edition - Hans Zimmer & Lisa Gerrard
King Arthur - Hans Zimmer
The 13th Warrior - Jerry Goldsmith
The Last Of The Mohicans - Randy Edelman & Trevor Jones
The Phantom Of The Opera - Andrew Lloyd Webber (the newest one)
Van Helsing - Alan Silvestri
Eragon - Patrick Doyle

And I think that's all I can recall right now. Could you tell that I'm a soundtrack nut? :D

hellow enchanted creature of the world. you couldn't be more right about narnia and eragon. they are one of the best! also, don't forget the Peter Pan soundtrack, it makes you feel like flying out the window sometimes and other times it makes you want dance with your beloved, at least to me. oh wait you have the composer on up there. oh and last, but not least, Harry Potter and the Sorceress stone soundtrack. my personal favorite is, Andya already knows, Chronicals of Narnia (in "THe Battle" i grab the wooden sword that me and my dad made and act out fighting seens that run threw my head, though it is hard with no one there to hit) and (as i have mentioned) Peter Pan. they are truly the best! :thumbs_up . i have listened to lord of the rings several times with Andya. but that's about it. and we were working on my story so i couldn't get a good ear of it.

P.s. by the way for those of you that don't know, when my quotes say Argetlam, it's me it's refering to. thought you would be intregde to know that until i tell people that on my singnature. sorry this part wasn't about soundtracks.

bazarov
06-10-2007, 04:31 AM
The Godfather, Irony of destiny and Braveheart.

AimusSage
06-10-2007, 06:33 AM
As mentioned before in this thread, the Conan soundtrack is one of the best. Basil Poledouris was a great composer, his soundtrack for The Hunt for Red October is also a masterpiece.

kratsayra
06-10-2007, 09:58 PM
and Michiru Oshima.(The lady who did the soundtrack for the Fullmetal Alchemist. Oh wait that's a TV show. Well, it's a movie, too. :p )

Hehe. I'm a Fullmetal Alchemist fan too. :) Some of those songs get quite catchy after you've heard them a bunch of times. I never thought of getting a soundtrack, though. I'll have to check that out . . .

The soundtrack list has left out the main theme from The Good, the Band, and the Ugly. It is excellent. Although they do have a lot of other Morricone. Hmm.

papayahed
06-10-2007, 10:12 PM
Priscilla Queen of the Desert
Rocky Horror Picture Show
Pulp Fiction
Trick or Treat (anybody remember that gem?)
Grease
Rent

RobinHood3000
06-10-2007, 10:18 PM
Don't forget Back To The Future. :p

papayahed
06-10-2007, 10:29 PM
Oh Yeah. And:

Footloose

BibliophileTRJ
06-11-2007, 12:24 PM
Footloose

You've dated yourself with that response, Papaya...... I'm going to do the same.

The Big Chill
Little Shop of Horrors
Nightmare Before Christmas
The Full Monty
The Muppet Movie
Beverly Hills Cop

RobinHood3000
06-11-2007, 01:51 PM
...Dirty Dancing?

cows
06-11-2007, 08:07 PM
I tried to read so as not to repeat myself, butgot lazy:

-Donnie Darko (fit the movie so damn well)
-Requiem For A Dream (where your Clint Mansell Orchestra - from LOTR - was first used)

Weisinheimer
06-11-2007, 08:56 PM
I liked the music for Curious George :lol:, I think it was by Jack Johnson.

papayahed
06-12-2007, 01:08 PM
You've dated yourself with that response, Papaya...... I'm going to do the same.

The Big Chill
Little Shop of Horrors
Nightmare Before Christmas
The Full Monty
The Muppet Movie
Beverly Hills Cop

HaHa, more dating myself:

Purple Rain
Reality Bites

BlueSkyGB
06-12-2007, 02:11 PM
The Commitments (1991).....includes these classics....

Try A Little Tenderness
Take Me To The River
In The Midnight Hour
Chain Of Fools
Mustang Sally
Treat Her Right
Hard To Handle
Nowhere To Run
Destination Anywhere
Dark End Of The Street

Haven
06-12-2007, 03:12 PM
The Commitments (1991).....includes these classics....
...Dirty Dancing

In my opinion,these two movies have the best sound-tracks, but already done.
Mermaids had the Shoop, shoop song [it's in his kiss], Big Girls Don't Cry, Blame it on the Bossanova. So some good ones there.

Has 'Flashdance' been done? "What A Feeling..."

mtpspur
06-13-2007, 02:22 AM
Witness
The Great Escape
Bridge on the River Kwai
Once Upon a Time in the West
You Only Live Twice
Star Trek: The Motion Picture

jon1jt
06-13-2007, 02:29 AM
i'm have the soundtracks for the movies, Almost Famous and City of Angels.

Best All-Time would have to go to Saturday Night Fever.

Annamariah
06-13-2007, 09:57 AM
The Phantom of The Opera (2004) by Andrew Lloyd Webber
The Prince of Egypt by Stephen Schwartz and Hans Zimmer
Star Wars by John Williams

*Classic*Charm*
06-13-2007, 01:44 PM
Anything composed and/or conducted by Hans Zimmer, especially Pirates and Hannibal. His adaptation of Dante's La Vita Nuova into an opera is fantastic.

Lily Adams
06-13-2007, 11:12 PM
Hehe. I'm a Fullmetal Alchemist fan too. Some of those songs get quite catchy after you've heard them a bunch of times. I never thought of getting a soundtrack, though. I'll have to check that out . . .

The soundtrack list has left out the main theme from The Good, the Band, and the Ugly. It is excellent. Although they do have a lot of other Morricone. Hmm.

Awesome! It's the only anime I watch. :nod: The soundtracks are great. Very emotional.

Don't forget Back To The Future.

Dah! I love this movie! The soundtrack is great, too. :) I so want a DeLorean for my car in addition to my Rolls Royce Silver Ghost and my Versailles horse carriage. Okay, getting off topic, sorry. :p

By the way, where are the Danny Elfman fans? He won against John Williams and Howard Shore for best composer in the XM Radio contest. 9It was the XM Radio contest, right? anyways, I voted for him . :) His band, Oingo Boingo, is really amazing, too. His music sends tingles up my spine.

RobinHood3000
06-14-2007, 09:43 AM
Bah - humbug. :mad: Danny Elfman, though talented, is not as good John Williams (as far as I'm cnocerned). I will give Elfman credit for good fantasy scores, but a large portion of his work sounds mostly the same. The same is true of John Williams, but in a much vaguer sense.

Have you ever seen anyone go into a geek-powered frenzy about the opening crawl of Batman and its sweeping orchestral score in the era of synthesizer-happy electronica? I didn't think so.

RobinHood3000
06-14-2007, 09:45 AM
Anything composed and/or conducted by Hans Zimmer, especially Pirates and Hannibal. His adaptation of Dante's La Vita Nuova into an opera is fantastic.Regarding the Pirates score, don't forget to give at least some credit to Klaus Badelt.

Lily Adams
06-15-2007, 03:05 AM
Bah - humbug. :mad: Danny Elfman, though talented, is not as good John Williams (as far as I'm cnocerned). I will give Elfman credit for good fantasy scores, but a large portion of his work sounds mostly the same. The same is true of John Williams, but in a much vaguer sense.

Have you ever seen anyone go into a geek-powered frenzy about the opening crawl of Batman and its sweeping orchestral score in the era of synthesizer-happy electronica? I didn't think so.

Oh come now, Robin! I'm living proof of that "geek powered frenzy" for Elfman music. :D Been an Elfman fan since I was eleven, now! It all started with the Beetlejuice OST for me. :nod: Like I said, tingles!

But we all have different tastes. I must I say I like John Williams' work as well, (The soundtrack for War of the Worlds was great.) but I haven't heard enough to compare it to Danny's work. Sorry.

kiobe
06-15-2007, 03:37 PM
The Blues Brothers.
That Thing You Do.
Pulp Fiction.
Big Chill.

papayahed
06-15-2007, 04:58 PM
The Blues Brothers.

How could I forgett hat one? Aretha in slippers - Classic.

Another one I thought of -

Trick or Treat

Shurtugal
07-26-2007, 08:56 PM
oh, just heard a new soundtrack, add this to my list- eragon! it's awsome!

RobinHood3000
07-27-2007, 10:58 AM
Oh come now, Robin! I'm living proof of that "geek powered frenzy" for Elfman music. :D Been an Elfman fan since I was eleven, now! It all started with the Beetlejuice OST for me. :nod: Like I said, tingles!

But we all have different tastes. I must I say I like John Williams' work as well, (The soundtrack for War of the Worlds was great.) but I haven't heard enough to compare it to Danny's work. Sorry.
John Williams: Star Wars. Jaws. The Indiana Jones films. Superman. Valley of the Dolls. Hook.

John Williams is singlehandedly responsible for some of the greatest movie scores in cinema history.

Elly_blue
07-27-2007, 01:12 PM
My favourite composer is definately Howard Shore. I love the way in which he created this dark, kind of claustrophobic atmosphere in Silence of the Lambs.

Riesa
07-27-2007, 01:21 PM
Has anyone mentioned 'Until The End of The World?'

Video Drone
07-27-2007, 06:00 PM
Hm, isn't that a song ELO have?
John Williams: Star Wars. Jaws. The Indiana Jones films. Superman. Valley of the Dolls. Hook.
Very mediocre, if you ask me. I was never tempted to get an OST of his.

kiobe
07-27-2007, 11:17 PM
How could I forgett hat one? Aretha in slippers - Classic.

Another one I thought of -

Trick or Treat

When she sings, I get goose bumps and watery eyes. I love Aretha. :D

RobinHood3000
07-28-2007, 09:49 AM
Very mediocre, if you ask me. I was never tempted to get an OST of his.Nyeh. Blasphemer! :p

AuntShecky
07-30-2007, 01:02 PM
I don't really agree with the choices on the list. It's top-heavy with John Williams, and if it's going to include a "Newman," where's Randy?
What about these movies:
Paris Blues, Anatomy of a Murder, Man With the Golden Arm, 'Round Midnight, etc.
More contemporary movies whose soundtracks really contributed to the film (rather than mere background music):
Little Miss Sunshine
Sideways
V is for Vendetta

NickAdams
08-12-2007, 09:47 PM
Brick
Eyes Wide Shut

Bakiryu
08-12-2007, 10:43 PM
Phantom of the Opera and Moulin ROuge!