PDA

View Full Version : Taming of the shrew... the whole story

Vittoria666
05-08-2007, 09:41 AM
Hi People!!

I am new here and trying to settle in, so far looks cozy. :lol:

SSSSSSSSSooooooooooo.
Taming Of The shrew.. Awesome book, complex language.. who found it a little boring?
Did you know that this novle was made into a movie called 10 Things I Hate About You.. starring Julia Styles and Heath Ledger!!
Really cool movie for teens to whatch.

negoeyore
05-16-2007, 03:37 PM
I never knew that was what the movie was made about! I didn't really like Taming of the Shrew too much. I mean, Shakespeare's very good with writing it, but was he even ever married?

A N Ravencroft
05-28-2007, 10:13 PM
Yes he was and I think he had two daughters...correct me if I'm wrong...Other than the movie mention there is also The Taming of the Shrew with Liz Taylor and Richard Burton it is VERY good. It totally skips the Christopher Sly part of the play but other than that it's great.

Bakiryu
05-28-2007, 10:34 PM
That's my favorite movie! I don't like the book much thiouhgth.

Amaryllis
06-04-2007, 10:33 PM
The Taming of the Shrew... AWFUL:sick:! Shakespeare too had imperfections. Yes he was married and had three children - a daughter and a set of maternal twins. The male twin died at the age of eleven. (Intro The Necessary Shakespeare by David Bevington). Try Othello it has beautiful poetry and the universal truth that through rash decisions you may meet your demise.

Redzeppelin
06-04-2007, 11:11 PM
Shrew is a fascinating play because it probes relationships between men and women, but more importantly, between angry people and the people who care about them. I think there is a tendency for people to get so hung up on the genders involved that they miss Shakespeare's story of one angry person "liberated" by someone who cares enough to try and free her. Put aside the genders of who is involved and see if the story doesn't say something positive about working as a team.

Amaryllis
06-08-2007, 10:48 PM
Shrew is a fascinating play because it probes relationships between men and women, but more importantly, between angry people and the people who care about them. I think there is a tendency for people to get so hung up on the genders involved that they miss Shakespeare's story of one angry person "liberated" by someone who cares enough to try and free her. Put aside the genders of who is involved and see if the story doesn't say something positive about working as a team.

Free her or own her as his latest trophy?

Redzeppelin
06-12-2007, 05:30 PM
Free her or own her as his latest trophy?

You must provide some sort of textual support for this idea. I think we do literature a great disservice when we filter it through our ideological "lenses" without trying to see what it has to say about people. If the roles were reversed or of both the same gender, would you have the same issue? I'm willing to bet not. Would you be offended by a role reversal, or would you nod your head and say "Yep - that's right. Men need a good woman to 'knock the rough edges off of'"? I think there is more comedy in the current configuration because of the "war of the sexes" that has always gone on.

Is it possible that we are so hypersensitive to issues of gender and race these days that we can miss the point of something because we're caught up in our ideologies?

Short answer: Padua had plenty of attractive and docile women with good doweries that could have performed equally as well as "trophies." Why pick the scary one and risk being eternally joined to "hell"?